PDA

View Full Version : my new peace of jewellery :D

silver Girl
02-10-2009, 03:45 PM
hi guys
I've just finished my new bracelet
what do you think??

(click on the pic if you can't see it well)

bustagasket
02-10-2009, 03:55 PM
very sweet! Love that blue!

snow_imp
02-10-2009, 03:58 PM
I think that blue against the silver works really well. Congratulations :)

Jayne
02-10-2009, 04:34 PM
ooh, I think that's really cute :)
how did you make the shaped bit around the setting?
J x

amazingbabe
02-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Very nice!! What stone is it?? Is it bezel set ??

Lisa Quinn
02-10-2009, 05:58 PM
That's a really sweet bracelet and what a striking stone , what is it? Was the stone hard to bezel set in the recess?

Lisa x

MuranoSilver
02-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Can't see the picture that well but from what I can see it's pretty
nic xx

mizgeorge
02-10-2009, 08:13 PM
I can't see it well enough to be able to comment.

It looks quite a nice colour though.

silver Girl
03-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Can't see the picture that well but from what I can see it's pretty
nic xx

have you try click on the picture? , it will bring it up bigger

Di Sandland
03-10-2009, 05:40 PM
The problem is Silver that its still out of focus when you click on it and not very close up :(

silver Girl
04-10-2009, 11:20 AM
ok , I've done a close up of it , so I hope you can see the one well enought [-o< ( try click on the picture if it's to small)

MuranoSilver
04-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi Silver girl it's still pretty blurry, how are you taking your pictures?
It might be worth getting a £10 tripod to put your camera on,
(especially as you'll need good clear images for any website pics you do).

It will never produce award winning pics but a tripod and macro setting would
much improve your pic quality. :)
Can't wait to see the bracelet in all it's glory
nic xx

silver Girl
04-10-2009, 02:21 PM
I give up :(|:(|:(:(

caroleallen
04-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Don't give up Silver Girl, just take Nic's good advice. You will need some really good images for your website.

Boo
04-10-2009, 06:36 PM
I have a tutorial on taking jewellery photos for using on-line which might give you some ideas. As has been said already, if you want to sell on-line you will need to master many skills that you perhaps haven't anticipated - and good photographs are absolutely essential - have a look at my site and see the range and quality of photos and presentation I use to sell my work: Boo's Hand Crafted Jewellery. (http://www.boo-jewellery.co.uk)

Tutorial: Taking photographs of hand made products to sell on-line (http://www.boo.myzen.co.uk/artisan.html)

The Dragon
04-10-2009, 09:18 PM
No don't give up silver girl, my pictures looked just like that when I first started. I'm completely incapable of holding a camera steady enough to take good pictures, probably because I can't sit still for five minutes. I've spent quite a bit of time reading what people have put on the forum about photography which has helped a lot, although I still have a long way to go. I get so frustrated that what should be a simple process, just point and shoot, isn't and I have to try really hard to work out a way to get what I want.

snow_imp
05-10-2009, 08:32 AM
No, don't give on the photography. My initial results were blurry and too dark. I had to ask a friend who does a photography a lot of questions about how to use my camera and spent a lot of time looking at the results to try and sort out good results. I took 10s of photos just to get 1 decent one for use in my album.

I also read Boo's articles although I haven't got a bird food bucket to turn into a studio at the moment so am looking around to see if I have anything else similar to try using.

It does get easier - I promise. [[]]

Solunar Silver Studio
05-10-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm trying Boo's idea out too. I've used a 5 litre plastic food store type of container from the 'cheapest' supermarket chain but I've no doubt the others do similar. It cost me around £1.60 I think. Cutting with a craft knife was a bit of a chore and it did tend to crack a bit but it is still ok. Cutting it with a cutting wheel is probably the better option. First attemps with photographs are coming out better than they did without the set up but I still think it needs a bit of tweaking as I am still getting a bit of a shadow. I think Boo did say she sanded the 'light source' side a bit to diffuse the entering light a bit more - so I think I'll give that a go! I'm frantically making at the moment for a sale on Saturday but I might find some time towards the end of the week to get that done.

snow_imp
05-10-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm trying Boo's idea out too. I've used a 5 litre plastic food store type of container from the 'cheapest' supermarket chain but I've no doubt the others do similar.

Hm, I didn't think of that - thanks for the tip. :~:

Kalorlo
05-10-2009, 02:34 PM
I got a relatively large clear plastic mixing bowl - there wasn't anything bucket-shaped and clear at my little hardware shop :)

Not tried it yet as I need to get a lamp first, and to cut a gap in the side. I don't have a cutting wheel, but I do have a junior hacksaw...

amazingbabe
05-10-2009, 03:33 PM
I wish i had a personal photographer for taking pictures of my jewellery i detest that side of my business :(|:N::'(:'(

mochiandmocha
07-10-2009, 07:22 AM
Ohhh....nice piece! well done! The blue reminds me of the jewels of the elves in the Lord of the Rings. it really evokes magic..it's nice!:)

The Dragon
07-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Ooo another LOTR fan, do I detect a kindred spirit.

Sorry Silver Girl I think I juest hijacked your thread

:threadjacked:

snow_imp
08-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Ooo another LOTR fan, do I detect a kindred spirit.

I think there may be a few of us on here! [[]]

Jayne
08-10-2009, 09:08 AM
I spent most of my time watching LOTR checking out delicious jewellery :)
Does anyone know who made it?
J x

Solunar Silver Studio
08-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Jasmine Watson....JASMINE WATSON | JEWELLER (http://www.jasminewatson.com/)

Di Sandland
08-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Ooh, her Marigold stuff! My family name is Marigold (don't ask why) - I must have marigold jewellery!

Jayne
08-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Jasmine Watson....JASMINE WATSON | JEWELLER (http://www.jasminewatson.com/)

Thanks for that Barbara :)
What an amazing website!! If we could get Jasmine Watson to join the forum d'u think she'd give us website tips?
J x

agent_44
08-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks for that Barbara :)
What an amazing website!! If we could get Jasmine Watson to join the forum d'u think she'd give us website tips?
J x

Somehow I doubt she buit it herself ;) Also looks like Flash which can have a lot of drawbacks, depending on what your aims for your website are.

Jayne
08-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Somehow I doubt she buit it herself ;) Also looks like Flash which can have a lot of drawbacks, depending on what your aims for your website are.

What are the drawbacks of a Flash website then? (should I be fortunate enough to find £10K lying in the road when I go out later ;) )
J x

agent_44
08-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Well, clearly from the example, they can look great! But if the whole of your website is flash, it can't be indexed by search engines, and is therefore not so good for SEO. So it can be a bit of a trade off.

This website (http://www.meomi.com/index.html) uses flash but not as the whole page so the content can be searched and indexed (you can tell the difference because you can celect the text in the website, you can;t with the previous example).

There are tips and tricks around the net for optimising Flash sites for SEO but the overwhelming consensus in the Web Development community is that is less effective and generally a bad idea.

That said, Jasmine Watson's site is not a store, so maybe she uses it as an online portfolio that she directs customers to, and has no need to get high traffic to her site, in which case, there's not really a problem.

Jayne
08-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Ah-haaaaa.......
Thanks for that Lucinda, that makes sense & I hadn't realised it before - I have so much to learn ;)
I guess that all those jewellers with swanky sites have already done their marketing in the real world and don't need to be searched for.
J x

agent_44
08-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Ah-haaaaa.......
Thanks for that Lucinda, that makes sense & I hadn't realised it before - I have so much to learn ;)
I guess that all those jewellers with swanky sites have already done their marketing in the real world and don't need to be searched for.
J x

Maybe, but plenty will use Flash cos they like it or it looks pretty without knowing the consequences. Obviously that doesn't just apply to jewellers!

EmmaRose
08-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Nice colours silver girl, don't give up.
I love LOTR too :), wonderful.
Gayle I'll take your photos if you sell mine :D (that is what I hate doing!)
Em

amazingbabe
08-10-2009, 03:12 PM
:DCheers Em i just wish you were nearer to me and maybe we could work that one out :D