PDA

View Full Version : Clear Enamel for Silver

Sandra
09-07-2020, 01:59 PM
Hello all,

I just have a question about clear enamel, I'm currently teaching myself enamelling and as it goes when I'm teaching myself anything it results in many mistakes! I want to do some counter-enamelling of pendants I'm working on in clear as I'd rather not cover all the lovely silver. I tested one by using a clear flux by WG Ball. Unfortunately after firing it is quite yellow - would anyone know if there are any clear enamels available that will fire completely clear??

alastairduncan
09-07-2020, 09:37 PM
How did you fire the enamel torch or kiln?

Sandra
10-07-2020, 06:39 AM
I used a kiln, at about 790C for 2 minutes each firing. I did the counter enamel first then after cooling flipped it over and enamelled the front.

alastairduncan
10-07-2020, 08:19 AM
I'm not sure I can help you Sandra. I've used the Schauer as a base for some cloisonne and I don't remember seeing any yellow tint.

Are you using sterling or fine silver? If it's sterling have you removed any surface copper/firescale with nitric acid or depletion guilding? This can react with the enamel.

Sandra
10-07-2020, 09:17 AM
I'm not sure I can help you Sandra. I've used the Schauer as a base for some cloisonne and I don't remember seeing any yellow tint.

Are you using sterling or fine silver? If it's sterling have you removed any surface copper/firescale with nitric acid or depletion guilding? This can react with the enamel.

Alastair I am using fine silver for this project. I think maybe I should try a different clear enamel, I will look at the one you mentioned, thanks!

alastairduncan
10-07-2020, 10:31 AM
Schauer have 6 different fluxes, its a minefield, I should imagine W.G. Ball are the same. You might try contacting them and they may be able to advise on an appropriate flux for your purpose.

alastairduncan
10-07-2020, 11:45 AM
This popped into my Instagram feed today, it has the properties of a number of different fluxes. You will have to hit the translate link. Hope it helps.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCdTnZeirOa

Sandra
11-07-2020, 06:48 AM
This popped into my Instagram feed today, it has the properties of a number of different fluxes. You will have to hit the translate link. Hope it helps.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCdTnZeirOa

Wow thanks for that! I am able to see exactly what I need now - the 2020 Thompson clear for silver. Next mission is to find it!

alastairduncan
11-07-2020, 09:05 AM
The post is not a complete list and your processes may differ so I would recommend a test but I'm sure you would do this anyway. You may be able to get a small sample from a supplier.