PDA

View Full Version : Vertical drill/stands

Ruedeleglise
29-01-2021, 02:13 PM
Good afternoon. I am on the cadge for advice as ever! I wonder what you experienced and professional people use. I have a dreaded Dremel unit with a vertical drill stand. Apart from the lack of progressive speed control the vertical stand is a bit “hit and miss”. I also find it difficult to load the drill bit so it revolves perfectly round its vertical axis. Invariably it has a slight wobble which makes precise drilling impossible. I have had to drill undersize then broach out the hole using my horological broaches. This is hard work as these broaches are made to cut brass but struggle with the softer silver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

china
29-01-2021, 03:38 PM
Depends on the use I have a watch makers sensitive drill press for small drills up to about 4mm I also have a large drill press in the shed with will take from 2mm to 16mm and has 16 speeds,
I gave on Dremel stuff when it was sold and it just became junk. I believe the small Proxxon units have a good reputation for a reasonable price.

Ruedeleglise
29-01-2021, 03:53 PM
Thanks so much for your advice. My woodworking vertical bench drill 5mm to 35 plus mm would be just “a little bit over the top”! I will look into the Proton unit.

CJ57
29-01-2021, 03:54 PM
I have had a wee proxxon for a few years now having originally drilled everything by hand. I don’t know what I would do without it now but the price seems more expensive than I remember. Buy a universal chuck for it as the chucks provided are fiddly and don’t go down small enough for my purposes. The wobble just means you haven’t got it centred which can happen with small drills even on the proxxon so I just run it quickly to make sure by eye before I start drilling

Ruedeleglise
29-01-2021, 03:57 PM
Again thanks for your info. Even after giggling the bit around repeatedly it still wobbles. Either the drive is worn or the universal bit is worn.

china
29-01-2021, 04:05 PM
Ok bare in mind is is 2.30 am And should be away with fairies, I meant to say "Proxxon" I will go back and fix it

Ruedeleglise
29-01-2021, 04:06 PM
Go back to sleep! Thanks

NickD
29-01-2021, 08:06 PM
Good afternoon. I am on the cadge for advice as ever! I wonder what you experienced and professional people use. I have a dreaded Dremel unit with a vertical drill stand. Apart from the lack of progressive speed control the vertical stand is a bit “hit and miss”. I also find it difficult to load the drill bit so it revolves perfectly round its vertical axis. Invariably it has a slight wobble which makes precise drilling impossible. I have had to drill undersize then broach out the hole using my horological broaches. This is hard work as these broaches are made to cut brass but struggle with the softer silver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk I've been led to believe that the most popular Hobby pillar drills are all one and the same ( and Chinese)
I'm thinking about one of these

https://www.google.com/search?q=sealey+sdm30+pillar+drill+review&rlz=1CAIGZW_enGB936&oq=sealey&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j69i59l4j69i60l2.3702j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Silverline-262212-5024763041532-Diy-350W-Drill-Press-250Mm?gclid=CjwKCAiAgc-ABhA7EiwAjev-j9rgmu-It6dkLD2ehAWVSzVW-3Mko1epXkh36JbVaXGZP2xHwnWDQxoCSd0QAvD_BwE

Dennis
29-01-2021, 10:21 PM
No, all those drills are too big, too noisy, too wobbly, and simply no good for jewellery making.
What you need is the smaller Proxxon TBM220, Preferably with the addition of the optional three jaw chuck.
The speed is determined by moving the concealed belt onto different pullies. Mine is setup to run at its lowest speed for everything, and has been like that for more than twenty years.
https://www.axminstertools.com/proxxon-tbm-220-bench-drill-702060
You also need a block of wood under your piece to minimise spinning when drilling through, or use a drill vice. Dennis

NickD
30-01-2021, 08:57 AM
No, all those drills are too big, too noisy, too wobbly, and simply no good for jewellery making.
What you need is the smaller Proxxon TBM220, Preferably with the addition of the optional three jaw chuck.
The speed is determined by moving the concealed belt onto different pullies. Mine is setup to run at its lowest speed for everything, and has been like that for more than twenty years.
https://www.axminstertools.com/proxxon-tbm-220-bench-drill-702060
You also need a block of wood under your piece to minimise spinning when drilling through, or use a drill vice. Dennis

Depends on what you intend to make and what size you categorise jewellery as.
I'm not going to be running it for hours and so noise isn't an issue.
The machines I've looked at have rated very well for the accuracy of drilling.

Dennis
30-01-2021, 10:09 AM
Well, here are some reviews:

NickD
30-01-2021, 12:33 PM
Well, here are some reviews:

May I direct you to the overall sales for those two I mentioned Dennis
Selective reviews versus cash in tills .
Majority thumbs up I think.
Though why you both to trawl for info makes me wonder

Mwah

CJ57
30-01-2021, 02:11 PM
I agree with Dennis. I had one of the big drills that sat unused. Too clunky, no finesse for fine work, took up far too much room. A drill needs to cater for all needs of jewellery making whatever size. Mine went off to a woodworker who thinks it’s great

Ruedeleglise
30-01-2021, 03:17 PM
Thanks all. Space is at a premium in my house clock/jewellery/office, and I have a thumping great pillar drill in the garage workshop so I recon the dye is cast!

CJ57
30-01-2021, 05:30 PM
Depends on what you intend to make and what size you categorise jewellery as.
I'm not going to be running it for hours and so noise isn't an issue.
The machines I've looked at have rated very well for the accuracy of drilling.

We kind of know what suits you now especially as so many are working in small spaces these days!

NickD
31-01-2021, 09:04 AM
We kind of know what suits you now especially as so many are working in small spaces these days!

Sorry, you'll have to explain that with a little more clarity.
Is that the regal "we"?

;)

ps_bond
31-01-2021, 01:07 PM
May I direct you to the overall sales for those two I mentioned Dennis
Selective reviews versus cash in tills .
Majority thumbs up I think.
Though why you both to trawl for info makes me wonder

People buy a lot of things that are utter junk. Certain large jewellery brands for example... It means nothing other than the sales figures are high.

Ruedeleglise
01-02-2021, 08:22 AM
Sorry, you'll have to explain that with a little more clarity.
Is that the regal "we"?

;)

I think my friends were in fact making a personal comment as two in particular know my set up with horology and jewellery.