PDA

View Full Version : how should I hammer these links?

Jayne
02-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Hope someone can help me with this.
I love dimpled hammered links. Love hammering them, love using them, love looking at them blah blah......but I don't think I'm making them properly. I start off having a bash on the steel stake with the ball part of a ball pein hammer and think 'mmmmm....lush', then I turn the link over and do the same thing. Then I take a look at the first side again and it's gone a bit flat (basic physics, I know), so I have another bash and........turn over link again and.....I think you can guess the rest.
I usually end up turning & hammering several times with progressively lighter strikes and transferring to the wooden peg towards the end. The result is a finish that's kind of hammered and quite pleasant but without the real definition of that first hammering.
Is there a way of doing it better?:confused:
J x

Lisa Quinn
02-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Morning Jayne,

If I want definition on both sides I hammer on a leather sandbag, which leaves the underside intact. I have no idea if this is the best way, but through trial and error is the only thing I have found that has worked for me.

Hope this helps

Lisa x

Jayne
02-10-2009, 08:46 AM
I have tried protecting the underside with a beading mat before (it was handy lol!) but found that I couldn't get anywhere near the same definition. I will have a dig around and see if I can improvise a leather something - thanks for the tip Lisa :)
J x

mizgeorge
02-10-2009, 08:57 AM
I do the first side on a bench block, and the second on a sandbag. I find if I do both sides on the softer surface I tend to bash everything out of shape!

Jayne
02-10-2009, 09:08 AM
I do the first side on a bench block

(sorry - newbie questioning coming up) is that steel or wood?
J x

ps_bond
02-10-2009, 09:16 AM
I'd expect steel - but it just occurred to me that an end-grain softwood block should be quite good for hammering the second side.

Jayne
02-10-2009, 09:27 AM
thanks for all the advice :)
I shall go for a bash and report back!
J x

Petal
02-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Ohh - interesting question, as I got my stake & hammer yesterday. :D You've answered another question for me again, before I'd even thought of it! Well done guys! :-D

snow_imp
02-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Ohh - interesting question, as I got my stake & hammer yesterday. :D You've answered another question for me again, before I'd even thought of it! Well done guys! :-D

Every one on the forum (barring me) is definitely on my list of "people to learn from". ;)

Petal
02-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Every one on the forum (barring me) is definitely on my list of "people to learn from". ;)

Oh Anne, you're doing yourself down there! I think everyone learns something new every day - and we all help each other on this forum - that's what makes it so special. Looking at your byzantine weave, you've done something I could never hope to master! So you should feel proud of what you've achieved ! We need a "pat on the back" smilie here!:)

snow_imp
02-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Oh Anne, you're doing yourself down there! I think everyone learns something new every day - and we all help each other on this forum - that's what makes it so special. Looking at your byzantine weave, you've done something I could never hope to master! So you should feel proud of what you've achieved ! We need a "pat on the back" smilie here!:)

:">

Partly it's I'm a pessimist - and today it's definitely a "what am I doing", "who am I", "where am I" sort of off balance day.

Thanks Petal.

I'll try to cheer up now, after all IT'S FRIDAY :)

Jayne
02-10-2009, 01:35 PM
:">

Partly it's I'm a pessimist - and today it's definitely a "what am I doing", "who am I", "where am I" sort of off balance day.

Okay Anne,
I just sneaked a look at your albums and your pieces are beautiful! Maybe you could take a little look to remind yourself of what you can do!!
J x

Jayne
02-10-2009, 01:39 PM
& you can take me off your list of 'people to learn from' ;)
J x

snow_imp
02-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Okay, feeling a bit silly now for not appreciating myself and (having had a look at my album as suggested) what I've managed to do in the last couple of months.

Thanks for the kick up the **** - it's definitely needed at times. [[]]

Petal
02-10-2009, 01:59 PM
We all need a kick up the ****** from time to time though, don't we!

Jayne
02-10-2009, 02:11 PM
I'd rather have a hug & a cuppa ;)

Petal
02-10-2009, 02:22 PM
I do give and receive both and in their place ! they are always a very good thing. Obviously a kick up the *** is not such a nice feeling, but its always well meant :X

A hug and a cuppa and a nice choccie is lovely too, isn't it ;)

right, must get on, got lots to make and organise.

Mystic
06-10-2009, 08:17 PM
I think the pieces in your album are fantastic, and look really complicated to do.........(bows in admiration to you)