PDA

View Full Version : Help with Sowzere threads

Petal
30-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Having got these beautiful threads, I have a quandry. I'd like to use them with some beautiful beads, but am unsure how to finish the threads off?

I thought of dabbing a bit of fraycheck on the ends and knotting them and leaving people to tie them at the length they prefer? Or do something else??

I'm trying not to panic here, as I've only got two days left to finish making stuff and prep for my next event =:-O

Any help or advice gratefully received!!! please

Thanks guys

bustagasket
30-09-2009, 08:05 PM
i have never heard of it!! ok i know thats not really surprising, but you got any pics so i can see what it is hun?

Petal
30-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Here they are... George recommended them and they are absolutely gorgeous! (Scroll down to the bottom of the page).

Silk Ribbons and Strings (http://www.sowzeredesigns.com/userimages/procart9.htm)

HELP !!

bustagasket
30-09-2009, 08:26 PM
oooooohhhh okies i am with you now, not that i can help you but at least i know what you are talking about now thanks :D

Emerald
30-09-2009, 08:26 PM
I put some of the fold over crimp ends on mine but then i am a cheap skate i cut the silk in half and used if for two beads only because the colours of one thread matched and nothing else from the set did but next time i think i will fold it over and wire wrap it :)

Solunar Silver Studio
30-09-2009, 08:33 PM
As a suggestion...pop 'sowzere' and 'flickr' onto Google and have a look at what other people have done with them in their work and put onto their photogallery. You will find that most of the first page is related to sowzere themselves but then you get onto other jewellery makers.... It looks like a lot do the coils you are currently perfecting...and some do knots... and other stuff. It's worth a look with a cuppa...or a glass if you really need to chill!! Take a few minutes out and research along with your relaxation!!;)

Petal
30-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Thanks Bee. You're keeping me positive - many thanks for that :X At the moment, I'm getting into a real tizz about this, as time is running out and tomorrow I've got loads of other housework stuff I really don't want to do grrrrr. I think I'll have a cup of tea tomorrow and have a look thru. (I was hoping George might pop in and make a suggestion... she must be busy herself). Ah well. off now. back tomorrow.

Di Sandland
30-09-2009, 09:24 PM
I knot mine and use beads - you can just about see the ends of my cords in this pic - silver bali beads. They're not sowzere ribbons but the principle is the same. On a necklace I made today, I used small lampworked spacer beads.

I tie a knot, string the chosen bead, then tie another knot. I cut close to the knot and seal with fraycheck or clear nail varnish.

lesley
30-09-2009, 09:38 PM
So far I've just knotted the ends and added a dab of Fray Check.
This alows the customer to "tie the silk at your preferred length" and is also known as laziness.:D
Actually, next time I'm going to knot the ends onto rings.

mizgeorge
01-10-2009, 07:32 AM
There are lots of these on my Flickr Jules, but I generally make a slider by popping either a lampwork spacer or a couple of silver washers onto both ends, then another smaller on on each end and then knotting off (and fraychecking if necessary). This means the pendant can be worn at different lengths without having to tie a bow or knot, which I find can end up being a bit bulky at the back of the neck.

Petal
01-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Oh thanks guys for all your guidance and comments - you are all so kind to us not so knowledgable ones and have tons of patience. [] I've a good look through Flickr and can see how other people have finished off their pieces and its given me lots of food for thought. ummm I'll get some larger hole beads and silver washers so that the threads are shown off nicely. I've had a quick look on the cookies site, but no luck....

oooh ... a knock at the door and .....its my Cookies stuff - Oh I can have a go at doing proper spirals with the right tool now! yipee!!!

amazingbabe
01-10-2009, 09:29 AM
totally love that necklace Di, :mwahaha: Just had a look at your website again and your items are very reasonable xx,,, do you sell elsewhere???

Di Sandland
01-10-2009, 10:02 AM
no - but have some craft fairs coming up in October and December. My previous experience of craft fairs is that they are very much a waste of time and you're lucky if you cover your table costs (that was at Saltram House near Plymouth). This is a different NT property, so who knows...

As for pricing - I double my costs and add my hourly rate. I have to admit that I don't always charge my full hourly rate because sometimes I am incredibly slow :'(