PDA

View Full Version : Which micromotor

Ianfs
30-10-2020, 12:09 PM
Hi all

I know this subject has been done to death but I've now decided on a micromotor rather than pendant motor to replace the Dremel I've been using. I am reluctant to buy on eBay after a recent bad experience and want the comfort of a reputable dealer I can go back to with any problems.

I am currently looking at either the Foredom micromotor or the Strong 209. The Strong is cheaper (and even more so and with a better guarantee from Moleroda) but has anyone got first hand experience of it. I know Caroline swears by her Foredom but does anyone swear by (or at) the Strong?

I currently use a Dremel borrowed from my daughter but it is very heavy in the hand and the speed control is unsatisfactory. I am only an occasional user but with the right tool...

Thank you in advance.

Ian

Dennis
30-10-2020, 01:25 PM
Hi Ian. You will be delighted to hand back your Dremel and work with a proper micromotor.

It is however likely that in time to come you will also wish for a hammer handpiece for stone setting and texturing. The Foredom offers this as an add on, but at quite a high price, so this is a negative aspect of micromotors, compared with pendants.

The Strong is likely to be reliable and Moleroda is a good company for customer support, but it will not take a hammer attachment. On the plus side, you can opt for the handpiece with interchangeable collets. This will allow you to continue using any favourite Dremel tools with 3mm shafts, and buy rotary tools on line, such as sanding drums, which are difficult to source in 2.35mm. Dennis.

Ianfs
30-10-2020, 03:31 PM
As ever Dennis, thank you for your reply.

It is good to hear about the Moleroda support; I was certainly impressed by the amount of time given to me over the phone when discussing the Strong.

All the best

Ian

CJ57
30-10-2020, 04:10 PM
Hi all

I know this subject has been done to death but I've now decided on a micromotor rather than pendant motor to replace the Dremel I've been using. I am reluctant to buy on eBay after a recent bad experience and want the comfort of a reputable dealer I can go back to with any problems.

I am currently looking at either the Foredom micromotor or the Strong 209. The Strong is cheaper (and even more so and with a better guarantee from Moleroda) but has anyone got first hand experience of it. I know Caroline swears by her Foredom but does anyone swear by (or at) the Strong?

I currently use a Dremel borrowed from my daughter but it is very heavy in the hand and the speed control is unsatisfactory. I am only an occasional user but with the right tool...

Thank you in advance.

Ian

I swear by my Foredom Only because I haven’t had anything else. It was a present and I wanted it mainly with a hammer hand piece but can’t afford to pay the same again and it seemed churlish at the time to say why didn’t you talk to me first, but why didn’t he!!
Had I known that there are cheaper versions I would probably have gone for one. I’m sure in a previous post there was a brand of micromotor suggested as an alternative. Moleroda seem to have happy customers though. In the end it depends what you need from it but in general micromotors seems to be lighter and quieter but then anything is compared to a Dremel:)
By the time I get this written someone will have named the other one

Ps not only do I swear by, I swear about a lot of things these days!

Ianfs
30-10-2020, 07:03 PM
I swear by my Foredom Only because I haven’t had anything else. It was a present and I wanted it mainly with a hammer hand piece but can’t afford to pay the same again and it seemed churlish at the time to say why didn’t you talk to me first, but why didn’t he!!
Had I known that there are cheaper versions I would probably have gone for one. I’m sure in a previous post there was a brand of micromotor suggested as an alternative. Moleroda seem to have happy customers though. In the end it depends what you need from it but in general micromotors seems to be lighter and quieter but then anything is compared to a Dremel:)
By the time I get this written someone will have named the other one

Ps not only do I swear by, I swear about a lot of things these days!

I briefly looked into the issue of the Foredom hammer hand piece. I think it is available as a separate item but couldn't find anyone who sells it in the UK, only the US. The only way to get it seems to be to buy it with the control box from Cooksongold and buy the standard hand piece in addition. Serious money I could never justify, even if I had used a hammer action before.

CJ57
30-10-2020, 09:38 PM
That’s exactly how I feel. Although it’s now cheaper from Cookson than mine was it is still a dreadful amount of money and I can’t justify it either for the amount of use I put it through

Ianfs
12-11-2020, 06:17 PM
That’s exactly how I feel. Although it’s now cheaper from Cookson than mine was it is still a dreadful amount of money and I can’t justify it either for the amount of use I put it through

Thanks all for your helpful advice. Having mulled things over and over (...and over...), I have now bought...(drum roll)

A Foredom pendant motor! For anyone who has been in the same quandary as me over the last year or so, I came to my decision as follows:

1. I thought the pendant motor would be stronger than the micro motor and have more torque.
2. The motor doesn't take up any space on my small bench. The stand footprint on the edge of my bench is negligible.
3. I get the opportunity to fit a hammer action and bigger chuck in the future. The micromotor option for the hammer action was out of my budget.
4. It can be converted to a pillar drill.

I have given it a little run and it is quieter than I thought it would be. The foot pedal action is so smooth. My first job though has been to clean the rouge off my daughter's Dremel before I return it.

Again, thanks to all who take the time to read and reply to my and others' agonising. It is comforting to have such a wealth of expertise to draw on.

Stay safe and sane

Ian

Dennis
12-11-2020, 07:45 PM
That's that then. The decision's been made and I'm sure you won't be sorry to hand back the dreaded Dremel. Please keep in touch and show us what you are making. Dennis.

CJ57
12-11-2020, 08:48 PM
Thanks all for your helpful advice. Having mulled things over and over (...and over...), I have now bought...(drum roll)

A Foredom pendant motor! For anyone who has been in the same quandary as me over the last year or so, I came to my decision as follows:

1. I thought the pendant motor would be stronger than the micro motor and have more torque.
2. The motor doesn't take up any space on my small bench. The stand footprint on the edge of my bench is negligible.
3. I get the opportunity to fit a hammer action and bigger chuck in the future. The micromotor option for the hammer action was out of my budget.
4. It can be converted to a pillar drill.

I have given it a little run and it is quieter than I thought it would be. The foot pedal action is so smooth. My first job though has been to clean the rouge off my daughter's Dremel before I return it.

Again, thanks to all who take the time to read and reply to my and others' agonising. It is comforting to have such a wealth of expertise to draw on.

Stay safe and sane

Ian
That sounds perfect. I think I found that it was cheaper to buy a pendant motor than it was to buy the hammer action micromotor unit.
Anything will be quieter than a dremel!