PDA

View Full Version : Polishing for beginners?

Jimbob79
11-11-2019, 09:26 PM
Hi,

I know everybody has their own preferences with polishing silver but what is the easiest/best product to use? I've brought an orbital mulitool and keen to get the best result.

Thanks,

Jim

Dennis
12-11-2019, 09:28 AM
Large items neee a jewellers polishing lathe, preferably with a hood and dust extraction.

For smaller items a flex shaft or micromotor with tools for the handpiece. At a pinch the Dremel with variable speeds

You might also research the Jool Tool, a more recent innovation Jooltool by Annie https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=jooltool+by+annie, Which is a more recent innovation.

Orbital mutitool? I dont think so. Dennis.

CJ57
12-11-2019, 11:25 AM
I couldn’t think what an orbital was and only know about orbital sanders! I’ve always had a bench polisher as when I trained a pendant was only occasionally used now it’s the first go to for polishing. I’ve more recently got a micromotor as it more flexible and I still rarely use it as I don’t make a lot of small pieces and even polish my earrings on the bench polisher

Jimbob79
12-11-2019, 12:05 PM
Hi,

It's a cheaper version of a dremmal with a flexi head. I'm looking for a good compound/cream for use on silver
James

china
12-11-2019, 01:03 PM
I use Dialux and always have, I seem to get the same results as some of the more expensive variants, and I use a bench polisher for 99% of my work
I have never seen a orbital Multitool the ones I have come across oscillate only, either way I can't see it being much use for polishing jewellery

ps_bond
12-11-2019, 01:23 PM
I suppose I could glue a leather pad to a blunt blade for my multitool and coat it with polish for flat surfaces. A bit unwieldy though.

There's a massive assortment of compounds out there - traditional Tripoli & rouge, Dialux, Luxi (which I don't much care for), Menzerna (my preferred brand). There's solutions in each of those polishes that'll work well on silver. Don't think there's any creams though.

china
12-11-2019, 01:49 PM
I would love to try Menzerna seems to have very favorable reviews, can't get in Australia and the postage cost is just too expensive

CJ57
12-11-2019, 01:55 PM
I suppose I could glue a leather pad to a blunt blade for my multitool and coat it with polish for flat surfaces. A bit unwieldy though.

There's a massive assortment of compounds out there - traditional Tripoli & rouge, Dialux, Luxi (which I don't much care for), Menzerna (my preferred brand). There's solutions in each of those polishes that'll work well on silver. Don't think there's any creams though.

I moved on to luxi as everyone was moving to menzerna. I find it clogs and I pick up the rouge and tripoli again. Are there different grades of menzerna?

ps_bond
12-11-2019, 02:04 PM
There's about 20 for metal polishing... Different ones for different metals.

I loathe Luxi - I don't feel it gives a good finish and I find it no easier to remove than any other polish.

As for Menzerna in Australia - it's odd, I can find loads of people carrying the auto polish products, but not much of the solid compound.
https://metalshine.com.au/?s=menzerna&post_type=product for example

china
12-11-2019, 02:16 PM
Yes Peter you can get the auto polish, I have contacted a few of them I suggested they could include in there next order and they are not interested in obtaining it for me ( old fashioned service is disappearing )