PDA

View Full Version : help me between microscope and pneumatic engraving

RichardNy
12-09-2020, 12:28 AM
hi .. i have th base tools. rolling mill, micro-motor, ultrasonic, steamer. opt-visors 2x to 3.5x . ball vise. smith-little torch. the base i have.. so i wanna invest in some more .. and in this stage im stuck to decide which is more importante between microscope and pneumatic engraving system.

i like to do setting with small stones like 1.2-1.5 i have a hand punching graver .. 3 of them .. but my finish is not good enough.

which one should i invest? and why?

thank you all in advance.

hope everyone be well and stay safe.

china
12-09-2020, 03:21 AM
Well just to make your decision more difficult, most serious engravers use a microscope the microscope can be use for a variety of jobs, so can the engraver such as stone setting and general bench work, personally I would go for the microscope, in my situation I have all my quality engraving performed by a super top quality engraver, I suppose it depends on what you do most at this time, engraving or general bench work.

RichardNy
12-09-2020, 05:25 AM
Well just to make your decision more difficult, most serious engravers use a microscope the microscope can be use for a variety of jobs, so can the engraver such as stone setting and general bench work, personally I would go for the microscope, in my situation I have all my quality engraving performed by a super top quality engraver, I suppose it depends on what you do most at this time, engraving or general bench work.

OMG xD but if could buy only one..? still was gonna be the microscope?

china
12-09-2020, 06:48 AM
Yes personally I would buy the microscope

ps_bond
12-09-2020, 08:43 AM
Scope. Look at Jason Marchiafava's videos for some hand-pushed training using a scope.

josef1
12-09-2020, 02:22 PM
Microscope for me too. I think its one of my favorite things , Its probs the best thing I have purchased to improve my setting

ps_bond
12-09-2020, 03:43 PM
I've just used mine to take a couple of thorns from the szechuan pepper bush out of my fingers (and earlier I was doing some board rework under it).

alastairduncan
12-09-2020, 05:27 PM
It's the microscope for me as well. As an alternative style of engraving take a look at Malcolm Appleby's work.

https://www.instagram.com/malcolm_appleby_engraving

He uses a scope as well as Leica surgeons magnifiers. He is old school push engraving as well as hammer and chisel, very different style to Jason Marchiafava's work.

RichardNy
12-09-2020, 10:30 PM
Scope. Look at Jason Marchiafava's videos for some hand-pushed training using a scope.

wow this guy do a really fine work! he use only pushed graver? no pneumatic?

ps_bond
13-09-2020, 01:55 PM
This should work...

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/ornamentalengraving/328537972

Malcolm Appleby's style is very different - what's shown here is more of a focus on the (dare I say more basic) fundamental decorative engraving motifs.

RichardNy
13-09-2020, 03:20 PM
This should work...

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/ornamentalengraving/328537972

Malcolm Appleby's style is very different - what's shown here is more of a focus on the (dare I say more basic) fundamental decorative engraving motifs.

basically i need the graver to make the cuts on pave setting.. and surround stones. and i dont have the hammer handpiece.. because i use a micromotor .. and only the handppiece is a price of a engraving system or a microscope.

ps_bond
14-09-2020, 09:07 AM
Flat, onglette, round scorpers (if you're raising beads rather than cutting down around them). Everything in Jason's video is, IIRC, done with an onglette & a flat.
I still use my "basic" gravers & scorpers as well as the Airgraver.

RichardNy
14-09-2020, 10:26 PM
Flat, onglette, round scorpers (if you're raising beads rather than cutting down around them). Everything in Jason's video is, IIRC, done with an onglette & a flat.
I still use my "basic" gravers & scorpers as well as the Airgraver.

so its possible do it?
without air graver?>

ps_bond
15-09-2020, 08:03 AM
Seriously? People have been engraving and setting with gravers & scorpers for centuries. Powered engraving tools are a very recent development by comparison. Yes, they make a few things easier, but there's nothing can be done with them that can't be done by hand.
Have a look at the Art of Setting by Grether for some advice on traditional setting methods.

RichardNy
15-09-2020, 01:24 PM
Seriously? People have been engraving and setting with gravers & scorpers for centuries. Powered engraving tools are a very recent development by comparison. Yes, they make a few things easier, but there's nothing can be done with them that can't be done by hand.
Have a look at the Art of Setting by Grether for some advice on traditional setting methods.

Hoo thats great! I will check and study them..

So come the next thing..

Is the old microscope like 8 years old are functional as new ones?

A friend told me to buy a leica a60 but is way too much for me.

Advice for a microscope with a maximun budget of 550$ ? Used or new ... wich ine should i take?

china
15-09-2020, 01:28 PM
This is the piece my engraver completed, at the end of his apprenticeship and presented the the Goldsmiths Hall, it is entirely had pushed
12710 a example as to what can be achieved by hand

ps_bond
15-09-2020, 02:05 PM
There are better optics around, there are worse. My Nikon is from the early 80s, IIRC - and I've not come across a reason to upgrade it. Amscope get sneered at by "proper" engravers, but I know a number of jewellers who swear by them; a couple of years ago Meiji were the "only" scope to use, now it's Leica.

This has more detail - and pretty much everything said then is valid now:
https://engraverscafe.com/threads/stereo-microscopes-to-buy-and-to-avoid.3451/

ps_bond
15-09-2020, 02:06 PM
This is the piece my engraver completed, at the end of his apprenticeship and presented the the Goldsmiths Hall, it is entirely had pushed...

And I doubt he was using a scope either :)

RichardNy
15-09-2020, 02:44 PM
And I doubt he was using a scope either :)

The Leica sz4 would work for the job? I dont need any fancy right now

ps_bond
15-09-2020, 03:34 PM
So long as you have enough working distance under the objective - it has an objective of 0.7-3x, so with 10x eyepieces it's a decent range for setting/engraving. Might need a Barlow lens though, in which case your max magnification will be reduced.
Make sure you get a suitable stand as well - normal microscope stands aren't useful in this, some sort of boom arm will be needed.
http://www.science-info.net/docs/leitz/Leica_Stereozoom_Series_Microscopes.pdf

Or go with Amscope.

alastairduncan
15-09-2020, 05:13 PM
I have an Eakins scope that looks like the components come from the same factory as the Amscope. A review can be found here:

https://youtu.be/sZqCsk0kGm8

I'm more than happy with it, and it has a good working distance.