PDA

View Full Version : blunt wire cutters :(

Jayne
26-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Does anyone know if it's possible to sharpen wire cutters? The bottom of my toolbox has become a graveyard for blunt cutters in the vain hope that I might one day be able to sharpen them again.
Just thought I'd ask before buying yet another pair.....

J x

agent_44
26-09-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm not sure about sharpening, but are you using cheap wire cutters? Might be worth investing in some more expensive ones if you are finiding you are buying lots of pairs. I wouldn't expect my cutters to go blunk quickly and I have never experienced it. Would probably be cheaper in the long run too, if you are finding you are buying them repeatedly :)

Jayne
26-09-2009, 01:27 PM
I usually plumb for the £10 - £15 cutters (is that too cheap?) and they usually last me a couple of years.
I've just looked on the Cookson site at the £30-£40 ones........gulp......I guess it would be worth it if they last forever :confused:
J x

MuranoSilver
26-09-2009, 01:29 PM
A tip I found useful is don't cut plated costume jewellery wire with nice cutters (tends to nick them)
I have a scragged pair for stuff like that and a pair I use just for silver.
Nicx

Jayne
26-09-2009, 01:34 PM
A tip I found useful is don't cut plated costume jewellery wire with nice cutters (tends to nick them)
I have a scragged pair for stuff like that and a pair I use just for silver.
Nicx

Ah!.....thanks Nic :)
That could be a factor as I still mock pieces up in plate before using the real thing.
J x

caroleallen
26-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Once you've tried the more expensive ones, you'll never go back. I've just bought some Lindstrom flush cutters and they're wonderful!

Emerald
26-09-2009, 02:31 PM
I bought these shears 22 years ago probably from suttons and i cut everything with them and they have never been sharpened, they where also the more expensive.

Di Sandland
26-09-2009, 02:33 PM
When I had that massive spending spree a couple of weeks ago (when I bought the kiln that has yet to be used) I got a couple of pairs of Lindstrom pliers - I truly don't know how I managed with the others I had after using these. Worth every penny.

bustagasket
26-09-2009, 02:46 PM
dont make me add things to my ever increasing wish list!!! :'(

agent_44
26-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Yes, I have never heard of a pair of Lindstroms wearing out! There are other brands but those are probably easiest to get hold of in the UK. I recently bought some Xuron cutters after mangling my v expensive ones with some metal I shouldn't have been cutting with then (idiot! :(|). They are lower in cost but pretty good quality, I can't say about longevity but so far I am very pleased with them.

Jayne
26-09-2009, 04:13 PM
thanks everyone - good advice :)
I now know what I need to do and it involves Santa ;)
J x

Di Sandland
26-09-2009, 04:58 PM
J x

Santa is a very popular guy round these ere parts ;)

Emerald
26-09-2009, 05:10 PM
J x

Well you will be waiting a while cos he has got to come here first with my fully insulated shed with internet connection water and electricity, a kiln, a torch for lampwork a lampwork teacher and housing for my polishing mop and a rolling mill.....oh yeah forgot those where all IN MY DREAMS:'(

Green Beetle
26-09-2009, 05:57 PM
When I had that massive spending spree a couple of weeks ago (when I bought the kiln that has yet to be used) I got a couple of pairs of Lindstrom pliers - I truly don't know how I managed with the others I had after using these. Worth every penny.

I am hankering after some Lindstrom flush cutters - which would you recommend, there seem to be different types of flush cutter? Also, would the Ultra flush cutters be a better buy (apart from goodbye to yet more of dwindling ££££)?