PDA

View Full Version : Jewellery Party

Kermit
28-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Hi All

I have been selling my jewellery at fairs, events, a couple of shops and via the web for quite a few years now, but I have never gone down the line of doing parties.

I have been asked if I will do a party in November by someone who has previously bought some of my stuff. I have said I'll do it but just wondering if anyone has any advice.

Do I need to do a bit of a 'talk' at the beginning? If so, how long for? I'm quite confident in selling my things, but its the dynamics of the party that I'm unsure of - how do I keep it moving along and upbeat?

Thanks in advance!:)

Jane

Ominicci
28-09-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm sure someone has posted this link beofre (as that's where I got it) but have a read until those who have done some already come along with some ideas;

Jewelry Home Parties (http://www.home-jewelry-business-success-tips.com/jewelry-home-parties.html)

Sheltie
28-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Sorry can't help you but also looking for the same kind of information. Thank you all

Ominicci
28-09-2009, 02:53 PM
I've posted a link, to a site that may help but it has to be approved by the Mods (not sure why as I got it from a thread on here,) but it is 'home-jewelry-business-success-tips' with www. at the beginning and .com at the end ;)

Petal
28-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Here's the thread you were looking for

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/how-market-my-jewellery/192-how-do-you-make-your-jewellery-party-swing.html?highlight=swing

good luck and let us know how you get on.

Sheltie
Thank you will have a good read

Ominicci
Ooh that was quick Mod !! You can delete these 2 posts if you want!

Di Sandland
28-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Dunno about that Nicky - the link you posted works for me. I'll repeat it here tho

jewellery parties (http://www.home-jewelry-business-success-tips.com/jewelry-home-parties.html)

Emerald
28-09-2009, 05:09 PM
i dont think i will be much help as i go along, there is usually wine and nibbles involved, i set up, now this is where you have to be careful either take your own table or see what they have go i ended up on a very large poufe the once, you need a couple of ideas how you want to set up before you go to cover all eventualitys and then let them browse and engage in conversation if they pick something up, tell them what its made of etc etc

SilverBlueberry
16-10-2009, 02:38 PM
I never really understood either how it works in practice. I always imagine myself sitting at my table with my jewelry and everybody else is talking to each other, and fully ignoring me. ;)

Solunar Silver Studio
16-10-2009, 05:31 PM
I haven't done many but I have a few under my belt and I think I can safely say that no 2 have been alike!!

I try to visit the hostess a few days before the event so that I can see where she wants me to set up. In that way you get an idea of the area for display and whether there is power easily available for lights. I also ask her what she expects from the party and what sort of people have been invited. Then you can sort of tailor it to her expectations.

At first I went with a mini talk in mind - you know - introducing myself and what I make and why etc. etc....but people never turn up on time and there is always a constant stream of latecommers which spoils the flow and you end up feeling a prat and pretentious.

As soon as women see jewellery anyway they want to get in there and have a look - so I now think the more casual set up is better...a sort of meet and greet...one to one or one to a small gathering as they are looking at your wares works best. And - in my experience - 'party' people are not all that interested in the details behind the jewellery. They are there to have a good time with their friends...and the booze tends to flow freely after they have had their first look...the jewellery tends to be just a sideline. It's not really the same as a "Craft Fayre" type of set up where the buyer goes specifically to buy something uniquely crafted and is interested in how it is made.

It's good to listen to them selling stuff to each other though...you know - sort of "What do you think of this"..."OOO nice, but I think this is more you"..."mmm but I'm not sure about the colour"..."should I get this or that?"... You just need to be there to sort of pick up the threads and finalise the sale!

You do need to get a good number attending though otherwise the dynamics just don't seem to work. I had one on Saturday where only 7 people out of the 15 invitees turned up and it went a bit flat fairly quickly. If I know there is going to be a small group and they are interested in jewellery making I have, in the past, taken some boards and pliers and some plated wires and mixed beads for them to have a go at making some earrings...that is good for a laugh and they have abit more respect for what you have created then! If you have talked to the hostess beforehand you might get an idea if this sort of thing would go down well with who she has invited.

Generally I think if you manage to keep their interest for 2 hours you have done extremely well... Everyone who wants to buy tends to buy all at the same time and then there is a lull with the odd returner. Mingle and chat and then make a graceful exit before it gets too lively!!:Y:

Don't take it too seriously...think 'party' more than 'sale'...and just hope that all those promises of "Ooo, I'll do a party for you!" survive the hangover....although I have found they rarely do! Have loads of 'Jewellery Party' leaflets and cards around (and personally give one to everybody) so that they can contact you later on....and if you can get them to give you their address or email you have some chance of following it up. I have found that it is hard though when their attention is distracted by chatting to their friends as they buy. It would probably work better if you have someone to go with you and share the selling activities.