PDA

View Full Version : PMC Silver and gemstone

Catcher713
24-09-2020, 03:25 AM
Good evening,
This is my first time asking for some advice and hope someone can help me save this piece.
I have been adding gemstones to PMC Silver as into a clay setting and always try to make sure the table of the stone is down far enough so when fired it does not come out after firing. I fired a piece and after polishing it I put it in my tumbler to finish it and the stone came out. is there anyway of fixing the stone in it to stay put? I have never had this happen in 11 years.
Thank you
Helen

Freila
18-10-2020, 05:14 PM
Hi

I'm not an expert by any means have been using Art Silver Clay for over a year now. I usually set my stones after firing and polishing using strong glue. G-S Hypo Cement to be exact. I find this works very well for me as the stones dont loose their lustre. Its transparent and has a needle thin applicator. The glue is solid after 24 hours. Longer in hot or humid temperatures. Hope this helps.
Alyson

Dennis
18-10-2020, 09:13 PM
Of the top of my head:

You could possibly replace the stone a little deeper and then with a needle or saw blade, position a touch of slurry to complete the setting.
Let it dry, trim it , and re-fire.

Alternatively, you could use the right size of closed thin jump ring, lay it in top and solder with easy solder. Avoid playing the fame directly on the stone Dennis.