PDA

View Full Version : Todays the day!

bustagasket
27-09-2009, 04:18 AM
Well thats me all scrubbed and dressed ready to leave to go up to nics for the day. Soooo looking forward to it (well not the drive part) I have got me bar and me soup lol and me note pad and pen. And I just remembered to go and get me glasses, that would have been fun without them lol.

Just need to find some more change for the tunnel, or i will just take another £1 coin.

Aiming to leave at 6.30am, just had a nice hot drink and i will have my shake in a bit.

So according to when i get home, i will either pop on or it will have to wait til tomorrow.

Have a good day everyone, cos i know i will.:Y:[[]][[]]

Solunar Silver Studio
27-09-2009, 05:41 AM
I've probably just missed you - but if not....Have loads of fun!!:Y:. Tell us all about it when you come back...as if you need to be told!!!:rofl:

caroleallen
27-09-2009, 07:03 AM
Have a great day Su. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Rustic Charm
27-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Have a great day! i've gotta wait till January for my turn! x

lorraineflee
27-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Hope you have a brilliant day!

Lorraine

The Dragon
27-09-2009, 11:59 AM
I know you're going to have a fab day, please take lots of notes (so we can pick your brains later), lots of pictures of your pieces (so we can drool) and hopefully you'll get something made that can come off you're 'To Do' List

You'll have to excuse me now, I need to find a nice quiet corner where I can turn green in peace.<3<3

MuranoSilver
27-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Su's just left so she won't get home until nearly the witching hour
I had so much fun teaching the troops, but didn't get chance for pictures (doh!)
Hopefully folks will pop in and show off their makings soon :)

We covered lots of silver clay stuff, plus took a whizz round fusing fine silver and
adding enamels :Y:
Nic xx

Lisa Quinn
27-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Crikey, you must all be exhausted!
Bridget, we will have to take loads of energy snacks to make sure that we make it through the day in January! I haven't done any silver clay, fusing or enamelling before, so really looking forward to it.

Hope you had a fantastic time Su and aren't too tired .

Lisa xx

bustagasket
28-09-2009, 06:05 AM
What a fantastic day, my head is still spinning and even tho it was a long drive and i was shattered I couldnt switch off when i got home lol.

If any of you get the chance to go to Nics for god sake do it!

To learn stuff with an incredibly patient teacher, who is willing to explain everything in laymens terms and whats more go out of their way to show you stuff thats not even on the agenda, in a beautiful cottage with a cat full of character, is worth any travelling distance, and their weight in gold.

I came home with my goody bag as did everyone and saw so many wonderful tools that are firmly on my wish list.

I will take photos of what i made but you know how crap mine are so you will have to bear with me.

anyway i will stop waffling, but thank you Nic once again from the bottom of my heart, you are one in a million. [[]]

Solunar Silver Studio
28-09-2009, 06:19 AM
Good to hear you had such a great day! Which bits did you enjoy the most? Are you a confirmed PMC disciple, a fuser or a budding enamel artist?? I'm sure a lot of us were jealous of you yesterday and we are all looking forward to reading your usual bubbly and enthusiastic feedback on events!!:Y:

bustagasket
28-09-2009, 06:27 AM
I would very much like to have some more practice with pmc, but i am not mad about firing it anywhere other than in a kiln so it make have to wait. fine silver is lovely to work with (i have a little ring to prove it) and i didnt actually do enamelling i only watched that one as lucy did her pendant, but it fascinated me and i wanna make that (insert work that i just cant say no matter how much i try, but starts with "Dia") glass. lol

I saw so much wonderful equipment and Nics so lovely, you can use it all, i fell in love with her pendant drill, used those rubber polishing wheel things that everyones been raving about (and which i will do now lol) and i used the poshest look hammers i have ever seen, and nice and petite which suited me to the ground. We saw gizmos that made us gaupe, and the dinkiest little tripod and.....and........and........... oh god it was all quite unreal!

Solunar Silver Studio
28-09-2009, 07:09 AM
OK...well I'm not getting any less jealous!! I really miss not handling 'real' tools...not that they had much for jewellery at college but they had considerably more than my motley, second hand collection! It's great of Nic to let you play with it all!!:Y:

Is it dichroic glass you are raving about...pretty, isn't it? Pretty expensive as well I believe!! But a perfect addition to something as gobsmacking as 'the mighty Thoth'!! One day, ay, Su'....one day!!...

We can but dream!!:'(:-D

caroleallen
28-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Aww, glad you had a good time. I remember being that excited when I first started - great isn't it! It's lovely as well to teach students with so much enthusiasm. Can't wait to see your work. Are you able to cross anything off your pressie list?

amazingbabe
28-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Aw that is brill Su, it sounds so exciting, i can't really explain what shade of green i am at the moment :D

agent_44
28-09-2009, 08:38 AM
I was ay Nic's yesterday too, twas a fab day and I have learned a good few key things which may prevent me having more metal clay disasters :) It was great to meet forum peeps too. There we so many things Nic was able to show us I think we could have done with a few more days!

I'm catching up with work after being off for a week now (boo :() but when I have the chance I will get some pictures of what I made yesterday

Kalorlo
28-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Woo, sounds like it was great! I look forward to piccies :Y:

amazingbabe
28-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Oh you lucky thing xx Looking forward to those pics too Lucinda xx :):camera:

bustagasket
28-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Oh you lucky thing xx Looking forward to those pics too Lucinda xx :):camera:

You are gonna love her pendant :D

Emerald
28-09-2009, 10:06 AM
You are gonna love her pendant :D

Sounds like you both had a great day and a good advert for Nic's classes lol, now dose anyone want to come on a jewellery class in my garage oops i mean workshop:~:

bustagasket
28-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Sounds like you both had a great day and a good advert for Nic's classes lol, now dose anyone want to come on a jewellery class in my garage oops i mean workshop:~:

move a little closer :P

Ominicci
28-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Sound like you all had a fabb time ... and you did remember to take people pictures as well as of the stuff you made didn't you Su?!

bustagasket
28-09-2009, 02:52 PM
ermmmmmmmm................welll.................er m........ i was kinda engrossed in the stuff............and..............well............ ..oopsie :'(

agent_44
28-09-2009, 02:55 PM
OK here are the bits I came up with yesterday. I put faar to much enamel on the pendant I think, as it swamps the lovely texture a bit.

The other two bits were moulded from buttons and I am going to solder some earwires on and oxidise/polish to bring out the design.

I seemed to be a bit less prodictive than everyone else, but I think I managed to use as much clay - that pendant is chunky!

I definitely want to do some more with the enamels, it's been on my list for ages, I think it might be getting more priority now, lol!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2582/3962123513_99063a28d1.jpg

Su, are you going to get a picture of your stuff? :D

bustagasket
28-09-2009, 03:02 PM

When I get home from work i will attempt to photograph them, and i only did the one main piece too remember.

agent_44
28-09-2009, 03:05 PM
I thought you did more?! I have the memory of a 90 year old!

MuranoSilver
28-09-2009, 03:20 PM
OK here are the bits I came up with yesterday. I put faar to much enamel on the pendant I think, as it swamps the lovely texture a bit.

The other two bits were moulded from buttons and I am going to solder some earwires on and oxidise/polish to bring out the design.

I seemed to be a bit less prodictive than everyone else, but I think I managed to use as much clay - that pendant is chunky!

I definitely want to do some more with the enamels, it's been on my list for ages, I think it might be getting more priority now, lol!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2582/3962123513_99063a28d1.jpg

Oooh great picture :)
You can stone back the enamel (grind it flatter) then take it back up to 850 for a minute or two to gloss the surface and you'll be able to see through it better. Superb piece though much, much better in real life!
Nic x

agent_44
28-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Oh that sounds like a plan Nic, thanks :)

Can I use wet & dry paper for that (never done anythign like that with glass) or will I need something a bit tougher?

bustagasket
28-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Oooh great picture :)
You can stone back the enamel (grind it flatter) then take it back up to 850 for a minute or two to gloss the surface and you'll be able to see through it better. Superb piece though much, much better in real life!
Nic x

I second that - it looked fabulous :D

agent_44
28-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Thank yo both :D, you shall make me blush!

MuranoSilver
28-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Oh that sounds like a plan Nic, thanks :)

Can I use wet & dry paper for that (never done anything like that with glass) or will I need something a bit tougher?

There are a few things you can use cooksons have them in their enamelling section:Y:,
Carborundum stones, (designed to grind the glaze off). You use it under running water various shapes and grits about £10 a stone (they seemingly last forever :Y:)

Alundum Stones, similar to above (cheaper option) comes in three grits
Coarse Medium & fine each costing about a fiver.

Diagrit. These are sanding meshes with a sticky back. Glue em to a block of wood or whatever you prefer to use to grind off the glass.They come in loads of different grits and are about ££7 each grade

Nic x

agent_44
28-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Thanks Nic. It just so happens I was perusing Cookson's enamelling section and had spotted those :)

Jinks McGrath says wet & dry works in one of her books but on second thoughts it'll be a lot easier with a block!

I'm thinking I might make use of the freepost event to order some supplies in, which will make 3 orders in 4 days, oops! :D I think Cookson's should have you on commision Nic ;)

fi79
28-09-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm glad you both had such a great time!! I was BUZZING when I came back from my first PMC class! My OH said he had never seen me so excited about anything in the 6 years I've known him. It's such an amazing feeling knowing you've done something so cool!! Careful- it's addictive - I've done three classes with my tutor now and I'm booked on for a fourth - OBSESSED!!!

Ominicci
28-09-2009, 05:20 PM
ermmmmmmmm................welll.................er m........ i was kinda engrossed in the stuff............and..............well............ ..oopsie :'(

SU!!!!

Actually I blame Nic too as she should have taken pics for blog/website to promote the courses LOL

agent_44
28-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Hehe, I'm sure I woudl have ruined the photos, I would have been sat there blowing my nose like a human foghorn in every one of them!!

bustagasket
28-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Hehe, I'm sure I woudl have ruined the photos, I would have been sat there blowing my nose like a human foghorn in every one of them!!

whilst we ate our cranberry bars surrounded by roast dinners and chilis lmao.. We were soooo good lol, but it wouls have made a great photo lol

agent_44
28-09-2009, 07:13 PM
whilst we ate our cranberry bars surrounded by roast dinners and chilis lmao.. We were soooo good lol, but it wouls have made a great photo lol

Haha yeah I forgot about that. The food looked goooood too!