PDA

View Full Version : Step bezels

Sheen
15-03-2021, 09:36 AM
Morning everyone, the sun is shinning and it's not too cold. I think spring might be here. Want to ask a wee question about step bezels. I'm making the bezel out of fine silver. Is it okay to use sterling silver for the bearer. Or is it better to keep everything in fine silver?

Dennis
15-03-2021, 10:14 AM
It doesn't really matter Sheena, you can use either, or a jump ring, or tubing, if it fits.
Also it does not have to close perfectly, or even be soldered in if there is a base. Dennis.

Caro
15-03-2021, 11:52 AM
I've just done one with a fine silver bezel and a sterling step. Mine did need to be soldered in as no back plate.

Sheen
15-03-2021, 05:02 PM
That's what i've just done today :) Though this morning i made an absolute mess of the soldering and had to make them from scratch again. I'm thinking you've got the easy pushing over of the fine silver, and the strength of the sterling silver on the inside step. i was wondering if there was any down side: maybe tarnishing on the inside for see-through stones might be an issue but as long as it has no back easy, to clean

Dennis
15-03-2021, 07:53 PM
Nah, we're veering off into philosophy now Sheena.

Sheen
15-03-2021, 09:38 PM
Nah, we're veering off into philosophy now Sheena.

Do I over think it? I'm over thinking it again ain't I :-":rofl:

Dennis
16-03-2021, 08:58 AM
It's the lockdown that's doing it. We're all a bit jumpy now.

Sheen
16-03-2021, 10:08 AM
It's the lockdown that's doing it. We're all a bit jumpy now.

You might be right :)

Sheen
24-03-2021, 03:11 PM
Hi everyone, it's another sunny day, spring has definitly come early. I'm finding it's a bit of a shock to the system.
I'm currently working on this facetted aquamarine. It has a very slight rock in it's seat. Is there a good method of tracking down which part of the stone is causing the problem?

Dennis
24-03-2021, 04:11 PM
It is most likely rocking on its cutlet because the setting is not deep enough Sheena. Dennis.

Sheen
24-03-2021, 04:26 PM
Hi Dennis it's a shallow stone so the cutlets well away from the bottom

Dennis
24-03-2021, 08:47 PM
Well then it must be the bearer.

There are lots of ways to find the place, for instance drawing on the bottom of the stone with a medium width water proof pen, inserting it and seeing where the colour comes off on the bearer.
Then you ease that spot, refresh the ink and do it again and again until the rocking stops.
The downside is you then have to clean up the unwanted ink on the stone with alcohol, or meths. On the collet you might have to use heat.

Another way is to run soft wax, on the bearer. Then when you press home the stone, a premature contact will show. You might have to lightly grease or oil the stone to prevent the wax being lifted.
If your wax is not soft enough, re-warm it slightly. Clean the collet up by gently reheating, to melt and burn away the grease. Dennis.

Sheen
26-03-2021, 06:39 AM
Tried the wax and it work perfectly. Used a small burr to lower the step very slightly on one side corner and no more rocking :)