PDA

View Full Version : Buying a bench

Sheen
09-05-2020, 10:04 AM
Hi everybody, it's been a while as it's been a bit tough, had a severe migraine and it's screwed up my eyes. Seeing double currently but have been assured it will wear off. This has made reading and writing rather difficult but I was wanting to ask your thoughts on this bench. I want to have one in a sliding wardrobe in my flat, from the dimensions given it should fit (the width/depth is 475mm, different from the measurements on cookson) Anyone bought this one. I'm left handed but it should be okay I think.

https://durston.com/product/durston-professional-wooden-bench-jewellers-benches/

Dennis
09-05-2020, 12:01 PM
Hi Sheena, wishing you a speedy recovery from the migraine.
The bench will be quite heavy when loaded with tools, so are you planning to leave it in place, or does it have to be taken out?
You might also consider something much simpler such as this one, and have separate sets of drawers, free standing. The thumbnail below it shows a Durston one, presumably not included, but you could also add a set of metal office drawers. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Durston-Jewellers-Student-Workbench-Pro/dp/B07N1L6MKP/ref=pd_lpo_60_img_1/258-3583485-8583750?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07N1L6MKP&pd_rd_r=4b24dd36-b889-4530-8492-21bcc95ebf46&pd_rd_w=3DBLf&pd_rd_wg=xIbgJ&pf_rd_p=7b8e3b03-1439-4489-abd4-4a138cf4eca6&pf_rd_r=BKAX65BS5Z1C73TH19F0&psc=1&refRID=BKAX65BS5Z1C73TH19F0

Dennis

Sheen
09-05-2020, 02:20 PM
Once it's in the wardrobe it'll stay there until I move flat, which won't happen for some years I hope. Sadly I don't have a spare room so putting it in the giant living room wardrobe is my best bet. I've never had a proper jewellers desk so it's a bit of a guess as to what I'd like. Main thing is having a surface with no bounce to work on and somewhere to set up a vice and bench peg.

Sheen
26-05-2021, 07:29 PM
I've finally contacted a joiner to ask him about having a bench made. i don't know anything about benches, does anyone have a good resource for them? Is a cut out worth having? Anything I should be aware of when I'm a small woman. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. As it's going to be in a cupboard i'm going to look into insulating the walls to to keep the sound down. I'd love to finally be able to have my drill out permanently and my heavy gauge wire bender screwed to a table so I can actually use it.

Sheen
26-05-2021, 07:34 PM
What do you think about this guy's bench build?
https://youtu.be/sqny0VgeCfM

china
27-05-2021, 03:15 AM
The one in the video should be ok, the thing about having it made means you can adjust the size and anything else to suit, the top is important at least 38-40 mm, I use a draw to catch things not a skin.

Sheen
27-05-2021, 05:40 AM
What's the benefit in having a drawer rather than a skin?
I was thinking about the things i would use my bench for. It would be hammering, sawing, wax carving and stone setting. I'm going to keep the soldering in my kitchen because of safety issues.

china
27-05-2021, 06:08 AM
Draw vs skin purely a matter of choice, I find if you frequently move from your Jewellery bench to other locations as I do, soldering station is adjacent my main bench and my heavy bench is is behind me, I find it more convenient to slide in a draw rather than unhooking a skin

art925
27-05-2021, 06:26 AM
If you are on the shorter side like me and you have a specific location to work with I would suggest having the bespoke one made. Think about your chair height, your sitting position and good posture this can then determine the height of the bench. Think about thickness of top, and type of surface as it will absorb hammering noises, it needs to be sturdy so have the legs X braced. The actual top of mine is is not fixed it slots onto pins so can easily be removed if required. I have a draw to catch everything, again this comes all the way out, allowing for all sweepings to be poured into a tub. Looking at the vid, the design would no suit me, the draws are not positioned comfortably for me, I have separate draws to the left, the L form would not work for me. The depth of the work bench for me is important, too deep and it is wasted space.
Good luck.

Dennis
27-05-2021, 09:23 AM
Some random comments:
1. Cut outs enable everything to be within reach, but waste about a quarter of the work area. Its up to you.
2. It is quite useful to have the drawers separate and on casters. The bottoms need to be strong or they will give way due to the weight of steel tools and blocks.
3. The worktop needs a wooden barrier on three sides to prevent things falling off. Dennis.

CJ57
27-05-2021, 09:58 AM
I’ve always had a skin as I like the flexibility. I bought a new bench of the tall variety with drawer and I hated everything about it, hate the drawer especially as I banged my knees. I sold it on to another jeweller. Have an adjustable height stool but like me you’ll probably not be spending a working day at the bench

Sheen
27-05-2021, 10:39 AM
I’ve always had a skin as I like the flexibility. I bought a new bench of the tall variety with drawer and I hated everything about it, hate the drawer especially as I banged my knees. I sold it on to another jeweller. Have an adjustable height stool but like me you’ll probably not be spending a working day at the bench

No just a couple of hours at the most. The main activity that gets my neck is wax carving. I'd like a better posture for that. My breakfast bar is making me scrunch over particularly because the light is not quite in the right place. Definitly going to get an adjustable seat. My breakfast bar chair has actually been quite good in that regard.

Do you have a cutout Caroline? I imagine you need one if you have a skin

CJ57
27-05-2021, 11:09 AM
Yes I have quite a wide cutout because the depth of my bench had to fit the size of the room.

Sheen
29-05-2021, 08:34 AM
Yes I have quite a wide cutout because the depth of my bench had to fit the size of the room.

My bench is going to be quite narrow to fit the cupboard I want to put it in, 18 1/2 " deep. I've never used a cut out so it's hard for me to know what it would be like.

Sheen
29-05-2021, 08:35 AM
I've been looking at those holes for slotting mandrels into the edge of your bench. Would anyone recommend them? If so, does your mandrel need to be a tight fit and how deep do they need to be?

CJ57
29-05-2021, 11:38 AM
I sent you an email a couple of days ago. Hope it arrived!

china
29-05-2021, 03:36 PM
Re mandrel holes I don't use them or have them.
( why am I up at 1.10 am at 7 deg c )

Sheen
30-05-2021, 07:21 AM
Some random comments:
1. Cut outs enable everything to be within reach, but waste about a quarter of the work area. Its up to you.
2. It is quite useful to have the drawers separate and on casters. The bottoms need to be strong or they will give way due to the weight of steel tools and blocks.
3. The worktop needs a wooden barrier on three sides to prevent things falling off. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis some very useful pointers

Sheen
30-05-2021, 07:23 AM
Re mandrel holes I don't use them or have them.
( why am I up at 1.10 am at 7 deg c )

I don't think any of the jewellery teachers I follow have them either. Why were you up at 1.10am? Hee, hee. I was up at 2.00am listening to some tipsy folk banging on their door to be let in until someone shouted at them :D