PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a Ring Design

Silver Jewellery Girl
09-03-2021, 01:04 PM
Hi Everyone,

I wondered if I could pick your brains, please?

I have an idea for a ring, made up of lots of small metal circles (likely silver, although I might start in copper, just to practice first!). I've done a rough sketch (it's just the piece in the middle, not the outer band, which would be a different ring.)

I wondered how you would go about making the ring of circles? So far, my thoughts are to use square wire and fashion each circle individually and then solder them together. Alternatively, to carefully draw and cut all the circles out of one piece of metal (Obviously, I'm going to need to practice my sawing skills to achieve what I'm imagining!). Just wondered if these seem sensible or if there's a better way that I'm missing?

Thank you for your advice and guidance!
Sami

Dennis
09-03-2021, 01:24 PM
If you have a tube and wire cutting jig, the circles can be made by cutting slices from say four different sized tubes. however they would not hold together reliably unless soldered onto a backing. Dennis.

china
09-03-2021, 01:24 PM
You could do it either way if you pierce it there would be less clean up, if you make it from individual circles/jump rings, you will have to clean up each soldered joint.

Silver Jewellery Girl
09-03-2021, 01:49 PM
Thank you! Unfortunately, I don't have a tube and wire cutting jig, so perhaps something for the future! However, I've just looked up tube as I've not used it before, and it has just opened me up to a whole realm of possibilities, so thank you!

If you have a tube and wire cutting jig, the circles can be made by cutting slices from say four different sized tubes. however they would not hold together reliably unless soldered onto a backing. Dennis.

Silver Jewellery Girl
09-03-2021, 01:50 PM
Thank you! It sounds like it would be more stable as a ring if I pierced it from a single piece of metal... I guess it's back to practising sawing for me! I might have to save this design for sometime in the future then! :)

You could do it either way if you pierce it there would be less clean up, if you make it from individual circles/jump rings, you will have to clean up each soldered joint.