PDA

View Full Version : Wire guards

Sheen
10-05-2021, 08:27 AM
This necklace has been sitting in my cupboard for a couple of years. Thought I should finish it. Ran the beading wire through 2 crimps then through a wire guard but it's not the prettiest thing. The toggle is at the front of the necklace as a feature. Is there a prettier option? Or should I just remove it?

Dennis
10-05-2021, 09:21 AM
You could say it's well made and geometrical. Or you could say it's rather masculine for the delicate beads used.
When in doubt, look up how others have done it, and do lots of drawings. Here are some on Etsy for instance:
https://www.etsy.com/uk/market/toggle_clasps Dennis

Sheen
10-05-2021, 09:29 AM
You could say it's well made and geometrical. Or you could say it's rather masculine for the delicate beads used.
When in doubt, look up how others have done it, and do lots of drawings. Here are some on Etsy for instance:
https://www.etsy.com/uk/market/toggle_clasps Dennis

Hi Dennis, I maybe need to show the whole thing. It's a double wrap with a massively overesized toggle, though I think you might be right that the contrast is maybe too great.

Dennis
10-05-2021, 10:11 AM
Well Sheena, here is a chance to express your personality through an original design. Being at the front, it will be the central feature.
It does not have to be a bar and a ring. It can be a cow and a bucket. Dennis.

Sheen
10-05-2021, 10:11 AM
From that link you posted looks like there should be a couple of closed jump rings on either end between the strand and the toggle. I'm considering switching the aquamarine for coconut shell :)

Sheen
10-05-2021, 10:32 AM
Well Sheena, here is a chance to express your personality through an original design. Being at the front, it will be the central feature.
It does not have to be a bar and a ring. It can be a cow and a bucket. Dennis.

That is very true! :D

CJ57
10-05-2021, 10:44 AM
I used to do a lot of front fastening necklaces but as a design feature. I wouldn’t attach the wire directly to the toggle but as was said attach by jump ring for movement. There will be continual rubbing of the wire otherwise

Sheen
10-05-2021, 12:21 PM
I used to do a lot of front fastening necklaces but as a design feature. I wouldn’t attach the wire directly to the toggle but as was said attach by jump ring for movement. There will be continual rubbing of the wire otherwise

Did you use the wire guards as well?

Petal
10-05-2021, 12:36 PM
I really like your toggle clasp Shena, but think you've hit the nail on the head that the toggle might be a little too oversized though.

Having said that, your toggle is diffierent and different imo is good!

Sheen
10-05-2021, 01:06 PM
I thought everyone needs to see the whole thing :)
Still unfinished :D

It's a terrible photo but it shows the scale

CJ57
10-05-2021, 01:56 PM
Did you use the wire guards as well?
Are they the bits that crimp, if so yes. I only have one though and because they look so cheap I usually cover them with a bead or 2. As you’re following FB wax groups now check out my page as I just posted a front fasten and there should be a couple more if you scroll back. Usually my main reason for front fastening clasps is as a statement in the design so they are always big

mizgeorge
10-05-2021, 02:43 PM
I love the clasp - the necklace is a really nice design.

However, I'm not a fan of wire guardians unless they're very discreet and hidden away. Adding a small, then larger jump ring goes a long way to helping this, and also adds fluidity, as well as a necessary break point for safety. Alternatively make up a short length of sterling gimp by just coiling the finest silver wire you have on a piece of spring wire and use that instead - it will always look better.

Sheen
10-05-2021, 03:08 PM
I love the clasp - the necklace is a really nice design.

However, I'm not a fan of wire guardians unless they're very discreet and hidden away. Adding a small, then larger jump ring goes a long way to helping this, and also adds fluidity, as well as a necessary break point for safety. Alternatively make up a short length of sterling gimp by just coiling the finest silver wire you have on a piece of spring wire and use that instead - it will always look better.

Thanks Mizgeorge. Yes I was having a lot of doubts about using those things as I just don't think they're attractive. There's so many ways to do the ends of a necklace that I just seize up with the options, hence this having been in my cupboard for years.

Dennis
10-05-2021, 03:09 PM
I thought everyone needs to see the whole thing :)
Still unfinished :D
It's a terrible photo but it shows the scale

That puts it into perspective. Mind if I edit the picture a bit?

Sheen
10-05-2021, 03:15 PM
Are they he bits that crimp, if so yes. I only have one though and because they look so cheap I usually cover them with a bead or 2. As you’re following FB wax groups now check out my page as I just posted a front fasten and there should be a couple more if you scroll back. Usually my main reason for front fastening clasps is as a statement in the design so they are always big

Just had a look around your Facebook page. I 'd forgotten how good your work was Caroline. It's real class, with a strong sense of form/shape. I can see your finishes are carefully thought out too

Sheen
10-05-2021, 03:30 PM
That puts it into perspective. Mind if I edit the picture a bit?

You are more than welcome, it's not one I'm proud of :)

CJ57
10-05-2021, 03:40 PM
Just had a look around your Facebook page. I 'd forgotten how good your work was Caroline. It's real class, with a strong sense of form/shape. I can see your finishes are carefully thought out too

Aw thanks Sheena:) if I’m doing big pieces I like to do a matching clasp and it’s quite a selling point with one customer who likes to be able to wear her clasp round the front, up the side, wherever takes her fancy!

Dennis
10-05-2021, 07:07 PM
You are more than welcome, it's not one I'm proud of :)

Here you are. One for you to keep if you wish.

Sheen
10-05-2021, 07:39 PM
Here you are. One for you to keep if you wish.

That's lot better Dennis! You've really improved the exposure, I will put it into my album on here if I'm able to figure it out :)

Sheen
11-05-2021, 08:37 AM
Caroline these are the wire guardians or guards that we've been talking about. They're not pretty. I don't think they have a place at the front of a necklace

I was going to replace my photo in this thread with your photo Dennis but sadly once it's no longer the last post it's no longer editable.

CJ57
11-05-2021, 10:44 AM
Caroline these are the wire guardians or guards that we've been talking about. They're not pretty. I don't think they have a place at the front of a necklace

I was going to replace my photo in this thread with your photo Dennis but sadly once it's no longer the last post it's no longer editable.

I don’t think any of the bead stringing finishes have a place at the front or even the back, they all look quite cheap and crafty. I’m not fond of beading, for some reason it takes me longer than it does to solder some complicated piece together. I’m not satisfied with the finishing so I don’t use them much anymore unless they are some focal point and usually quite big

Sheen
11-05-2021, 02:07 PM
It's the differant ways that you can finish your beaded string that leaves me frozen in indecision. Jump rings, clam shells, crimps, crimp covers, one or two, gimp, guards, a bead between two crimps, your crimps in a bead, knotted and cut, knotted and passed back through the beads, endless loop;
shoot me now!......
Mmmm I think i'll go solder something