PDA

View Full Version : Hallmark con

caroleallen
26-09-2009, 02:23 PM
I was at my sister's today and she showed me some jewellery she had bought in a local jewellery shop where the owner says she designs all her own jewellery and has it made in Mexico. I was doubting whether she actually designs it as it looks like a lot of other imported jewellery I've seen. When I looked at the "hallmark" with a magnifying glass, it consisted of three punch marks which looked like hallmarks with the naked eye. I think it's better not to do anything than pretend it's hallmarked. Very naughty.

Di Sandland
26-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Isn't that a bit more than naughty, Carole. Like - isn't it fraud and, therefore, illegal?

caroleallen
26-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Mmm, it is illegal but my sister's had her jewellery for a while and I couldn't be sure the jeweller is still doing that, or if it was a one-off. Unless I went into the shop with a magnifying glass, I'd be afraid of getting it wrong. I don't think my sister wants to take it further as the jeweller is in her small seaside village and she doesn't want to make waves!

Emerald
26-09-2009, 02:36 PM
i would think so Di, someone i new tried to tell she was making and selling jewellery when she move to shanghai but when she showed me pictures it wasent anything i hadent seen on Ebay.

I cant believe your sister buys silver other than yours Carole big slap on the wrist x

Emerald
26-09-2009, 02:37 PM
seaside village - make waves nice one Carole lol

Di Sandland
26-09-2009, 02:40 PM
seaside village - make waves nice one Carole lol

Brilliant!

Petal
26-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Isn't that a bit more than naughty, Carole. Like - isn't it fraud and, therefore, illegal?

Hi Di,
Yes it is very illegal and Trading Standards would not only take them to the cleaners, they'd fine them a lot too! They do spot checks all the time and not only go for stallholders, but shops too.

Carole - Very funny, the quip about making waves haha

Its the way you tell 'em!

agent_44
26-09-2009, 03:30 PM
How very, very dodgy! Also very unfair competition against honest people. I really do hope they get found out one way or another!

geti-titanium
26-09-2009, 06:06 PM
When I looked at the "hallmark" with a magnifying glass, it consisted of three punch marks which looked like hallmarks with the naked eye

Was the shop owner actually claiming it to be hallmarked silver? - I'm not clear on that bit, everyone is assuming that so far I think.

If it has a makers stamp and sold as precious white metal, then I don't believe that is illegal. ( I may be wrong)

caroleallen
26-09-2009, 06:41 PM
I don't know really but to mark something with a fake hallmark is surely a bit dodgy.

geti-titanium
26-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Yes fake hallmarks are illegal - what does it look like under a loupe?

caroleallen
26-09-2009, 07:57 PM
It's basically just three dents.

geti-titanium
26-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Then as far as I can see, unless somebody claims it's a hallmark, it's just 3 dents.