PDA

View Full Version : Turn sterling silver to argentium

RichardNy
17-08-2020, 11:57 AM
I have sterling silver .. how can i make a argentium? Is just add fine silver till reach 93,5%? Or have some other process? Thank you in advance guys!

ps_bond
17-08-2020, 12:52 PM
Argentium relies upon germanium in the alloy. It's available, but I've never tried melting it & alloying it - given the anti-tarnish action is mostly down to the formation of germanium oxide I suspect it's something that'll require a vacuum furnace to alloy.

RichardNy
17-08-2020, 04:59 PM
Argentium relies upon germanium in the alloy. It's available, but I've never tried melting it & alloying it - given the anti-tarnish action is mostly down to the formation of germanium oxide I suspect it's something that'll require a vacuum furnace to alloy.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

and about fine silver to sterling silver? is just add copper?

ps_bond
17-08-2020, 08:38 PM
A basic sterling alloy is 92.5% fine silver, 7.5% copper - what exactly are you trying to do, given germanium is going to cause you problems?

RichardNy
22-08-2020, 04:25 AM
A basic sterling alloy is 92.5% fine silver, 7.5% copper - what exactly are you trying to do, given germanium is going to cause you problems?

bond.. i bought a spooon to melt.. and it is soo contamitaded... when i heat the silver to anneling .. it create like mini bubbles ok the metal.. so i was thinking in add a fine silver ..how can i purify to be just a sterling? have some way? or no chance ... need bring into fine silver then remake everything? if so i will sell everything and buy argentium ... who looks much better in finish.

ps_bond
22-08-2020, 10:07 AM
Honestly? It depends how you value your time. I'd scrap it and buy known good sheet. Are you sure it's silver and not plated?

RichardNy
24-08-2020, 04:23 AM
yes im sure.. one another question.. if i buy .. the Argentium silver grain... it can eb melted and rolling to make wire and sheets like sterling silver? i know is silly question but due the composition... im asking to make sure. yes it is silver.

china
24-08-2020, 04:36 AM
Absolutely I do it all the time.

RichardNy
24-08-2020, 03:07 PM
Is the argentium really more white and beauty than sterling?
Some tip to work with argentium China? That can prevent me to make a mistake? Thank you in advance!!

ps_bond
24-08-2020, 03:27 PM
No, it's no more white than sterling. It's the tarnish resistance that's the key thing.
Don't heat it to red heat unsupported; it tends to crack. It anneals at a lower temperature.
https://www.riogrande.com/article?name=Working-with-Argentium-Silver-Tips-Procedures-IS

china
24-08-2020, 03:37 PM
Casting is essentially the same as sterling, as said above it does not hold its shape well if heated to hi red heat I have never had a problem when annealing, when soldering let it cool a bit before you grab it and pickle

RichardNy
28-08-2020, 04:48 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

and about fine silver to sterling silver? is just add copper?

can i melt down the Argentium grain and make my own sheet and grain thru rolling mill? or it will crack all time? some rule about it?

china
29-08-2020, 06:42 AM
I melt Argentium scrap and grain all the time, same as any metal really just make sure you keep it annealed when putting it through the mill etc.