PDA

View Full Version : Oh no....

Lisa Quinn
30-09-2009, 05:30 PM
I having playing with Delft clay today when I was supposed to be doing two commission pieces.............I am sooo tired , hubby and kids have colds/flu/dengue fever ( hubby, 15yr old son, 5yr old daughter, take your pick as to which person has what disease!) so, only had a few hours sleep last night and have been up since 4.30am and I really don't like doing things like finishing and polishing when I am tired as I always make mistakes and wreck them just at the final stage. I need to finish them for the weekend, #-o

sooooooooooo should I:

a. stay up late tonight and Thursday and Friday?
b. book a days holiday?
c. throw a sickie?
d. stop procrastinating and wasting precious time on reading the posts here and just get on with it?
e. have a cup of tea? :cheers:

Wise advice from incredibly knowledgeable individuals please.

Ta

Lisa

Di Sandland
30-09-2009, 05:32 PM
throw a sickie

kymbi
30-09-2009, 05:35 PM
throw a sickie, then put your feet up with a cup of tea and sticky bun before catching up with your sleep and hit the ground running tomorrow

snow_imp
30-09-2009, 05:45 PM
I vote for throw a sickie - mainly 'cos otherwise you'll be on a real sickie and still not have anything done.

Am I being too literal here - hope not.

Hope it all goes well.[[]]

bustagasket
30-09-2009, 06:18 PM
awww dunno what to suggest really, but hope everything settles for you [[]]

MuranoSilver
30-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Sorry :soapbox: alert!!!
Throw a sickie????
As someone who employs people (and who has had to work my day off at the last minute due to staff illness).
Sickie throwing makes my blood boil :(|
I honestly believe that my current emlpoyees wouldn't throw a sickie,
but I have had people phone up in the past when I know it was a bloomin hangover :mad:

Before I continue on my "need to vent" I'd just like to take a moment
to say this is not aimed at Lisa OR anyone who offered it as a suggestion
but rather an attempt to put the whole concept from the employers side.

If you take a job then you should honour the responsibility of the job.
As an employee I broke 2 leg casts because I went to work in plaster,
(it was a shop floor job). Within my career, unless it was something that physically house bound me
(i.e. I needed to be in the Bathroom) I went to work.
Sometimes I got sent home sick and told not to come back until I was better...
but I showed willing.

Many's the time I've got distracted doing fun jewellery stuff (rather than commissions)
but that's why I'm often up until 1am making jewellery.

So (climbing off soapbox) going back to the first question,
any option except C!

Nic x
P.S> Glad you were having fun with the Delft casting & Jason Johns the man to pick the brains of!

Di Sandland
30-09-2009, 07:25 PM
and, as an ex-ward manager who ended up doing all the crap shifts because people were taking sickies, I do tend to agree with you. But, Lisa is going to end up being sick anyway because she's looking after her family and trying to do everything else.

I never, ever once threw a sickie but sometimes I have to say it was very tempting.

Petal
30-09-2009, 07:40 PM
I'd book a day's holiday, get on with your stuff and don't log onto here either. That way, it takes the pressure off you having to rush your commission and be honest with your employer and say you are (and have been) looking after your family as they are all ill. That way, you have been honest with them and have done yourself a favour by having a day off.

good luck ..:X let us know which one you decide...

Lisa Quinn
30-09-2009, 07:41 PM
hmmmmm..... looks like the sickie is winning in this poll......... but it is WRONG and I'll feel guilty, but then again I hate my job and they have just announced that nobody is getting a payrise this year due to the recession ( yeah right , any old excuse !! the income stream I work in has been more profitable than last year, hrrrmmmph!!) and I only have 3 years and 10 months to go until I retire so it is hardly going to damage my promotion prospects so.................. I'll let you know in the morning .

PS: Su thanks for being so sweet, I'm fine , I'm always juggling everything, as I imagine many others on this forum are, the men in my life are completely useless, messy,noisy,usually hungry and pathetic when sick ,which could get me down I suppose, but they absolutely love me to bits ( son aged 15yrs came home from school today and said in his new man's voice (which I can't get used to by the way) "hello mother dearest, how are you? Give me a hug, we haven't had one for ages" and having beem married for 12 years to the world's biggest *** I am truly grateful for my good fortune now.

PLUS since joining this forum, I've found a world of creative people with same kind passion for making jewellery that no one I know understands. Who else but us lot could get so giddy about a barrel polisher ?

Di Sandland
30-09-2009, 07:47 PM
giddy about a barrel polisher ?

talking of which, this evening I put in a load of earring fittings that I've had for a couple of years but not used because they're too flimsy. I thought I'd just give it a go to see if they would harden up a bit. Oh. My. Word! They're springy and actually usable. Why wouldn't we get giddy about barrel polishers when they can do stuff like that.

bustagasket
30-09-2009, 07:48 PM
So glad you arent gonna take the sickie route, as we employ people too and i get very miffed when people do that.

its great how its the little things like a simple hug keep us going, and yeah, i still look lovingly at my tools, god help me when i get the real expensive stuff :)