PDA

View Full Version : Trying to create a ring like in the pic.. Help please!

AJM2021
18-02-2021, 02:38 PM
Hello all,

Since I've got some raw gem stones and would like to make a ring like this in those pics,
been searching for Blank Claw Ring (BTW is the name correct??)

Do you know reliable UK seller that sells blank ring like in the pic?
Preferably UK seller as I'm worried about Import duty but... overseas seller is fine as long as they are reliable or you've used before.

I've searched on eBay, Etsy but have not really found the item/seller unless I am typing the keyword wrong?
:(

-- I prefer just 4 claws
--18k Gold 9K Cold, or 925 Silver

Thanks in advance

josef1
18-02-2021, 03:00 PM
They would not be too difficult to solder up yourself

CJ57
18-02-2021, 03:08 PM
As this is a makers forum I’m not sure you’ll get stockists for component parts like that as most people would be making from scratch

AJM2021
18-02-2021, 04:26 PM
Thanks @josef1 @CJ57,
TBH I am not that advanced, but I love the idea of soldering myself...in the future

btw, talking of the original ring in the photo, ring's description says like
"2.5 micron thickness 18K Gold"

does that mean those rings are made in factory (or mass made) rather than hand crafted?
Sorry for the super newbie question, but I'd like to know how things work and what's possible/impossible :)

CJ57
18-02-2021, 05:44 PM
Thanks @josef1 @CJ57,
TBH I am not that advanced, but I love the idea of soldering myself...in the future

btw, talking of the original ring in the photo, ring's description says like
"2.5 micron thickness 18K Gold"

does that mean those rings are made in factory (or mass made) rather than hand crafted?

Sorry for the super newbie question, but I'd like to know how things work and what's possible/impossible :)

It means the thickness of the gold plating is...
They will be mass produced, overseas probably and not made by hand . Caroline

Dennis
18-02-2021, 09:01 PM
Rings like that are an entry level job and copper wire is cheap. Just roll up your sleeves and start making.
Don't wait for Christmas, it's a long way off. We can help. Dennis.

AJM2021
19-02-2021, 02:08 PM
It means the thickness of the gold plating is...
They will be mass produced, overseas probably and not made by hand . Caroline

Hi, Thanks for clarifying that Caroline,
I know my question sounds a little silly (for you experts) but I am eager to investigate and learn. x

CJ57
19-02-2021, 02:17 PM
Hi, Thanks for clarifying that Caroline,
I know my question sounds a little silly (for you experts) but I am eager to investigate and learn. x

There are loads of great beginners books and an endless amount of videos and tutorials out there to help it not seem so daunting. Sometimes it’s easier to watch something being done to get a feel for it and then it makes sense. The books also do step by step projects