PDA

View Full Version : Hi, can anyone make the Discworld silver horse necklace properly?

SophieHatter
09-03-2020, 08:08 PM
Hi, I'm not sure if I'm an impostor here, as I am not a jewellery maker (I do pots and knitting!) - so feel free to tell me to go away - but I am looking for someone who can make something very specific and a jeweller recommended that I try asking here.

I am looking for a pendant like the one in the Discworld novel "a hat full of sky", which is illustrated on the back cover thusly: 12353

I wondered if anyone here could make it properly, with the chains?

And also how much it would and should cost? It looks pretty simple but very fiddly!

It seems the Discworld Emporium sold nice ones 10 years ago, but the ones available now have the legs stuck together with solid struts instead of little chains that allow them to move, which spoils it. These are the nice old ones: 12354
Thanks,
Emma

CJ57
09-03-2020, 08:56 PM
Hi Emma
The first thing I would say is there is probably a registered trademark on these so it wouldn’t be advisable to do a straight copy. It’s a really nice form but not sure people want to do a replica of someone else’s design. Someone would possibly be willing to do their interpretation

Wallace
11-03-2020, 09:38 AM
It looks like the white horse at Uffington, (Now part of Oxford I believe), so might be part of the National Trusts copyrights?. However, the original artists were clearly over 100 year copyright timeframe.

CJ57
11-03-2020, 10:51 AM
It looks like the white horse at Uffington, (Now part of Oxford I believe), so might be part of the National Trusts copyrights?. However, the original artists were clearly over 100 year copyright timeframe.

She said it was from the Terry Pratchett Discworld books Wallace and retailing in their collection. It’s 1983-2015 so possibly still a very viable moneymaker for his estate given his demise

Wallace
11-03-2020, 12:33 PM
She said it was from the Terry Pratchett Discworld books Wallace and retailing in their collection. It’s 1983-2015 so possibly still a very viable moneymaker for his estate given his demise

Pratchett was a ‘local’. And so is the Uffington horse, from which I am guessing it was initially inspired. As it is not too dissimilar, it may be worth referencing the White horse for the design, to keep clear of Trademarked and copyright law.

CJ57
11-03-2020, 02:08 PM
I did say an interpretation of the original would be a possibility . Covers the personal ethics of copying someone else’s design in the first place which isn’t an uncommon request and the bigger question of copyright on a big brand

NickD
11-03-2020, 07:04 PM
I did say an interpretation of the original would be a possibility . Covers the personal ethics of copying someone else’s design in the first place which isn’t an uncommon request and the bigger question of copyright on a big brand

As far as I am aware the designer was a resident of the Bronze Age and most unlikely to express an opinion.

CJ57
11-03-2020, 08:24 PM
As far as I am aware the designer was a resident of the Bronze Age and most unlikely to express an opinion.

What, the designer of the Discworld franchise

ps_bond
11-03-2020, 09:07 PM
pTerry was an impressive (and fun) man in person, but I don't think he or anyone he knew was capable of time travel other than in the normal direction (i.e. one day at a time).

NickD
12-03-2020, 08:35 AM
What, the designer of the Discworld franchise
He was the copier not the designer

CJ57
12-03-2020, 10:41 AM
He was the copier not the designer

See Peter’s post above and I’ve nothing else to say now

josef1
12-03-2020, 09:00 PM
I made a CAD 'Uffington Unicorn' its like the horse but about 11% different it would be easier to hand make than CAD though

SophieHatter
14-03-2020, 07:09 PM
Er, that's a unicorn, not a horse!

SophieHatter
14-03-2020, 07:14 PM
Well, I used the online form on the book illustrator's website to ask if I could have permission for a jeweler to make me a one-off copy of the horse necklace for personal use. The illustrator's wife wrote back and said that they couldn't give permission as the copyright belonged to the Pratchett estate who were very strict with it, but that they'd been given one of really nice version of the necklace that the Discworld Emporium were selling 10 years ago and they that they didn't want to keep it, so they would be happy to sell it to me at a reasonable price.

Apparently they reckon the chain soldering might be a bit weak, which is why they stooped selling the nice ones and replaced the chains with solid rods; they said it might need checking by a jeweller. So I may be back here shortly for advice on that!

Dennis
14-03-2020, 08:05 PM
Thank you for your feedback. Caroline's advice vindicated. Dennis.