PDA

View Full Version : How to make something like this?

callambx
26-11-2019, 09:10 AM
Hi all,

This is my first forum post! I am new to the jewellery making thing, and I love it! I have seen a ring I would like to make something similar but am unsure about how to proceed. Hoping you could advise :)

I have a slightly different design but it is theoretically the same concept, ring with cut out pattern. So what I am asking is, how is this sort of thing made?

Thank you

Callum

ps_bond
26-11-2019, 09:18 AM
I would probably scribe the design onto a length of flat sheet, bend up the ring, drill it to thread sawblades through and then pierce it, finishing the holes by filing. Alternatively, make up a flat ring then draw the design onto it & continue. I'd prefer not to pierce it flat as it would be more of a faff to align and solder.

Now... Which bits need more detail? :)

Dennis
26-11-2019, 09:37 AM
Draw it out carefully as a flat strip on graph paper, which helps to keep it accurate.
The diameter will be taken from measuring your ring stick with callipers.
The length (the cicumference) will be taken from the formula 3.14(pi) x (diameter+thickness of metal used)

Having drawn the strip, paste it onto some metal about 1.00mm thick, using a Pritt stick. When dry, drill it and pierce it using a fine blade.
Take off the paper under warm water, tidy with files, bend up and solder. When drawing it you will have decided where best to make your join.

Ideally, for accuracy, you will end up with the ring about half a size too small and stretch it to size. If you have access to a ring stretcher that would be ideal. Dennis.

callambx
26-11-2019, 10:00 AM
Okay, I was hoping you might say that it would be easier to cast it.

That is going to be some rather intricate saw work!

ps_bond
26-11-2019, 10:29 AM
Could cast it, but by the time I'd drawn it up in CAD & printed it I could have made it. And if you're doing the work in wax, it's no worse in this case to do it in metal IMO.
So for a one-off I'd do it the traditional way.

callambx
26-11-2019, 10:35 AM
Thank you so much for your helpful advice!

What do we think will be easiest then; cut out pattern then bend the ring, or bend up the ring and then cut pattern?

Do either approach have more advantages than the other or is it preference?

Thank you!

ps_bond
26-11-2019, 10:48 AM
Cutting the pattern flat is easier initially, but can make the alignment of the ring more problematic; cutting the pattern with the ring rounded up makes for trickier sawing (but it's good practice), but removes the alignment issues.
Do both & see which you prefer.

callambx
26-11-2019, 11:14 AM
Thank you very much for your advice, will order some silver and give it a go, will let you know how I get on :)

Callum

CJ57
26-11-2019, 11:55 AM
If you are new to jewellery making then it might be worth doing some practice pieces in copper to perfect your sawing skills before doing the final piece in silver

callambx
26-11-2019, 12:17 PM
That’s a great idea! Thank you ��

Will it be similar doing to with copper? All the research I have done is on silver, are there any differences between silver and copper that I might need to take into account? I’m guessing copper is significantly cheaper :)

Additionally any recommendations on size of saw blade would be fantastic, it’s going to need to be pretty small I’d guess :)

CJ57
26-11-2019, 12:27 PM
It’s significantly cheaper and the there is a lot of waste in the project you’ve chosen to do. Sawing patterns requires a lot of practice. You’ll also need a drill to begin each section, a saw, correct blades, needle files and good light.

enigma
26-11-2019, 01:06 PM
If you haven't done any piercing it may be best to just practise that first on a flat piece of copper.

josef1
26-11-2019, 01:12 PM
You could cut it from a flat peice of wax with a paper template. Then bend and solder when cast at least with wax you can fix it if you mess up. This would be easier I think but by no means the most cost effective way.

callambx
26-11-2019, 01:22 PM
Okay, I have most of those things, just unsure which blades, can you recommend sizes?

callambx
26-11-2019, 01:22 PM
Yeah I think I’ll try on copper first and get the hang of it that way, then I’ll go over to silver :) thank you!

callambx
26-11-2019, 01:27 PM
You could cut it from a flat peice of wax with a paper template. Then bend and solder when cast at least with wax you can fix it if you mess up. This would be easier I think but by no means the most cost effective way.

I think I am going to avoid getting into casting for now and use this as an opportunity to improve my sawing skills, I’ll save the casting for a future project :)

Ianfs
26-11-2019, 01:29 PM
Okay, I have most of those things, just unsure which blades, can you recommend sizes?

Hi, check out the Cooksongold blog or Google the question (the Cooksongold link will probably come up first). Saw blade grades vary to suit the thickness of metal you are cutting. Fine teeth will also help when cutting shapes from a drilled hole. Definitely practice with copper!! Good luck. Ian

Dennis
26-11-2019, 02:16 PM
Here is a saw blade chart. You need at least three teeth touching when sawing the sheet, so the chart is not that helpful.
However don't despair, a 4/0 blade will be just right for a smooth clean cut when using 1.00mm thick metal.

Copper handles much like silver, but of course the solder will show. No bad thing as it will teach you how much you need.

Do let us follow your work in progress. Dennis.

Ruedeleglise
27-11-2019, 06:25 PM
If you are new to jewellery making then it might be worth doing some practice pieces in copper to perfect your sawing skills before doing the final piece in silver

Yes so right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk