PDA

View Full Version : Beadalon knotting..aaarghh!

Green Monster
28-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Ok this is a rarity a bloke admitting defeat! (

Went to Rock,Gem,Bead fair at Newark yesterday, the better haf fancied some beads to have a go at bracelets. I already had some never used Beadalon at home so thought why not.

Strung some on then tried to tie the knot as usggested on the Beadalon spool, but it slips undone, now I have managed to make a knot that held but it is a big brute of a knot and sticks out like a soar thumb.
Sooo....
How do you do nice neat knot that won't slip but is discreet?

p.s. using 0.5mm beadalon is this too thin too last with wear?

(at the fair, also picked up some large flattish oval turquoise beads, cut them in half along the length of the hole and voila, instant cabs, nice. i will be adding to the polish though.) Same would go for a lot the stone beads there.

cheers
G

Petal
28-09-2009, 03:05 PM
I always use crimp beads, never knot Beadalon, even though they say that you can. Crimps with crimp covers always look nicer and more professional with a crimp cover. hope that helps.

Di Sandland
28-09-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm a crimper too - never knotted beadalon. In fact the only thing I ever knot is elastic in bracelets

agent_44
28-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Can't imagine knotting beadalon, a vote for crimps from me too, with crimp covers :D

Di Sandland
28-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Can't imagine knotting beadalon, a vote for crimps from me too, with crimp covers :D

I've got a new magnifier and I can actually see to get the crimp covers on now!

agent_44
28-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Yay! I bet that helps Di :) I find them fiddly buggers at the best of times!

Emerald
28-09-2009, 04:38 PM
i must admit i dont knot Beadalon either but the fine stuff your are supposed to be able, have you tied pulling it with pliers to make the knot smaller.

Green Monster
28-09-2009, 04:48 PM
thanks for all the replies.
I ( rather, the girlfriend) wanted to avoid crimps to create the complete circle look for roll on bracelets.

I think pulling with pliers might damage the structure of the beadalon and cause a weak spot ( stand to be corrected on that), certainly with my clumsy hands I would crush the filament with the pliers! Perhaps the Ann's more delicate lady hands would manage it, we will see.

agent_44
28-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Sounds liek you shouldn't be using beadalon then, for that kind of braclet some kind of elastic would be better. I don't use it so I'm not much help in terms of what kind, lol, but I suspect someone else will be able to give you better advice :)

Emerald
28-09-2009, 05:02 PM
do you know what i think:wwopics:cos i cant quite imagine what you are doing

Green Monster
28-09-2009, 05:47 PM
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u199/kingbritish/bracelets280909beadalon.jpg

Bad shakey photo! Beadalon has some stretch so "neverending" roll on bracelets can be made, the knots cannot be seen in the piccies but they are obvious (to me at any rate) just wanted to make bracelets where the knot was discreet.

Ann likes the two bracelets either side of the Byzantine, gotta say it does work well.

Di Sandland
28-09-2009, 05:48 PM
For roll-on-roll-off bracelets you need beading elastic - I hate using it but sometimes its the only thing that works. And guess what - good old Cookies (http://www.cooksongold.com/category_select.jsp?prdsearch=y&category=search&desc=beading%20elastic) do it too.

I usually seal the knot with a pair of hot pliers because I don't trust it. Having said that, I've never heard of a problem in any of the bracelets I've made like that.

Green Monster
28-09-2009, 05:56 PM
For roll-on-roll-off bracelets you need beading elastic - I hate using it but sometimes its the only thing that works. And guess what - good old Cookies (http://www.cooksongold.com/category_select.jsp?prdsearch=y&category=search&desc=beading%20elastic) do it too.

I usually seal the knot with a pair of hot pliers because I don't trust it. Having said that, I've never heard of a problem in any of the bracelets I've made like that.

now theres an idea, a hot needle on the tips of the knot to melt it, I will experiment, nice one. Thanks

does the beading elastic produce discreet knots, I am fussy about them being seen?

Emerald
28-09-2009, 06:04 PM
that looks great but i would have used elastic but those beads do look heavy, can you not pull the ends of the knot with pliers? I always hide my knots inside a bead the metal ones you can make the whole bigger and push it in.

Di Sandland
28-09-2009, 06:10 PM
now theres an idea, a hot needle on the tips of the knot to melt it, I will experiment, nice one. Thanks

does the beading elastic produce discreet knots, I am fussy about them being seen?

Yeah the knots are discreet and if your holes are big enough you can hide them. I wouldn't let a piece out of here with indiscreet knots ;)

bustagasket
28-09-2009, 06:14 PM
i havent tried using crimps or anything yet (yet more to learn )

Green Monster
28-09-2009, 06:37 PM

The packaging (different name of course) and description are the same as Beadalon, what is the difference between the two?

agent_44
28-09-2009, 06:40 PM
It's stretchy, and more flexible, so better for knotting and claspless bracelets.

Emerald
28-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Beadalon is thin strips of wire threaded together and coated in nylon elasticity is elastic but very strong i would recommend using 3 lengths

Green Monster
28-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Oh hell, I am a git!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:#-o

What I have is elasticity!, it is made by ...wait for it....Beadalon hence me calling it beadalon. jeez what a prat! All my credibilty if I had any down the drain in one go..

So.....................
how do you stop your "Elasticty knots from sliping undone if you follow the example on the back of the spool,

pliers still, heating/melting? or is it just me being hamfisted.

You really would not believe how much of a dufus I feel at this moment. If I deregister from the site never to be seen again you will know why.

Di Sandland
28-09-2009, 07:02 PM
hello my friendly neighbourhood dufus. Right - if its elasticity you're using, hot pliers on the knot. Then use the point of your round nose or snipe nose pliers to push the knot into a beadhole

Green Monster
28-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks Di

problem solved.

Graeme

Please move along now, there's nothing to see.

bustagasket
28-09-2009, 07:09 PM
you really would not believe how much of a dufus i feel at this moment. If i deregister from the site never to be seen again you will know why.

dont you go anywhere mister!!!

agent_44
28-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Hehehe :D Well it's sorted now and tha is the main thing :)

I was wondering how the heck you were making claspless bracelets with normal Beadalon (which is twisted strands of Stainless Steel), especially when they were so snug on the wrist in the picture!

Green Monster
28-09-2009, 07:20 PM
I am sitting here now, imagining you all trying to knot twisted wire into a neat knot and then me agreeing it would be agood idea to melt it.
Really goes to show how one simple error can cause so much confusion, funnily enough that is what my mum said when I was born.... apparently.
Thank you all for your patience.

I think I'll hang around a bit longer, might lurk for a bit thouigh, lol

Emerald
28-09-2009, 07:29 PM
pmsl we have to keep taking the mick ya daft bugger, i knot it and then i make another knot and without pulling it tight push your end and through again then i dab with super glue and push it into a beads so you cant see the nasty big knot

Pandanimal
28-09-2009, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE=Green Monster;14726]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u199/kingbritish/bracelets280909beadalon.jpg

These are lovely stones. what are they?

Di Sandland
28-09-2009, 07:56 PM
the top ones look like fire agate. Not sure about the others tho

Vivia
10-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Hello all,

Just to revisit this topic... I tried the hot pliers on the knot solution today, and it broke the bracelet! I've tried not pressing as hard/ not pressing as long/not warming the pliers up so much, but the same things happens. :(|

Can anyone shed some light on what I'm doing wrong?

Gemma
10-11-2009, 07:11 PM
I use glue...or clear nail varnish if I can't find any glue :D

Di Sandland
10-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Fraid not, Vivia (pun intended ;))

All I can say is that I've used the technique many times. Just the slightest touch of the pliers is all that is needed.

Vivia
10-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Hahaha! Good one Di! Fraid not indeed...

Thanks Gemma, I'll try the glue method. Will normal glue do or does it have to be special stuff?

Gemma
10-11-2009, 09:17 PM
I'd recommend something quick drying! Thats why I often use nail varnish ;)