PDA

View Full Version : Gimp question

fi79
26-09-2009, 10:02 AM
OK - so I've bought some gimp to use for the ends of necklaces. Never used it before. Just wondering if more experienced peeps can tell me - do I try and get it in the crimp before I crimp it to hold it in place or will it stay in place by itself if the loop is tight enough anyway? Or do I try and pop it under the crimp cover? Am I making any sense? Can I fit any more questions in this post? :confused: Do you now all think I'm mental? :confused: OK - I'll stop now. Thanks in advance!! :D

bustagasket
26-09-2009, 10:10 AM
I use gimp but i dont use crimps so i am afraid i cannot help you :(

Trudy
26-09-2009, 10:42 AM
I found this...

Use French Wire (AKA Bullion or Gimp) (http://beadwork.about.com/cs/beadshowtos/ht/frenchwire.htm)

hth :)

kymbi
26-09-2009, 11:56 AM
The gimp doesn't go inside the crimp, but sit on a loop just above it - if you pull the thread tight enough through the crimp bead, then the gimp loop will stay in place. Make sure you cut the gimp neatly first so that there are no loose bits to snag. If you want, you can hide the join between gimp and crimp with a crimp cover. Hope this makes sense?

OMG - gimp, crimp, loop, hoop...good job I'm not saying it out loud or it would sound like a tonguetwister.

fi79
26-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Trudi and Kymbi thanks for these tips. I'll give it a go later and see how I get on! Cheers!:Y: