PDA

View Full Version : Tarnishing info

Petal
06-08-2020, 03:14 PM
I've been researching tips on stopping tarnish and found this on the BAO website and thought it might be useful to others. https://theassayoffice.com/tarnish_labexpert

china
06-08-2020, 03:53 PM
That was very enlightening looks like I have a re think coming up

Petal
06-08-2020, 04:13 PM
I was quite astonished about some of the findings and wonder if its almost too much information to give customers, or perhaps not??

CJ57
06-08-2020, 05:23 PM
I isually roughly wrap mine in ordinary tissue with a black garnish tab in the jewellery boxes I use when they are sold which have got a bit scabby or the corners have gone. My work can lie form one OS to the next year and usually only needs a quick dip and washing up liquid wash. I find the tabs work well.
Someone on another forum was complaining about tarnish after being in boxes and we wondered if it was perhaps the glue

Petal
06-08-2020, 05:54 PM
That's interesting Caroline, I think I'm going to do a test with my jewellery, give it a clean, wrap in acid free tissue paper, along with a tab and see how it fares. God knows what sort of glue they use in packaging!

CJ57
06-08-2020, 06:20 PM
I just use ordinary tissue from eBay, not sure it’s acid free as the BAO said that acid free has sulphur. I get my boxes from the Bagnbox Man because I know most of my customers throw them out and put them in their own jewellery boxes so they are expensive enough!
The tabs seem to be good though and I don’t think their is an end date on them as someone suggested as long as there isn’t air getting into the boxes