PDA

View Full Version : Wax carving pens question

marcos9999
12-06-2020, 04:21 PM
Hello,
I've been looking at wax carving heat pens. They offer heat pens that are quite expensive but there are other pens that are marketed to dentists that look essentially the same as "jewelry wax pens" but are way more affordable. Are there any difference between dental wax pens and jewelry wax pens? Their tips look the same, they use basically the same wax and have a heat gradation dial. Anyone with any experience on that.

Thanks!

alastairduncan
13-06-2020, 01:04 AM
Could it be the difference between a brand item and copy? There are quite a lot of dentists and jewellery tools that originate in China and are great for the hobyist but may not stand the test of time for everyday use. Do you have particular items we can compare?

marcos9999
13-06-2020, 01:46 AM
I bought this one used and without thinking too much because it was only 20 dollars. I was looking at spending way more than that. It just looks like any other device, a heating dial control and pens with tips. What could be so different?

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Carving-Machine-Double-Dental/dp/B01DOEOMVG

china
13-06-2020, 05:16 AM
"What could be so different" quality of material quality of manufacture, a warranty that is actually redeemable, consumable parts in 2 years ( if it lasts that long ) electrical compliance (safety).
Then there is the issue of corporate intellectual knowledge theft, i.e. if the item is a counterfeit and many items from China are, then you are supporting that theft.

marcos9999
13-06-2020, 06:07 AM
You're 100% correct. All these issues are true, however all I need to know at this point is if this tool can be used for molding wax for jewelry. Thank you

CJ57
13-06-2020, 12:17 PM
I have seen Dennis suggest dental tools in the past as being cheaper equivalents although not specifically wax carving.
I would have thought if you are buying from a reputable dental supplies company Then the above wouldn’t be the case. It’s worth looking anyway