PDA

View Full Version : anodised aluminium

hell_666_uk
15-07-2009, 06:35 PM
i have been looking at anodised aliminium jewellery and i really want to try and make some of my own but i don't know where to get any of the stuff i need to get started. Can you help me?

SilverByRosie
15-07-2009, 07:14 PM
What sort of jewellery are you looking at making with it? I'm assuming chainmaille as that's the only type I know that uses it.

You can get ready made jump rings from Beadsisters in the UK, or The Ring Lord in Canada. TRL have a much wider selection, but you have to pay more for shipping and be careful of customs charges. I believe TRL also sell ready anodized lengths of wire, but I'm not sure how that would stand up to bending.

Hope I've helped :)

~Rosie

EmmaRose
20-07-2009, 02:57 PM
depends if you want to anodise your own, in which case you need special baths for cleaning, opening, anodising and sealing. These take several chemicals and for the anodising an electrical current (which I believe is possible with a car battery.) You can also buy pre anodised sheets which need just to be dyed and sealed. However you need to buy these in significant quantities. I suggest you try and take a course as colleges may give you access to their equipment and supplies....
oh, and there are many more uses than jump rings.....Jane Adams is probably the most famous user of aluminum!
Em

SilverByRosie
20-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Just Googled Jane Adam, and wow that stuff is pretty! I didn't realise you could get such artistic effects with anodising.

~Rosie

EmmaRose
20-07-2009, 09:01 PM
oh its a whole other world.
have a look at Mandy Nash's work too (mandynash.co.uk)
E

SilverByRosie
20-07-2009, 09:30 PM
I've seen some of Mandy's work in a magazine, but didn't realise it was anodised.

This is making me want to have a go myself!

Coco
21-07-2009, 06:08 PM
You can also buy pre anodised sheets which need just to be dyed and sealed.

Oooh! I wanna go at that! How do you dye and seal metal though? *Feels all stupid* :o

EmmaRose
28-07-2009, 04:19 PM
you can buy dyes for aluminium, or experiment....you can draw, screen print etc on it. then you seal it in boiling water. the hardest thing is you CANNOT solder! you can weld alu or use cold connections (eg rivets etc)
Em

caroleallen
28-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Have a look in my album. I've just done a course and these were my first attempts.