PDA

View Full Version : Soldering embellishment before or after bending

Ruedeleglise
09-08-2021, 05:42 PM
I have to decorate a 5mm x 1.5mm strip of silver with a Celtic knot that I have fashioned and soldered together. This knot will master the strip by a good 2 mm either side and is 25 mm in length. This strip will be radiused into a bangle. In your opinions can I solder this onto the strip when flat and then bend or should I bend the strip then apply the Celtic knot to it, then solder it in place? I am worried the knot may either deform too much or the solder points be forced apart…(unlikely if soldered well) if I bend after soldering. Equally if I bend both independently, will I be able to keep the knot closely enough applied to solder it well……?
David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CJ57
09-08-2021, 07:23 PM
Am I to understand that the knot doesn’t lie flush so isn’t a pierced design. Pics would be good

Ruedeleglise
09-08-2021, 07:38 PM
Am I to understand that the knot doesn’t lie flush so isn’t a pierced design. Pics would be good

Yes you are right. Not pierced. Made from 1.5 mm diameter silver wire.
This is a mock up of the item.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalkthttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210809/7a142b851ac85172ba45fe4788f34549.jpg

Ruedeleglise
09-08-2021, 07:52 PM
Yes you are right. Not pierced. Made from 1.5 mm diameter silver wire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalkt

Ruedeleglise
09-08-2021, 08:05 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210809/cfe12c685aee8363cfb04e8f2dc90d44.jpg

Dennis
09-08-2021, 08:05 PM
Quite easy to solder on after shaping, but you'll need clamps or binding wire.

Would also suggest refining the embellishment beforehand to remove excess solder. Dennis.

Ruedeleglise
09-08-2021, 08:08 PM
Must apologise for the disjointed post but I got my iPad in a tangle and I am not at home with my lap top!

CJ57
09-08-2021, 08:20 PM
I was just about to say the same as Dennis. If you shape it over the same curve as the bangle and then clip it then it should be easy. And what Denis said about prepping the knot first

Ruedeleglise
09-08-2021, 08:26 PM
Ah well….in for a penny, in for a pound….am going for the bend first option. Photos will, I promise follow so you can see the errr result!
Watch this space!

Dennis
10-08-2021, 10:13 AM
Re the soldering:
I have made one of these quickly, not as neatly as yours, just to illustrate that being sparing with the solder and soldering from the back, you get less solder showing where it matters. In fact I could have used even less.

Also it is not possible to flatten the back by hammering for a closer fit, without spoiling the front. Far better to file and sand the back. Possibly with a flap wheel on a power tool held in a vice, or on your pillar drill.

My recommendation would be to make the knot again, to up your game. Dennis.

Ruedeleglise
10-08-2021, 11:01 AM
Yes, I found making the knot quite a trial. I now have to admit that I got up this morning with one object in mind……make it. I opted in the end to solder both flat the bend. I am not disappointed with the result but yes, less solder and flattening from the back would have all contributed to a better final product. However at the end of the day….a lot learnt and at the same time not a disaster! I add that I had just finished polishing when I saw your last post! Too late to go back on this one , but in the memory bank for the next! Thanks for your and Caroline’s advice and ideas. Final photos to be attached…I hope!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210810/5a92d74bc2df26bdc09cc1d39c1a4c31.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210810/a9b69708b456ce1096031995db679843.jpg

Ruedeleglise
12-08-2021, 04:46 PM
No comments from my usual gurus! It wasn’t that bad ,was it?

CJ57
12-08-2021, 05:15 PM
No not bad but it would have been possible to remove some of the excess solder before soldering the 2 together, to give the knot more definition. As I keep on telling my OH when he’s enamelling on fold form it’s all about the prep.
You could still take some wet and dry to the accessible areas that look a little lumpy in the photo but perhaps aren’t as obvious to the naked eye! Perhaps a needle file up the centre channel to define the 2 wires. It’s easier to do earlier in the process compared to the time spent on the finished product
I’m off to do a bit of refinishing to the pieces back from the exhibition as the camera isn’t a friend to little flecks of firestain. Once the camera doesn’t pick it up I’ll be happy

Ruedeleglise
12-08-2021, 05:20 PM
Yes I think I will do a bit more “housework” on it especially the channel between the two . As you say the camera isn’t a very good friend, but now I look more critically I see exactly what you mean. Thanks for your observations and advice.
David.

CJ57
12-08-2021, 06:20 PM
Yes I think I will do a bit more “housework” on it especially the channel between the two . As you say the camera isn’t a very good friend, but now I look more critically I see exactly what you mean. Thanks for your observations and advice.

David.

Maybe the camera is a better friend than we think, if it shows up the flaws and imperfection then we can choose to ignore them as most others don’t see them or we can perfect as many as we can therefore making our work better and improving our skills. Apart from finishing its better to deal with them at each stage of the work as the time wasted at the end is a waste of working time

Gosh that was profound, must have been the shiatsu :)

Dennis
12-08-2021, 07:16 PM
Well I didn't want to grumble any more, after you decided to use what you had this time round, David.

It did occur to me for next time that:
If you could solder the stems of the loops, and curve them, then before combining the two into a knot, a saw blade would quickly re-define the groove. That curve would give you easy access. Dennis.

CJ57
12-08-2021, 08:10 PM
Well that was another reason Dennis. You and I could turn into the odd couple!

Ruedeleglise
13-08-2021, 07:24 AM
Well I didn't want to grumble any more, after you decided to use what you had this time round, David.

It did occur to me for next time that:
If you could solder the stems of the loops, and curve them, then before combining the two into a knot, a saw blade would quickly re-define the groove. That curve would give you easy access. Dennis.

Wouldn’t call it a grumble….a constructive criticism / guidance more like! As I said I had chosen the solder flat then bend before I saw your comment.