PDA

View Full Version : salt containers

EmmaRose
01-10-2009, 02:13 PM
I know you can't make salt pots/ containers from just silver because it reacts with salt...I have seen them covered inside with gold or enamel...given I can't afford one and don't have materials/ skills for other.....is there anything else? can you use steel? alumiunium? resin? and if so can you get predomed discs....anything else? I want to make a little salt pot!
suggestions please......

Solunar Silver Studio
01-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Since you can get acrylic salt grinders I would assume that you can get a suitable food grade resin from somewhere...I'm not very well up with plastics...but I should have thought it is the best bet.....

ps_bond
01-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Argentium salt spoons seem to be quite resistant.
The silver salt cellars I've seen tend to have a glass insert for the actual salt.

EmmaRose
01-10-2009, 03:47 PM
hmmm thanks Peter. was thinking about using fine silver/ metal clay or even bronze clay..maybe I could buy a tiny glass bowl though if I use it as a former it will be too small, if I fire in place it might crack.....Nic? any ideas?
Em

amazingbabe
01-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Nic has been missing all day :confused: Wonder what she's up to :confused:

MuranoSilver
01-10-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm having a busy day at the shop today :)
Still here though
Nic x

MuranoSilver
01-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Hi Emma
Is this a salt container to be used every day? If it's just for special occasions then just take the salt out after and wash in warm soapy water. Leaving it in the cellar long term would damage the silver (eventually).

Nic x

EmmaRose
01-10-2009, 04:32 PM
probably not every day, just throwing ideas around. also wondering about copper or bronze clay....(since they are cheaper ;))
Em

Lindyloo
01-10-2009, 10:01 PM
I would have thought that aluminium would work, seeing as though they make saucepans from it. Stainless steel too, but can you buy that in sheets? Peter?

pauljoels
05-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Stainless will work - you can buy stainless, none coated/without a protective sleeve.

Not sure about Aluminium and it's corrosion resistance from salt.

I am pretty certian both can be bought in sheet form - I remember using sheet aluminium when I was at school.

EmmaRose
06-10-2009, 03:31 PM
if I can find somewhere that I don't have to buy lots from...and can anneal it to dome it.....life is never simple! the meerkat lies ;)

pauljoels
06-10-2009, 03:58 PM
No, no, the meerkat doesn't lie!

It is very simples...

You should maybe try contacting fabrication engineers - they usually have loads of offcuts hanging around. I know at the place I used to work at they used to have some - and at varying thicknesses. I miss those days, when I could go and speak to the technical director or the shop floor manager and ask what was lying around not needed for anything. My boss in that company had them use off cuts to him trendy speaker stands for a flat he bought...kept the boys (and one lady) busy in between projects!