PDA

View Full Version : Bangles

Lisa Quinn
02-10-2009, 01:38 PM
I wonder if you could help out, I want to make a bangle, but I don't want to have to buy a bangle mandrel, therefore I wonder if any of you lovely people had any ideas of what I could use instead. ( Hubby suggested a wine bottle, but I'm a bit heavy handed for anything made of glass !)

Thanks

Lisa x

snow_imp
02-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Sorry, can't help you with making bangles, but I know people use all sort of things as mandrels for sizing rings.

Maybe rather than a glass bottle you can find a large rolling pin or a small thermos flask (I happen to be looking at one right now and it looks about the size I'd want a bangle to be).

mizgeorge
02-10-2009, 01:47 PM
I use an old table leg!

snow_imp
02-10-2009, 03:57 PM
I use an old table leg!

Still attached to the old table? :-O

caroleallen
02-10-2009, 05:38 PM
I went through the same process several years ago and decided in the end to go for a mandrel as I couldn't find anything that worked. It was money well spent as I make loads of bangles now. I've now got 4 mandrels in different shapes and sizes.

Lisa Quinn
02-10-2009, 05:52 PM
I would buy one , but I have spent an absolute fortune on the Freepost offer in the past two weeks, ooohhh, I'm shuddering just thinking about my credit card statement !!

Four bangle mandrels Carole !! I wish I lived near you, I would be popping over for a cuppa all the time !!

George, OH not keen on the table leg idea, he seems to think that four legs are better than three !!

I have made a "circles" bangle this afternoon and really just need something to shape it round and have used a tapered metal thermos flask as snow-imp suggested which has worked perfectly, but, I will have to invest in one for another project I'm thinking of which will require the bangle to be planished around the mandrel. As they are so heavy I think I'll wait for the next freepost offer.

Thanks

Lisa