PDA

View Full Version : Can I use my registered makers mark on copper and brass?

Milomade
20-02-2020, 03:50 PM
Hey all.

I know I could just phone the assay office and ask, but I hate using telephones and don't want to sound like a dumb ass, so thought I'd ask here first.

I registered with Edinburgh years ago and had a makers punch made - my initials in two separate circles.

What I'm wondering is, can I use this makers mark on pieces I make in copper and brass? I just want to stamp them with my makers mine to show I've made them, no other marks required.

I was thinking of asking the assay office to send me my punch. I get all my silver work lasered and about once every two years send in a big batch of ring shanks to get punched, so could send my punch in with that order when required.

I don't know if this makers mark punch is specific to precious metals or whether I can use it to mark any piece I make.

Thanks

Evie

CJ57
20-02-2020, 04:19 PM
It’s your mark Evie so you can use it just as a makers mark if you want. Mine is so small it’s not worth doing so

Milomade
21-02-2020, 08:57 AM
Yeah mine is quite tiny, so maybe I get a new one made. Cam't remember how much the assay office charge to make a punch these days. Maybe it'd be cheaper to get it made elsewhere. Any ideas?

CJ57
21-02-2020, 10:01 AM
I had to have a new punch made a while back from the assay office and they were looking for new suppliers. I have to say it’s pretty rough in comparison to my original one. A brand punch would be ideal for what you want but no idea where you’d get one

Dennis
21-02-2020, 11:06 AM
Yeah mine is quite tiny, so maybe I get a new one made. Cam't remember how much the assay office charge to make a punch these days. Maybe it'd be cheaper to get it made elsewhere. Any ideas?

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=custom+logo+punch+for+jewellers Dennis.

china
21-02-2020, 01:07 PM
Just to give you an idea of cost I am having one made at Birmingham 80GBP

Milomade
21-02-2020, 04:00 PM
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=custom+logo+punch+for+jewellers Dennis.

Cool - ta very much - will check that out. I've got a commission from a whisky distillery for a load of copper pieces and would really like to put my makers mark on the finished items, so hopefully I can find somewhere I can get my makers mark made slightly bigger and cheaper than the assay office.