PDA

View Full Version : PMC Gizmos...Thumbs up or down...

Solunar Silver Studio
26-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Following Nic's (Murano) link to polishing papers in a previous thread I have been having a look at other tools to use with pmc and was wondering how well they work...they sound like a good idea theoretically...

For instance - has anyone tried the Makins Clay Extruder with clay core extruder attachments... We had something similar - but on a huge scale - wall mounted in the Ceramics Studio and that was brilliant. So does this work....or are you left with 50 quids worth of pmc clogged on the inside of it!!

And back to the polishing papers... Are the Japanese ones better? And do you need to go down to 1 micron??

MuranoSilver
26-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Clay Extruder
Didn't get on with it but there are folks who swear by them...
(I just sweared at them)
I tried the makins professional extruder, it was consigned to the drawer,
but I use it with fimo now so all was not lost :)

I was trying to make smooth tubes for bails but they never quite came out well enough.
For making little threads and other things they're probably quite good though

Polishing Papers
I only go down to 1 micron when the piece is a master for moulding or something similar (other than that it's the tumbler)

Hope that helps
Nicx

fi79
26-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Hi,

I love my polishing papers - think I have the 3M ones - wouldn't know about the Japanese ones. Although I've just bought a tumbler so hopefully I won't need to put in as much elbow grease from now on!

Haven't used an extruder but I've always had the same suspicion as you. I have enouh problems getting clay stuck if I forget to badger balm my texture mats never inside a wee tube!