PDA

View Full Version : Question about tumbler polishing silver figaro,curb etc. chain links

Grimee
12-03-2021, 09:22 AM
Hi everyone!

I have a question, every time i buy new silver jewelry, figaro/curb chains particulary from 5 up to 15mm widths links, they have very high gloss even inside the links, after some time, the chains tarnish of course, usually the oxidation appears more on the inside of links, a few times i've taken them to jewelry shop for cleaning/polishing, but after getting them back, they never got that same high shine again, the inside of the links are still kind of dull, do you have any tips how to restore them to be like new as far as this high shine goes? What was the case here, maybe the jewelry shop did not had the chains long enough in a tumbler machine maybe?

Dennis
12-03-2021, 11:18 AM
Chains and tumblers are poor companions, because a chain just dropped in would tangle and knot hopelessly. As a result, chains to be tumbled need to be tied up. or tied to something, so restricting access to mixed shot.

The best result is actually to dip in a silver dip solution if tarnished, rinse, and then brush all over with a wet and soapy jewellers brass brush.
This extra fine one, although more expensive, is very good: http://www.metalclay.co.uk/brass-brush-jewellery-quality-super-soft/

Dennis.

Grimee
12-03-2021, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I did that, i bought the silver dip, after the dip, it got slightly more shiny, but inside the links,there's still darker shade, than the new ones bought (it's not rhodium plated, so that also does not explain why is it more shiny).
I really don't know what to do.
As far as tumbler, when i buy the new chains, sometimes there's still shot media, usually the stainless steel balls inside the links lol, so they do tumble ?

china
12-03-2021, 12:50 PM
Sounds like it needs it go into a ultrasonic cleaner then re polished tumblers will not produce a high quality polish.

Grimee
12-03-2021, 12:56 PM
Here, these chains on picture, weren't rhodium coated at the start, so we can write off the possibility why it's shiny more.
The left chain has been bought few years ago and after silver dip, it's still not as shiny as the right one pictured, which is new (the old chain had exact same shine when it was new by the way).
What is going on? Every new chain i get and all of them werent rhodium plated, has the same high shine inside the links.Click image for larger version.
While speaking to my local jewelry shop about this issue, they told me, it doesn't matter how long will be tumbling, they cannot make it more shiny..

china
12-03-2021, 02:35 PM
As I tried to explain above over time it will be become dirty loose it's lustre/shine being Silver it will most likely have a degree of tarnish, all jewellery looses it's new look over time, mostly it can be restored, this would entail a professional clean and re polish
Silver dip is not a substitute for a high quality polish.

CJ57
12-03-2021, 02:38 PM
Remember that bought chains have a factory finish and you are never going to retain that bright shine. Most jeweller take it down to a hand finish which is more desirable. If silver dip isn’t cleaning the insides which it should if it’s just tarnish then as Bob says it’s more likely to be dirt which requires deep cleaning not polishing on the inside a finishing polish on the surface to bring back a shine.

Grimee
12-03-2021, 03:15 PM
I see. I remember i took the old 925 sterling silver necklace for cleaning and re-aplly of silver AKA some kind of silver plating, only at that time, it looked like new, what's your take on that?

Grimee
12-03-2021, 03:18 PM
Got you. Sometimes, one i get the new chains, there are still some stainless steel shots trapped inside the links. I'm really considering buying a tumbler, i'm wondering how long were they tumbling the chains for such a high shine, or it's some kind of mixture of hand finish as well.

Grimee
12-03-2021, 03:19 PM
What kind of deep cleaning are we talking about?

CJ57
12-03-2021, 03:25 PM
As Bob has already said an ultrasonic to remove any grease and grime from the inside or more time consuming and probably less practical a soft toothbrush and washing up liquid if you don’t want to buy an ultrasonic.

Grimee
12-03-2021, 04:03 PM
I've done that as well, basically i did everything, except using ultrasonic cleaner (don't have one). I've left the chains in the silver dip minutes, even hours, the effect was same, its still some yellowish tone to it compared to the new ones where they look like shiny white.

CJ57
12-03-2021, 04:10 PM
Is this for personal use or for resale? If it just a cleaning issue for personal use I think you have to accept that silver will change with wear and environment, detergents, toiletries, acid in the skin etc and will never have the just bought look.

Grimee
12-03-2021, 05:25 PM
Yeah Def.! i understand, this is personal use yes, but like i mentioned earlier, only one time, i got the chain back looking exactly like when it was new, that was years ago, that jewelry shop no longer exists here, the jeweler told me, they re-applied silver coating on it aka silver plating, which i was surprised because i thought thats done mostly on non precious metals.
What's your take on that if you may know?

CJ57
12-03-2021, 05:58 PM
We are designer makers on here so can’t really comment on what a shop would do. I believe if you want a more permanent shine then they can be rhodium plated but I’d assume that will wear off and need redone but I really don’t have any advice on this.
If you need advice on making jewellery there will always be help!

Lukas
12-03-2021, 07:24 PM
Got you! Thanks though

china
13-03-2021, 03:56 AM
If as you now suggest the chain has been plated, there are only two ways to restore it, have it re plated will need to be done at regular intervals, or strip the plating off and re polish (not worth the effort)
( unlikely it was Sliver plated more likely Rhodium )

Lukas
13-03-2021, 11:47 AM
At first i thought as well, i ask our local jewelry shop if it's rhodium plated and they said no lol, if you can you tell from a picture let me know. Here check out the pictures, on the left is the old chain, recently polished in a tumbler in our local jewelry shop for 1-2 hour (as what they said to me) on the right brand new. (keep in mind the one on the left had exactly same shine as the right one when it was new). Both of these are sterling silver of course.

Lukas
13-03-2021, 11:50 AM
one more picture, with a flash.

CJ57
13-03-2021, 12:27 PM
Why do we have 2 different names posting the same information now?

mizgeorge
13-03-2021, 12:34 PM
Almost all commercially sold (rather than studio jeweller / handmade) jewellery is plated before sale. It saves on polishing and finishing costs and hides any firescale, oxidisation, or tarnish without having to do to any thing aggressive or time consuming. In the case of silver, it's usually plated with fine silver to give a very bright appearance. Over time, that plating wears off, exposing the bare silver underneath, which is then vulnerable to tarnish. This can be restored to an extent with a magnetic polisher or tumbler, but I, and many others, actually prefer the appearance of silver that has aged naturally, giving a more interesting depth to the finish rather than the overpolished ultra shiny 'new' look.

If you want to clean the less easy to reach parts of links, you can go a long way with a cheap ultrasonic toothbrush and some silver dip. A tumbler or polisher is always going to be limited by the size of the media it uses.

Lukas
13-03-2021, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, but the thing is, after getting them polished professionally in the jewelry shop a few times, they still never regain that shine as when i got them new, that's when i started doubting, the polisher can regain that.
Also, a few times after getting them new, there was still some steel shots (balls) trapped in the links. Does that mean, shop plated them with fine silver and after polish them or? A bit confused.

china
13-03-2021, 01:09 PM
I suppose it depends on who ever is doing the job as already stated a tumbler will not produce a high quality finish, you do not polish after plating ( well not in the case of most local Jewellers ) yes you can bring it back up to as you say, new like polish
hand polishing will do this, whoever does this will charge accordingly, this may be more than the chain cost to purchase as george said most people believe the patina that comes with time give the piece individual caricature.

Lukas
13-03-2021, 01:14 PM
I see! Thanks, so if i got this correctly, the hand polish will do a lot better than just throwing it in a tumbler.
I'm curious, if i'd put a chain in a tumbler for more hours would it do better, say 2 hours vs 6 hours would there be any difference. (chain lightly tarnished for example). Is the time crucial here, now after you mentioned ''depends on who ever is doing the job'' i question myself, maybe they never had them in a tumbler for long enough.

ps_bond
13-03-2021, 01:45 PM
From the same IP address, with different emails. Lukas/Grimee - an explanation, please.

CJ57
13-03-2021, 01:51 PM
From the same IP address, with different emails. Lukas/Grimee - an explanation, please.

Thanks Peter.We are on page 3 now and I’m pretty sure we have covered everything and more!

china
13-03-2021, 02:11 PM
I suggest you go back and read all your posts and the various replies, we are just going around in circles now

Lukas
13-03-2021, 02:21 PM
Thanks Peter.We are on page 3 now and I’m pretty sure we have covered everything and more!

I apologize, i created 2nd one, i had some troubles with first one.

Lukas
13-03-2021, 02:23 PM
Could you answer my last question though?

''I'm curious, if i'd put a chain in a tumbler for more hours would it do better, say 2 hours vs 6 hours would there be any difference. (chain lightly tarnished for example). Is the time crucial here, now after you mentioned ''depends on who ever is doing the job'' i question myself, maybe they never had them in a tumbler for long enough. ''

CJ57
13-03-2021, 02:39 PM
Could you answer my last question though?

''I'm curious, if i'd put a chain in a tumbler for more hours would it do better, say 2 hours vs 6 hours would there be any difference. (chain lightly tarnished for example). Is the time crucial here, now after you mentioned ''depends on who ever is doing the job'' i question myself, maybe they never had them in a tumbler for long enough. ''

No I don’t think so. This is a forum in which makers of jewellery ask for advice when they have a technical problem. We can’t make assumptions on what some other person might have done. Go back to them and ask them the same questions if it is upsetting you so much. You are just asking the same question in a different way and getting the same response from everyone

ps_bond
13-03-2021, 03:17 PM
I apologize, i created 2nd one, i had some troubles with first one.

Yeah. About that - don't. I've banned the Grimee account now.