PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Switzerland

GCS-Creations
14-04-2021, 08:22 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm Geoffrey.
I've barely dabbled with jewellery yet really but visited a crash course a few years ago.
I'm a student, but when I'm not too busy with that I make handmade fountain pens, which I am now looking to spice up with some silver overlays again.
I've only ever done one prototype some years ago but am dreaming of more ambitious pens ever since.

I've also made the odd pendant, but other than that I haven't got much experience.

I'll possibly have questions regarding flush setting in the future as that's definitely a skill I'd like to acquire!

Cheers,
Geoffrey

CJ57
14-04-2021, 10:21 AM
Hello Geoffrey welcome.

Your prototype pen looks wonderful. Did you saw pierce the silver yourself or buy it like that? Caroline

china
14-04-2021, 11:47 AM
Looking good Geoffrey, fountain pens seem to be having a bit of a resurgence, I get some strange looks and comments when I use a fountain pen in daily life. Have a look at Silver Meister on YouTube he has made a couple.

GCS-Creations
14-04-2021, 12:46 PM
Hello Geoffrey welcome.

Your prototype pen looks wonderful. Did you saw pierce the silver yourself or buy it like that? Caroline

Thanks Caroline!

Yes, it's all pierced and far from perfect. It took what felt like an eternity! But the pen has been in daily (diary) use for more than 3 years now and was absolutely worth it. :)

Looking good Geoffrey, fountain pens seem to be having a bit of a resurgence, I get some strange looks and comments when I use a fountain pen in daily life. Have a look at Silver Meister on YouTube he has made a couple.

Thanks I'll check him out!
Very nice to find others here enjoying fountain pens. I definitely enjoy writing with them more than with anything else!

Cheers,
Geoffrey

CJ57
14-04-2021, 01:29 PM
How satisfying to use your own pen. Very lovely
I’ve got so used to using a computer my writing is now illegible unless I use a drawing pen and I expect auto correct! I must look out my fountain pen but the nib isn’t fine enough for me

china
14-04-2021, 01:37 PM
Caroline you can change the nib on 99% of fountain pens,

CJ57
14-04-2021, 02:52 PM
Caroline you can change the nib on 99% of fountain pens,
I’ll have to look into that Bob I think I got it for my 21st which was a long time ago!

GCS-Creations
14-04-2021, 04:54 PM
I might be able to give you advice on it if you let me know the model. A friend of mine runs a shop that solely deals with old and collectible fountain pens!
China is quite right, nibs usually be exchanged fairly easily. :)

I personally like vintage 18k gold nibs the most, there's nothing that compares to the subtle springiness of them! :)

Ruedeleglise
14-04-2021, 05:20 PM
Well well. I have a Schaefer pen which was a 21st birthday present as well. I think I know where it is! I remember the two friends whose present it was and still know one of them. Out it will come for a spruce up. Thank you Geoffrey!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CJ57
14-04-2021, 07:26 PM
I might be able to give you advice on it if you let me know the model. A friend of mine runs a shop that solely deals with old and collectible fountain pens!
China is quite right, nibs usually be exchanged fairly easily. :)

I personally like vintage 18k gold nibs the most, there's nothing that compares to the subtle springiness of them! :)

Mine won’t be quite vintage or maybe it is but not as vintage as the couple I have somewhere that have perished innards. I wouldn’t imagine it’s anything special as we’re didn’t have much money

Dennis
15-04-2021, 10:19 AM
The fountain pen began to fall out of favour, with the invention of the Biro in the mid 1940s. A really ugly ball pen, which cost £2: quite a lot of money at the time.
Also fountain pens needed re-filling from a bottle, which could be quite messy, and the bladders perished and needed replacing from time to time.
With air travel becoming more universal it became apparent that they could leak on planes, and I spent a week at a foreign conference with a large ink stain on the front of my jacket.
Now they are prized collectors pieces. Dennis.

china
15-04-2021, 11:45 AM
How true although some clever bod invented the cartridge, the one I carry out and about has a cartridge not for the purest, although is is easy to refill and I have never had it leak, for home use I have more traditional types.

mizgeorge
15-04-2021, 11:53 AM
Hi Geoffrey, I've seen your name over on FPN - I'm also a pen person - mainly repair and restoration, and a bit of collecting, and writing of course! Nice to see you here!

And Caroline - give me a shout if you'd like me to have a look at your pens - I'd be only too happy to get them back into working order for you :)

CJ57
15-04-2021, 12:02 PM
Thanks George, I’ll have a look for them

CJ57
15-04-2021, 05:18 PM
Hi Geoffrey, I've seen your name over on FPN - I'm also a pen person - mainly repair and restoration, and a bit of collecting, and writing of course! Nice to see you here!

And Caroline - give me a shout if you'd like me to have a look at your pens - I'd be only too happy to get them back into working order for you :)

Sorry to hijack Geoffrey’s post but wanted to show off what has turned out to be a stylish Parker pen of the 70s.
I have another not so stylish Parker both cartridge and a Swan and a Stephens. I’ll message you with some pics George. Of the vintage I think the Swan is my favourite

mizgeorge
16-04-2021, 12:34 AM
Caroline - that looks very much like a Parker 50 Falcon in the TX brown - these are very much sought after now as they had a fairly limited production run - lucky you!

Of all the older British pens, Swans are my favourites, and are a joy to work on and to use, often with the most fabulous nibs. I like Stephens as well - some of their celluloids are absolutely lovely once they're cleaned up. They're often very nice to write with, and still work as well today as they did in their prime. Do drop me a line :)

Daftie
16-04-2021, 08:46 PM
I confess to loving my Parker Lady pens. They have lovely gold nibs and fit my tiny hand perfectly. However, their small size means twice as much filling! Just as well I have several, bought for me as birthday presents.One has a matching propelling pencil which takes soft leads and is also a joy to draw with.

GCS-Creations
24-04-2021, 11:14 PM
Sorry, I was busy last week - there was a free spot in a pensioners home for my grandmother and we all scrambled to get her things packed and look after her a little last week. But I'm very glad to see that you continued chatting! :D

Mine won’t be quite vintage or maybe it is but not as vintage as the couple I have somewhere that have perished innards. I wouldn’t imagine it’s anything special as we’re didn’t have much money

They'd probably still write quite decently. My great aunts school pen is an excellent writer for instance, especially compared to the school pen I received in the early 2000's.. But that's a really really bad example I think. :P
That's a very nice Parker you've got there!

Wow, you have an excellent memory! I haven't been over on FPN for quite a while. Ought to log on there again sometime :)

CJ57
25-04-2021, 12:27 AM
I haven’t looked at any of them in years to be honest. The Parker is rather sleek and I think that was another problem, quite small and smooth to hold.Perhaps too ladylike for me! I rather like the look of this one so I might have it refurbished

12991 12994