PDA

View Full Version : Vibrations in fingers from hand tools

Sage
10-12-2019, 04:11 PM
Hello, I hope this is the right place to pose my question.

I do a lot of metal polishing with a dremel and radial wheels, and I find that my fingers are starting to get tingly. I'm concerned about getting Vibration white finger, but not sure what to do to prevent it. So I was wondering what other people do. The pieces are small and flat (1.5cm to about 5cm diameter max) so I need to hold them to polish.

I'd love to hear any advice or what you do to prevent this.

Many thanks in advance for any replies:)

Dennis
10-12-2019, 09:07 PM
Possible that you are getting a sensitivity to base metals (test by taping the metal to your inner arm over night. does it leave a red patch ?)

If not, then get a smoother motor, such a an inexpensive Marathon micromotor or use jewellers self adhesive finger tape for protection. Dennis.

CJ57
10-12-2019, 09:28 PM
Hello, I hope this is the right place to pose my question.

I do a lot of metal polishing with a dremel and radial wheels, and I find that my fingers are starting to get tingly. I'm concerned about getting Vibration white finger, but not sure what to do to prevent it. So I was wondering what other people do. The pieces are small and flat (1.5cm to about 5cm diameter max) so I need to hold them to polish.

I'd love to hear any advice or what you do to prevent this.

Many thanks in advance for any replies:)

I bough5 a Dremel with a view to using it for stone setting and I couldn't stand the noise or vibration. It may be that the vibration is too much for extended use. I actually found it quite heavy to grip and it may be vibrating on nerves or something says Dr Caroline but you know what I’m getting at

china
11-12-2019, 02:51 AM
Could be the beginning of Carpel Tunnel syndrome, may want to have a nerve conduction test

ps_bond
11-12-2019, 08:25 AM
Either way, ask a doctor.

Esk
27-12-2019, 01:40 PM
As others have said, make sure with a doctor it's not anything serious.

I was just wondering if you've tried clamping the dremel in place and moving the pieces along the wheels and bobs as you would with a polishing motor? You might be affected less by the vibration that way. Just a thought.

Susie
29-12-2019, 07:08 PM
I found this too when using my Dremel. When I switched to the Marathon 3 micrometer, there is no vibration.
So, why don't you try a different drill?