PDA

View Full Version : bringing in the top of a raised bowl

dksilver
12-08-2020, 11:01 AM
HI

Id like to learn how to bring in the top of a metal bowl...

I have been teaching myself how to rais a metal bowl, using copper/silver. i have been using a wooden doming block to do the first rounds of blocking then one long raising stake at the moment and have been able to make a nice bowl shape.

However i want to learn how to bring the top of the bowl in, so that it curves in at the top, shrinking the metal somehow so there is a smaller opening than the widest part of the bowl.

im wondering if i need a special stake for this or can i do it with what i have ? happy for your advise.

Regards Daniel

ps_bond
12-08-2020, 11:56 AM
A quick & easy method to bring in the top edge of a bowl is to sink it - stick it on its side, use a stump (or block of end-grain pine, for example) and hammer a course with a domed headed hammer. That'll start to curl it in. Repeat as needed, with annealing.

If you're looking for something more substantial, investigate angle raising - essentially you break the vessel into segments and raise each angle in turn (so for the base section, you raise the entire thing to that angle; then bring in vertical walls a set distance from the base, then neck in the upper section for example). Finegold & Seitz has a good explanation of this. Obviously, the narrower the aperture, the narrower the stake needs to be...

dksilver
19-08-2020, 01:28 PM
Thankyou Peter ... thats helpfull, sometimes its just the simple information that allows me to be able to start working something out. Cheers Daniel