PDA

View Full Version : Gluing rubber cord

Sheen
12-03-2020, 09:50 AM
I want to glue some 3mm rubber cord into a circle, best glue for this? I'm thinking areldite. Yeay or nay :) ?

ps_bond
12-03-2020, 10:15 AM
Loctite do an adhesive specifically for nitrile O rings that's ideal.
Araldite doesn't really adhere well to rubber, nor does it flex.

Assuming I've parsed your sentence correctly, of course...

Dennis
12-03-2020, 10:15 AM
No glue I know of on its own will hold it for more than 30seconds, Sheena. You will need to use some 4.00mm (12-15mm long) tubing and glue it in, then crimp it or use two very thin rivets.
Even then, unless done very well it wont hold for long. You stand a better chance with elastic covered in fabric.
A good glue to use is G-S Hypo Cement, because it sets, flexible and is meant for this.

While I was writing this, Peter came up with an alternative solution, which you can browse herte:https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Loctite+adhesive+for+o-Rings Dennis.

ps_bond
12-03-2020, 11:10 AM
It's pretty incredible stuff - I was making up some odd-size large O rings a while ago and they're still in service.

china
12-03-2020, 11:30 AM
I have been using Henkel/Loctite 406 for years to make o rings, recently as temporary fix I made a large one to use as belt on my little drill press it has been going strong for months, it is constantly under tension
( the fun part is still to come accurately joining the urethane when it arrives )

Sheen
12-03-2020, 01:17 PM
This is exactly what I need, as i'm basically making a large o ring. Liked the amazon review that someone posted for it 'Makes broken things not so much.' :) thanks peter and china. Dennis your solution could be useful for other projects it would give a really modern look to a necklace.

Sheen
12-03-2020, 01:52 PM
My earring design at the moment, the glue I used 'zap' wasn't strong enough, loctite ordered and winging it's way.

Sheen
23-03-2020, 06:17 PM
Wow, just tried the loctite, it really sticks, no time for moving the bits about, and it's not coming apart again. I've got two differant designs to finish. Happy days

Dennis
23-03-2020, 08:51 PM
Ha, have you got several designs Sheena?

ps_bond
24-03-2020, 08:42 AM
Wow, just tried the loctite, it really sticks, no time for moving the bits about, and it's not coming apart again. I've got two differant designs to finish. Happy days

It doesn't muck about, does it?

Sheen
25-03-2020, 07:15 AM
It doesn't muck about, does it?

Probably the most fun I've had with glue in a long time. Maybe even better than crystal innovation's hi tack glue for crafting!

Sheen
25-03-2020, 07:17 AM
Ha, have you got several designs Sheena?

I have, hee hee. Just about to make my third :) will post the results in a couple of days ;)