PDA

View Full Version : Signing work=makers mark=sponsors mark?

Pickwick
04-02-2020, 11:23 AM
Hi,

New to jewellery making and wondering how to sign my work, or identify it as my work? Would that be done with a makers mark issued by an assay office? I’ve also seen sponsors marks mentioned, is that the same as makers mark?

Thanks X.

china
04-02-2020, 12:35 PM
You don't say where on this planet you are, various codes apply in various places, yes a makers mark is how most do it, in Australia it is up to the individual Jeweller/Maker to mark their items. ( I have never heard of a sponsors mark )
I believe in the UK you can apply your own makers mark or have it done by an Assay office, (I'm sure some locals will either confirm or tell me I'm wrong) can be by the use of a punch or these day some have it done by LASER, personally I prefer a punch.
Punch is expensive but will pretty much see you out.

CJ57
04-02-2020, 01:07 PM
The sponsor’s mark and maker’s mark are the same thing. The former is used by the assay office as I’ve just had to re register mine.
Do you want to mark everything even underweight items?
You can use your punch registered at the assay office or you could have a bespoke punch made for branding only. It wouldn’t be valid for assay as their punches are pretty limited and more functional than artistic

china
04-02-2020, 01:54 PM
I am having a replacement makers mark punch made at Birmingham ( at great expense ) can't get what I want down here
I have about 15 Hall mark punches close on $1000 worth

Pickwick
04-02-2020, 02:04 PM
I’m in the UK. Yes I was wondering how to sign my work including underweight.

Dennis
04-02-2020, 02:34 PM
If it does not need to be hallmarked, you can also use a vibrating engraver and sign it that way. They are relatively inexpensive and you can write whatever you want. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=electric+vibrating+engraver. Dennis

CJ57
04-02-2020, 02:36 PM
I’m in the UK. Yes I was wondering how to sign my work including underweight.

It’s not a requirement just a personal choice. Not sure many of us do it so choose from the suggestions I made above. I mostly have everything hallmarked even if underweight and I have a batch going in. I haven’t bothered marking otherwise.
Either have everything hallmarked
Or use either your registered sponsors mark or a punch custom made for underweight items.

china
04-02-2020, 02:48 PM
Ok enlighten me if you have a makers mark over there do you have to register it

CJ57
04-02-2020, 04:10 PM
I think I’ve just said that but yes £72 to register plus the cost of the punch or as I am re registering at a cost of £36. I don’t know what the charges or rules are at any other office but Edinburgh

Pickwick
04-02-2020, 04:42 PM
I’m not sure i’d trust myself with a vibrating engraver, could look a bit wobbly. I’ll look into getting a makers mark registered. Thanks X.

pearlescence
04-02-2020, 05:45 PM
It is expensive to have a registered mark but it is also rather nice to know that the mark is unique to you. No-one before or since can have those letters in that shape. Records are kept electronically now but many years ago I registered mine in person at Goldsmiths hall and it was entered in an impressive parchment leather book (or something equally impressive..long time ago!)

china
05-02-2020, 03:26 AM
Caroline, I should have made myself clear, I was interested weather or not you had the option to register or still have the mark and not register, thanks for clearing it up
re the parchment book a bit like when I purchased my house ( built in the seventies ) I received a large parchment title all written with calligraphy, then I changed it to my name and they took the original, and replaced it with a A4 item from a printer
now they have done away all together with hard copies and it is all on computer. (Scary)

pearlescence
05-02-2020, 10:32 AM
Yes, the old paper -or even older parchment - house demises were impressive . The ones for my grandmother's house in Salisbury went back 500 years. My house is unregistered so I have my bundle. But, provided the computer record is secure it is much better. Solicitors used to have regular nightmares about bundles getting lost as they whizzed around during the sale process. Reconstructing a bundle was an expensive nightmare. Storage by mortgage companies or lawyers took up space, time, money