PDA

View Full Version : Repair work on 375 mixed metal ring... thick black gunk!

Madge
08-01-2021, 09:26 PM
Hi all =)

Hope you are keeping safe out there.
I'm hoping someone with more experience than I can help with a job I have!

I have been given a wedding ring to repair. I cleaned with hot water/soap and a toothbrush then ran it in the ultrasonic prior to working on it.
It's hallmarked 375 gold and appears solid yellow gold with a twisted tri colour decorated band along the centre in red gold, white and yellow.
When I heated the ring to start soldering (there's a small crack in the rose gold needing repair)... some black gunk started seeping out from between the tri colour band and decorative ring edge.
I stopped heating further just in case it was something I haven't come across and put it in some pickle!
Is it possible this is just more of the 2o years of dirt coming out or should I be aware of something else it could be?
I was able to clean it off with some elbow grease but it took some shifting.

Thanks in advance...
I've tried to attach a picture but it keeps failing!

Maria

Madge
08-01-2021, 09:30 PM

Picture if it's worked!

CJ57
08-01-2021, 10:03 PM
What came out in the ultrasonic , that would indicate whether it’s just lots of dirt or something else? It is pure gold?

ps_bond
09-01-2021, 08:16 AM
I'd concur. For really gunked up pieces I sometimes soak them in caustic soda prior to the u/s clean.

Madge
09-01-2021, 08:27 AM
What came out in the ultrasonic , that would indicate whether it’s just lots of dirt or something else? It is pure gold?

Thanks so much for your replies!
I only have a cheap ultrasonic so yes I might need to soak it first for a bit.
It is hallmarked as 375 and feels pretty solid. White gold always makes me nervous as it seems to stain pretty quickly and I have had trouble removing firestain from a white gold ring when I first started which traumatised me =).

Caustic soda sounds scary Peter?!

Dennis
09-01-2021, 09:33 AM
If attempting a repair on combined 9ct yellow and white gold, be sure to use only easy solder, or better still make your excuses and hand it back. Dennis.

Madge
09-01-2021, 09:57 AM
Ha. Yes, my husband unexpectedly brought it home from a work colleague otherwise I would have kindly refused this sort of job!

I have now been informed it is from H Samuels...hollow under neath the twisted area and filled with gunk perhaps?
Offer to make a new one?!

CJ57
09-01-2021, 11:29 AM
Or you could still refuse and let your husband explain why without asking you first he didn’t know. You could have all sorts of problems and then they’ll blame you and not expect to pay. The repair will probably cost more than the ring did. I’d stop now!

Madge
09-01-2021, 01:47 PM
Or you could still refuse and let your husband explain why without asking you first. You could have all sorts of problems and then they’ll blame you and not expect to pay. The repar will probably cost moser than the ring did. I’d stop now!

Thanks Caroline, yes I think it's looking that way. I hate giving things back and I like a challenge but not a world of pain =).

Thanks all. I can spend too long thinking about things when working on my own sometimes!
Maria

CJ57
09-01-2021, 02:06 PM
Thanks Caroline, yes I think it's looking that way. I hate giving things back and I like a challenge but not a world of pain =).

Thanks all. I can spend too long thinking about things when working on my own sometimes!
Maria

Sometimes that happens, especially just now. I’ve now edited my seemingly illiterate post:/

ps_bond
09-01-2021, 06:28 PM
Caustic soda sounds scary Peter?!

It's something to treat with caution - but most chemicals are, really. It's very effective on accumulated gunk in rings, providing there's no stones that won't handle it.

Madge
09-01-2021, 08:04 PM
It's something to treat with caution - but most chemicals are, really. It's very effective on accumulated gunk in rings, providing there's no stones that won't handle it.

Great thanks, if it doesn't go back I might give that a try.
Thanks for your help.

Maria

art925
11-01-2021, 09:54 AM
Seems its probably the gunk keeping it together.

Madge
12-01-2021, 02:47 PM
Seems its probably the gunk keeping it together.

This was my worry! :-O

Thanks all for for your guidance. I have just finished it. I soaked in some boiling water and then blasted with my household steam cleaner, then had another go at heating and low and behold no more gunk bubbling up..phew.
I burnished the cracked bit down and held in my third hand, used some easy 18ct solder i had lying around as couldn't find any 9ct easy.
It's worked to solder down the little crack that had curled up and have polished out the surface scratches and hopefully she can wear again for a while (until new cracks appear no doubt!).

Maria

Madge
12-01-2021, 02:50 PM

all polished =)

china
12-01-2021, 02:59 PM
Great result Maria, always feels good when you achieve the impossible.

mizgeorge
12-01-2021, 08:26 PM
Oh well done Maria - I think I might have ducked this one (after a bad experience with something similar!)

Dennis
12-01-2021, 08:46 PM
Congratulations, Maria. A satisfied customer and a reprieved husband.
Hope you don't get a flow of these now. Dennis.

Madge
18-01-2021, 06:03 PM
Congratulations, Maria. A satisfied customer and a reprieved husband.
Hope you don't get a flow of these now. Dennis.

Oh gosh I hope not!
She was over the moon with it and they've said they'll have me re-work into something new when it comes to it =)