PDA

View Full Version : pearls and olive oil

china
17-10-2020, 03:56 AM
Hi,

Specifically a question for the resident Pearl Guru Wendy (Pearlescence) although I am open to all opinions, is it correct that every so often, the owner of Pearl Jewellery should apply a tiny smear of
olive oil.

pearlescence
17-10-2020, 07:55 AM
No.
Seriously ...no.
That's a new one on me. But no. All you'd get were greasy pearls which picked up a lot of dirt.
If you have pearls in need of loving care I can refer you to my friend Kathleen in Australia.

CJ57
17-10-2020, 10:15 AM
I’ve only heard of oiling amber. I used to meet amber lovers and dealers at the local auction and it was always suggested that amber beads should be given an oil

china
17-10-2020, 02:03 PM
Thank you for that, some one some where is telling people to oil their pearls to keep them in top condition, two people I have made Pearl jewellery for have asked me this, "They had heard it" my reply was I had never heard of it so I decided to ask the experts.

pearlescence
17-10-2020, 08:19 PM
I've heard some things in my pearly time (I think the best was that the holes are made in pearls while they are soft just after they hatch...) Or there's the person who insisted her pearls were real cultured pearls because she had been to the factory and watched the manufacturing process (mallorca)

china
18-10-2020, 01:41 PM
I 'm must be doing it the hard way I bought a expensive little drilling machine

CJ57
18-10-2020, 04:59 PM
I 'm must be doing it the hard way I bought a expensive little drilling machine

Sometimes I wonder if any of us know what we’re doing when you listen to Joe Public!

Dennis
18-10-2020, 09:00 PM
In the olden days people were superstitious about pearls and opals. Some said they were unlucky. Have you come across that?

pearlescence
18-10-2020, 09:28 PM
Oh, all the time. I just ignore it. Too many people are determined to be stupid.

china
19-10-2020, 03:22 AM
I get the unlucky bit with Opal all the time, I just explain about the myth and that Cleopatra though just the opposite, I have had the Greenies tell me off for torturing Oysters to get Pearls

pearlescence
19-10-2020, 07:39 AM
I get the unlucky bit with Opal all the time, I just explain about the myth and that Cleopatra though just the opposite, I have had the Greenies tell me off for torturing Oysters to get Pearls

You could tell them the oysters are happy- implanting the nucleus in their sex organ makes them more not less reproductively active.