PDA

View Full Version : Which Work Bench is Best....?

deathruddles
10-12-2019, 01:10 PM
HI Everyone,

I guess it's a highly subjective question... But, which commercially available bench is best for Jewellery making and setting?

I've spent a while on the kitchen table and now the tool collection (and the damage to the table) has forced me out of the kitchen and off the table!

I want to invest in a decent bench so i started looking at Cookson, walsh Cousins ect...

I want a table that will be good for general soldering, making, forming ect but also setting with a gravermax and microscope.

I started looking at the superior durston table and the Italian ones on Cousins, anyone got any views?

Cheers
Nick

deathruddles
13-12-2019, 12:24 PM
Slight update on this, I've seen on Cousins they have a separate bench type for stone setters...
To me, it's doesn't look very different from the "normal" benches.

Does anyone know if "normal" benches can support microscope, gravermax and normal jewellery construction?

CJ57
13-12-2019, 01:14 PM
I’m not sure there is such a thing as a normal bench. Many of us have self builds suited or often not to all our needs! I bought a bespoke bench recently which I didn’t like. Too high, didn’t like the tray drawer for lemel etc and I sold it on. It wasn’t the sort of bench I’d trained on but is obviously the sort that some use. I had started with an old office desk with a half circle cut out for the benchskin many years ago.
If possible then have a bench made to suit your needs and height that’s comfortable to work at but will probably never have enough room if like me you spread out and continue to buy more stuff!

china
13-12-2019, 01:32 PM
I built my own, easy for me as I am a Cabinet Maker by trade, I don't like the one bench for everything concept, e.g a separate bench for heavy work and a separate bench for soldering and melting metals, I do understand that you may have to compromise due to space restrictions I would attempt to visit some retailers in person so you can sit at the bench to appraise it, or as Caroline said have one made to suit.

Dennis
13-12-2019, 01:32 PM
Some essentials:
It should:
Be rigid and stable, preferably screwed to the wall.
Have an up stand at the back and around the sides, because items wander and fall off.
Have a skin, or drawer, to catch lemel and fallen items.
Have protective flooring against hot dropped objects and stains from liquids.

A cut out is traditional and convenient when working, but does use up a large proportion of your work surface.

Even if building one yourself, it is well worth visiting a showroom as Caroline suggests, for a close inspection. Walsh Hatton Garden is good if you are in the south. Dennis.

deathruddles
13-12-2019, 02:18 PM
Hi all,

Many thanks for your replies!

It would seem as i feared, there is no perfect bench...

I would love to make my own bench, which i tried too a while ago, but i discovered... I'm terrible with wood.

Unfortunately, space is an issue. I have room for one bench.

Out of interest, has anyone used one of those durston benches?

Cheers again
Nick

ps_bond
13-12-2019, 02:56 PM
Setting benches are often slightly different - the ones I've seen are more ergonomic for scope work, while being little to no use for general bench work.
I use a scope with my bench; I need to use a drop plate with the GRS kit to get the clearance under the scope though. I believe the newer Benchmates are supposed to get around that issue by being more height adjustable than the older one.

deathruddles
13-12-2019, 04:00 PM
Hi Peter,

Do you use a benchmate in place of a ball vise?

CJ57
13-12-2019, 06:13 PM
You might find this useful
https://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102&highlight=Workshops

ps_bond
13-12-2019, 06:20 PM
For setting, I usually use a GRS microblock. Just been using one to hold some 1/2" round to carve a new touchmark, but I really ought to have used the big vice.

china
14-12-2019, 12:12 PM
I second the use of a microblock the six rings I have just finished all with the microblock. I do have a bench mate but the clamp is faulty and I put it aside and have not got around to buying a new part, however a ring
that is a work in progress maybe better on the benchmate, all I have to do is get them to answer my emails

deathruddles
16-12-2019, 09:24 AM
Hi China, Peter,

I have a microblock, managed to get some fairly reasonable pave examples setting CZs into copper with hand gravers.
However, looking at the vids on youtube, i'd really like to try the air gravers and a microscope!

Would i have trouble using a microblock, graver and microscope on a standard jewellery bench?

As always! Very much appreciate the replies!

Cheers
Nick

deathruddles
16-12-2019, 09:26 AM
You might find this useful
https://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102&highlight=Workshops

Hi Caroline,

I did look through this, not every post mind! Quite a few to catch up on.
Is there any in there with the dual setup i'm after?

Many thanks
Nick

ps_bond
16-12-2019, 09:33 AM
Given I've got a GRS dovetail on my bench, I use the GRS block shelf to drop the microblock to a suitable level to be able to use the scope. My chair has to be adjusted higher for that too - the working height for the scope is way higher than I use the bench pin.
Ergonomics are vital (says me with bruising under my eyes from leaning on the scope for too long...).

CJ57
16-12-2019, 01:05 PM
Hi Caroline,

I did look through this, not every post mind! Quite a few to catch up on.
Is there any in there with the dual setup i'm after?

Many thanks
Nick

Most of us are solitary workers so probably not Nick. This comes back to building what is right for your needs and space available

deathruddles
16-12-2019, 02:03 PM
Given I've got a GRS dovetail on my bench, I use the GRS block shelf to drop the microblock to a suitable level to be able to use the scope. My chair has to be adjusted higher for that too - the working height for the scope is way higher than I use the bench pin.
Ergonomics are vital (says me with bruising under my eyes from leaning on the scope for too long...).

Hi Peter,

Have you got a picture of your setup when you're using the microblock?
This is exactly what i would like to do, but i can't quite picture the block shelf and it's integration with the bench...

Cheers
Nick

china
17-12-2019, 03:03 AM
I am pretty sure this is what peter has, https://www.grs.com/product/004-578-block-shelf-standard-block-shelf/ and if you really want to get fancy you ca add this https://www.grs.com/product/slide-lock-mini/

deathruddles
17-12-2019, 08:16 AM
I am pretty sure this is what peter has, https://www.grs.com/product/004-578-block-shelf-standard-block-shelf/ and if you really want to get fancy you ca add this https://www.grs.com/product/slide-lock-mini/

I see, so it screws into where the bench peg would normally go.

ps_bond
17-12-2019, 09:03 AM
It fits the GRS dovetail, so you lift off the benchpeg and hang that in place. Quick & easy to switch between the peg, Benchmate and shelf. And the soldering station too.