PDA

View Full Version : short video

nicks creative stuff
03-05-2021, 07:39 PM
i’ll try again....

Hi all I’ve just finished a quick and short beginners silver heart making video.

being new to all this I would love to have some comments and feedback from all you pros and enthusiasts out there.

Thanks for any help ... Nick

let me try this link thing again ... https://youtu.be/ZmeNiQ3MVyg

nicks creative stuff
03-05-2021, 07:46 PM
just realised ... the link is not live until you post it ..... obviously.

Dennis
03-05-2021, 08:50 PM
Clever to have made a jig for this Nick, particularly if you need copies.
On the down side, paste solder is attractive to beginners, but tiny pallions of solder and some Auflux, heated gently, would save a great deal of mess and subsequent cleaning up. Dennis.

nicks creative stuff
03-05-2021, 09:29 PM
thanks for that Dennis .... yes i quite agree... got a bit lazy with the old paste .... a small pillion would have looked a lot better. ... one to remember for next time .... N

Caro
03-05-2021, 09:54 PM
Would have liked the camera to have lingered longer on the jig - had to rewind and watch that bit again - otherwise brilliant idea!

nicks creative stuff
03-05-2021, 10:24 PM
Thanks for that Caro,
thought about making a long play version of this short video.
maybe something for the future.
The challenge with making shorts is cutting 20 minutes of filming down into a video less than 60 seconds long.

I love making jigs and tools ... Maybe more vids on that ... cheers ... Nick

mizgeorge
04-05-2021, 12:43 AM
I enjoyed that!

So I wandered round some of the others. Amazing metalwork too! I'm very impressed :)

nicks creative stuff
04-05-2021, 06:33 AM
thanks George,
silversmithing is a hobby where as metalwork is a profession.
i’ve been making fire pits for over 10 years.
www.firework.co.uk
hoping to swap around and work from home one day.

Nick

Ruedeleglise
04-05-2021, 07:50 AM
Yes, terrific video. Oddly I have just been doing the same…making hearts. Technique similar but without the jig which is terrific. I used hard solder for the joins of the halves and then easy to solder posts or jump rings onto the heart at the top joint. A bit of cleaning up needed! The earrings I made from 1mm round wire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nicks creative stuff
04-05-2021, 04:37 PM
thanks Ruedeleglise ... yes hearts seem to be in at the moment... look good as earrings... have you got any pics... easy to form with pliers ... i use a jig for repeatability when making chains.
all the best ... Nick

Ruedeleglise
04-05-2021, 05:24 PM
Yes Nick. I am just tumbling them. I just wish I had had your jig as it took me ages to make a matching second one! With the 1mm wire it is also so easy to end up with a ball of molten silver!

nicks creative stuff
04-05-2021, 06:18 PM
molten Silver ... yes know that one, I test and practice with copper wire a lot first, once I’m happy with the size and shape of a finished copper heart i then make a jig to fit it. so then it can be copied in silver for chain making.

Ruedeleglise
04-05-2021, 06:51 PM
You must have the patience of a saint! I will make a number of your gizmos.

nicks creative stuff
04-05-2021, 08:54 PM
good Word ... gizmo... a fluffy toy on google... been wanting to produce more tool (gizmo) making videos.

josef1
05-05-2021, 12:30 PM
great video I enjoyed the process

nicks creative stuff
05-05-2021, 06:11 PM
like the rock ‘n’ roll look jewellery ... very stylised ... Nick

Silver Jewellery Girl
05-05-2021, 09:50 PM
Thanks for that Caro,
thought about making a long play version of this short video.
maybe something for the future.
The challenge with making shorts is cutting 20 minutes of filming down into a video less than 60 seconds long.

I love making jigs and tools ... Maybe more vids on that ... cheers ... Nick

Loved your video! Great job! You make making a heart look so easy!

I definitely know the pain... I've cut 6 days of footage into 6 minutes for my latest project! Lol!

avril@amjewellery.co.uk
06-05-2021, 05:14 PM
Super little video...well done!

nicks creative stuff
06-05-2021, 05:42 PM
hi Sami,
thanks for your comments, your YouTube channel looks great, A lot of information for people, that’s a lot of videos in three months.
your digital presence looks interesting and thorough, I probably need to take a leaf out of your book.
you must put a lot of time and effort in.

there’s a lot of stuff that I would like to do but only find the time for the odd short video.

all the best ...Nick

nicks creative stuff
06-05-2021, 05:54 PM
thanks Avril,
i’ve been making short videos because they seem to get a lot more views.
...Nick

nicks creative stuff
06-05-2021, 06:34 PM
wow Avril,
just seen your meet our designers video.
inspiring to see how the pros do it.
very unique and contemporary just the thing needed to run a modern successful business.
all the best ... Nick

avril@amjewellery.co.uk
06-05-2021, 06:39 PM
wow Avril,
just seen your meet our designers video.
inspiring to see how the pros do it.
very unique and contemporary just the thing needed to run a modern successful business.
all the best ... Nick

Thanks Nick
I was really lucky that our local council funded some businesses to have a video professionally made. I'm really pleased with it. I'm still playing around making videos myself for Instagram etc. Amazing what you can do with a phone these days.
All the best
Avril

Silver Jewellery Girl
06-05-2021, 07:38 PM
hi Sami,
thanks for your comments, your YouTube channel looks great, A lot of information for people, that’s a lot of videos in three months.
your digital presence looks interesting and thorough, I probably need to take a leaf out of your book.
you must put a lot of time and effort in.

there’s a lot of stuff that I would like to do but only find the time for the odd short video.

all the best ...Nick

Thanks, Nick! I really appreciate the feedback.

It's taken me a while to find my video style - the early videos were far too long for my taste, and I had no real idea what I was doing. But I think I've found my groove now, and managing to produce the sorts of videos that I was aspiring, too.

I've been putting more time in recently because I've set myself a weekly challenge project, and some of these projects are way beyond my current skill level. But learning a lot! I'll need to scale back as I'm feeling guilty about the time I'm spending on it!

I know what you mean about only finding time for the odd short video. There's a real effort needed to set-up the camera and the lights, when all you want to do is get on and make something. In my last video, I think I broke the majority of the saw blades from trying to put the work down to change the camera angle! Oops! (and once to open the door for the postman!)

I'm looking forward to your next video! The 1 minute shorts look like they work really well for you! And our entertaining even for non-jewellers :)

Sami

nicks creative stuff
06-05-2021, 07:55 PM
I now regret not keeping up with the modern digital world, i’ve had to really push myself to learn how to make a youtube video using an iPhone and iPad.

With an ambition of work from home one day making stuff to sell, having a presence on social media seems to be the biggest hill to learn to climb.

everyone has to start somewhere and selling bits and pieces of silver jewellery to friends and family i’ve found very satisfying and rewarding, encouraging me to explore more.

Nice to see your quirky business, encouraging to see somebody doing it so well.

Nick

nicks creative stuff
06-05-2021, 08:37 PM
hi Sami,
yes finding a style can be a long-term Challenge, i’m never sure what to do next or how to style it.

I was advised once to do what you like doing and forget the rest.

I can’t bear to watch my first ever video, I can’t stand hearing my voice on it but was told doing a VoiceOver was the way to go .... never again

feeling guilty and neglecting your loved ones is easy to do when your a creative sort, i’m sometimes accused of that.

making “shorts” videos for me is encouraging because I seem to be getting a lot of views on them.
anyway ... keep up the good work.... Nick

avril@amjewellery.co.uk
07-05-2021, 06:38 PM
I now regret not keeping up with the modern digital world, i’ve had to really push myself to learn how to make a youtube video using an iPhone and iPad.

With an ambition of work from home one day making stuff to sell, having a presence on social media seems to be the biggest hill to learn to climb.

everyone has to start somewhere and selling bits and pieces of silver jewellery to friends and family i’ve found very satisfying and rewarding, encouraging me to explore more.

Nice to see your quirky business, encouraging to see somebody doing it so well.

Nick

Thanks and all the best for your business. If I can help with any digital advice just let me know.