PDA

View Full Version : Wire wrapped mens pendants... completely bad idea?

LostWay
03-03-2021, 02:51 PM
Hi people,

I'm new to jewellery and have been making wire-wrapped mens pendants.

They are nothing special at all, just simple loops and ring type things.

I really enjoy the calm and logical thinking of wire-work, but...

I've recently noticed how easy it is for them to 'pluck' chest hairs and wondered if this is a complete killer for the whole idea / enterprise?

I don't wear pendants enough myself to know if jewellery plucking at chest hairs is a complete deal breaker or simply something that men who wear pendants know about and live with.

I have a tendency to panic a little and at the moment I'm wanting to just throw them all in the bin and stop with the wire-wrapping.

Sooooooo, does anyone have any common wisdom on the subject of wire-wrapped mens pendants?

Is occasional hair snagging simply a completely normal side effect and not something to get in a panic about?
Or is wire-wrapped mens jewellery a well known no-no and a terrible idea?

Thanks in advance.:-)

Caro
03-03-2021, 05:32 PM
Oh good question and I'll be lurking for the answer.

I've been asked to add a bail to a (male) friends stone. It's been pierced sideways (like a bead) rather than front to back and I was debating whether a wire wrapped mounting would be the way forward as I really don't want to be soldering anywhere near this stone. It's a chunky bit of rock and needs a substantial mount or it'll look odd

ps_bond
03-03-2021, 05:32 PM
Not well-known to me, but if it started pulling out hairs I'd get fairly tired of it fairly quickly.

LostWay
04-03-2021, 10:56 AM
Not well-known to me, but if it started pulling out hairs I'd get fairly tired of it fairly quickly.

Me too. :-(

In my head they would have been the kinds of pendants that you wear outside your t-shirt or whatever you are wearing. Is there a specific name for the kind of pendant that is meant to be seen, not tucked away?

I was chatting to my daughter about it and she pretty much only wears the kinds of pendants that you would wear over clothes. She found the idea of wearing a pendant under a top a bit strange.

Anyway, I'm trying to re-think the weaving to avoid the tight curls on the outer edges that are causing the problems. Even if I can only knock off half the offending loops that still halves the chance of catching something.

CJ57
04-03-2021, 12:39 PM
Tbh if I’ve seen men wearing pendants at all they are very short and worn tight round their necks as more of a choker than a pendant, that doesn’t always mean they are worn on top of fabric. Unless you’re aiming for medallion man with 3 buttons of his shirt undone then hair up to the neck maybe isn’t for wire wrapped work.
As Bob has suggested a lot of people, both men and women , wear small pendants close to their skin especially if they have sentimental value

china
04-03-2021, 01:16 PM
I sometimes wear a limited edition silver ingot type pendant, it was gift from my partner, I don't wear it for show, but if it was pulling hairs I would not wear it.

theresa
04-03-2021, 01:38 PM
What about a prong mount? I've made a few of those for odd shaped stones (meteorite for a male friend)