PDA

View Full Version : Bringsty Art Studio Courses - Jewellery making

Petal
27-09-2009, 07:58 AM
Hi All, :~:

I'm still researching jewellery making courses and found this one:-

Jewllery (http://www.silversmithingcourses.co.uk/jewll.htm).

Have any of you been on couses here before? What do you think of it??

:feedback:

Cheers

Di Sandland
27-09-2009, 08:36 AM
I don't know of them, Jules, but it looks good to me. He looks a little stern maybe - but who can tell from a pic! My woodturning tutor was incredibly stern but he taught me well. Basically I succeeded out of bloody-mindedness of the 'I'll show him' variety!

Petal
27-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Hi Di,
Stern I don't mind, because you learn. Useless teacher I do. ummm I think I'll will wait to see if others have been on any courses, but will prob. go for it.

thanks for that...
outside for some gardening, see you later
thanks xxx

mizgeorge
28-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Ian and Sue will roll around on the floor when I tell him he looks stern!!!

They are just the nicest people you could ever wish to meet, and Sue lays on some fantastic lunch too.

I had a weekend at Bringsty earlier this (the only course I've ever been on, so I can't compare to anywhere else), and loved it. The workshop is fab, Ian's a superb silversmith, and teaches so well. You work on whatever you want to, and learn from both what you're doing, and from the pieces being made by others in the group.

I was due to be going again this coming weekend, but had to cancel because of this stupid wrist, but I'll definitely go back in the New Year.

Can't recommend it highly enough - Jules, feel free to PM me if you want any specific info :)

Di Sandland
28-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Oooh, don't embarrass me by telling them, George. I might just want to go there and I'll never live it down!

lesley
28-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Where is it - Herefordshire?

Petal
28-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Yes, its Herefordshire, which is not too far from me. I'm really excited now and will definitely be booking a course!! yipee George - you've made my day :D

Perhaps there'll be a group booking????

Di Sandland
28-09-2009, 01:00 PM
I couldn't manage that until the new year but I'm up for it then

Petal
28-09-2009, 01:02 PM
ooooh, the New Year... can I wait till then??? How about George coming too????? the more the merrier!

Petal
28-09-2009, 01:09 PM
This link gives more info and dates.

Jewellery and Silversmithing at Bringsty Arts Studio - Creative Breaks in Hereford (http://www.creativebreaks.co.uk/members/index.asp?memberID=3)

I was thinking of doing the six week half day one... but could change my plans if others wish to join me??

Having said that, if others prefer to do a separate, more advanced, course, rather than a 'joint' thing, then that's fine by me. As I'm a total beginner in 'silversmithing' I might get in the way ? (if you know what I mean?).
x

mizgeorge
28-09-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm definitely planning to do a weekend course sometime in the New Year - probably early spring. I'd love to have company! There's a fantastic inn/restaurant just down the road too.....

Di Sandland
28-09-2009, 02:23 PM
well - I'm a total beginner at silversmithing but I'd love to learn in company; so count me in girls

Petal
28-09-2009, 02:36 PM
I'll find out what the dates are for early next year and see if we can reserve our spaces??

Di Sandland
28-09-2009, 02:36 PM
go for it JUles

snow_imp
28-09-2009, 02:37 PM
I'd like to join in, but its possibly a bit far for me to travel - 200+ miles according to multimap. Budget probably won't stretch to accommodation.

I'll just have to slowly turn green when I hear how you do.

Solunar Silver Studio
28-09-2009, 03:00 PM
It's not quite that far Anne... I used to live in Kettering and I'm not that far away from you even up here in Cheshire!! It's about 100 miles...still a rather long way to commute I know...but have a look here anyway! Route from WR6 5UJ to rushden (http://www.multimap.com/directions/?mode=driving&qs_2=rushden&lon_1=-2.42983&displayName_2=rushden&lon_2=-0.59728&lat_1=52.19508&lat_2=52.28906&countryCode_2=GB&countryCode_1=GB&optimizeFor=time&qs_1=WR6%205UJ&displayName_1=WR6%205UJ)

snow_imp
28-09-2009, 03:05 PM
It's not quite that far Anne... I used to live in Kettering and I'm not that far away from you even up here in Cheshire!! It's about 100 miles...still a rather long way to commute I know...but have a look here anyway! Route from WR6 5UJ to rushden (http://www.multimap.com/directions/?mode=driving&qs_2=rushden&lon_1=-2.42983&displayName_2=rushden&lon_2=-0.59728&lat_1=52.19508&lat_2=52.28906&countryCode_2=GB&countryCode_1=GB&optimizeFor=time&qs_1=WR6%205UJ&displayName_1=WR6%205UJ)

LOL, now I know why I thought it was longer - the first part of the route on multimap involves a dirt track wide enough for a bike but not a car - and completely ignoring the really nice new road that connects to the A6 near my house.

I have done a slightly longer journey there and back in a day - but not with a class in the middle I must admit.

I need to start making plans I think. And saving of course.

lorraineflee
28-09-2009, 05:39 PM
I'd like to join in, but its possibly a bit far for me to travel - 200+ miles according to multimap. Budget probably won't stretch to accommodation.

I'll just have to slowly turn green when I hear how you do.
Depending on when it is, (I'm going to be out of action for a couple of months from 20th October 'cos I'm being brave and getting my hip replaced) I could be interested and would be happy to drive us both on a one day course!

Lorraine

CDW Designs
28-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Hi All, :~:

I'm still researching jewellery making courses and found this one:-

Jewllery (http://www.silversmithingcourses.co.uk/jewll.htm).

Have any of you been on couses here before? What do you think of it??

:feedback:

Cheers

Hi Petal
I looked at this one last year but it is not in my area but at the time it looked good. It says |£75 a day which I think is reasonable. Go for it and then tell us all about it.
:Y:

Petal
28-09-2009, 07:08 PM
I've been having a PM conversation with George about this course and she knows the guys running the course. She did say, knowing the type of things that I want to learn, that I should bear in mind that Ian is a silversmith rather than a jeweller though - and doesn't cover anything like wrapping or wirework, which I want to improve.

So, for those of you who are thinking of going on the course they should go to their website and find out what they want to gain from the course, before deciding on whether to attend, or not.

Hope that helps :)

must go, dinners ready (or nearly burnt!).

snow_imp
29-09-2009, 07:42 AM
Depending on when it is, (I'm going to be out of action for a couple of months from 20th October 'cos I'm being brave and getting my hip replaced) I could be interested and would be happy to drive us both on a one day course!

Lorraine

Thanks Lorraine, but I'm thinking it will have to wait until late next year before I tackle another course, even at a reasonable price of £75.

I've done a silversmithing course before, it's how I ended up meeting Cookies and learning to love them sooo much. I'd really like to learn more about so many things now. PMC is the latest in a long list of items I'd like to learn about.

EmmaRose
29-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Us Northants/ Bucks girls will just have to have our own meeting instead! have a play day :D
Em

snow_imp
29-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Us Northants/ Bucks girls will just have to have our own meeting instead! have a play day :D
Em

Sounds good to me - I'm sure I can pick up loads of hints/tips from you all :~: