PDA

View Full Version : Total mess.

Pandanimal
02-10-2009, 04:37 PM
I got up the courage to open my packet of art clay today. And I wish I hadn't.
I lined up all my tools, got a little pot to put scraps and scrapings in, dropped a pool of olive oil on a folded kitchen towel to oil my fingers but not over do it.
I found some leaves in the garden that I planed to roll onto the clay to create texture.
So far so good.
The clay seemed very stiff, so I tried massaging it between cling film but it didn't help, so I tried to roll it out any way and it cracked as I thought it would and didn't take on the texture of the leaves very well.

I scraped it off the board I was using and rolled it into a sausage and it seemed to become more pliable so I tried coiling it and rolling it with a leaf on top again but this time it stuck firm to the board and I could only scrape it up.
Should I of oiled the board (its perspex)?
What else did I do wrong?

By this time my fingers were caked in it too, so all in all a total disaster, but I do now have a pot of slip.:(|

Emerald
02-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Hi
Julia i am sure one of the others will along in a mo to sort you out, the first time i worked with art clay i used the slow dry and was very happy with it, the second time i used just the normal and as you did got in a right mess and the third time i used PMC a huge difference a lot more pliable and not so quick to dry, I also use playing card to roll mine out on with alittle oil xx

bustagasket
02-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Hun speak to Nic (Murano) she can tell you exactly how to condition the clay - dont give up have a chat with her [[]]

Pandanimal
02-10-2009, 06:38 PM
i guess i should go find a course near me.

bustagasket
02-10-2009, 06:45 PM
i wish you could have come with me huni

MuranoSilver
02-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Think if silver clay like bread dough / pastry. :D
If it's sticky don't even *think* of rolling it out or pressing stuff into it.
All you'll end up with is something that sticks all over the place.
Unless your fingers are cracked and dry you shouldn't need to oil them
- properly conditioned clay doesn't stick to your fingers. :Y:

You know when you make pastry and it's perfectly pliable
that's the texture you're aiming for...
If it cracks round the edges when you roll it
then it's too dry, if it's sticky its too wet.

To add moisture flatten the clay, moisten your finger in your water pot
then smear moisture across the clay & fold it in.
You only need the teensiest tiniest bit of oil to stop it sticking to mats or rollers.
If you use to much then you'll end up layering the oil into the clay (which will stop it sticking to itself)

When you massage the clay in cling film do it relatively slowly (otherwise the
friction will dry it too). For a leaf roll out the clay, roll or press the leaf into the clay.
LEAVE the leaf on the clay. Cut round the leaf and "leaf" it to dry.

Once dry either gently ease the leaf off or better still fire it with the leaf on and the leaf will burn away :)

Hope that helps
Nic xx

Pandanimal
02-10-2009, 08:18 PM
does it help if you warm the clay before you use it?

MuranoSilver
02-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Nope that would make it dry quicker :)

bustagasket
02-10-2009, 09:28 PM
told you that you needed to speed to nic hun :D

Di Sandland
03-10-2009, 08:14 AM
I got up the courage to open my packet of art clay today. And I wish I hadn't.
I lined up all my tools, got a little pot to put scraps and scrapings in, dropped a pool of olive oil on a folded kitchen towel to oil my fingers but not over do it.
I found some leaves in the garden that I planed to roll onto the clay to create texture.
So far so good.
The clay seemed very stiff, so I tried massaging it between cling film but it didn't help, so I tried to roll it out any way and it cracked as I thought it would and didn't take on the texture of the leaves very well.

I scraped it off the board I was using and rolled it into a sausage and it seemed to become more pliable so I tried coiling it and rolling it with a leaf on top again but this time it stuck firm to the board and I could only scrape it up.
Should I of oiled the board (its perspex)?
What else did I do wrong?

By this time my fingers were caked in it too, so all in all a total disaster, but I do now have a pot of slip.:(|

Snap - I have decided that silver clay and me are not a match made in heaven. I've fired some bits in the kiln and, yes, it is magical but I don't have a delicate touch (although my pastry is to die for!).

If I wanted to throw my money away I'd just cut it up and bin it, thereby eliminating the cost of firing up the kiln!

Gemsations
08-01-2010, 12:23 AM
Don't give up!! I have been using it for the past 18 months and am starting one day workshops next month.

First - use badger balm, less sticky and you need to rub it sparingly on your hands, tools and work mat plus roller.

Second - knead it gently in clingfilm. You want a firm and pliable clay.

Third - roll it out gently using playing cards or plastic strips for the depth. 4 cards = 1 ml.

Fourth - Use cutters to cut out your shapes and leave to dry on a plate warmer for 20 minutes or air dry for 24 hours. Sand carefully and blowtorch for 2 minutes.

Hope you find this helpful.

Petal
08-01-2010, 07:04 AM
How have you got on then Pandanimal ???

Emerald
08-01-2010, 07:24 AM
How have you got on then Pandanimal ???

mmm Jules dont know how to tell you this but it is another resurrected Thread Pandanimal posted this in October he he

Petal
08-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Ahh, I suppose I read it and then saw Gemstations reply and thought it was active #-o Its cos I haven't been out for four days and am going bonkers! Very excited tho, cos we are going to have a go at driving down our very steep hill to the outside world! yipee The most tricky bit is getting back up it!

xxx

Emerald
08-01-2010, 10:43 AM
ooooh good luck i havent driven since tuesday when i got stuck but i will have to go out later to get the kids i suppose x

ben b
08-01-2010, 01:52 PM
LEAVE the leaf on the clay. Cut round the leaf and "leaf" it to dry.
Nic xx

#-o

NO......no......

MuranoSilver
08-01-2010, 02:53 PM
lol - ahem you read the instructions carefully
:rofl:
nic x