PDA

View Full Version : Earrings - too much swing?

Sheen
31-10-2019, 08:13 AM
Hi all, made some dangly earrings just over an inch in length, there's a pearl on one end and a stud post on the other. They're very swingy, acting like pendulums. Is this a problem? Or do women like earrings with a lot of movement. Will be interested to hear your opinion on this :D

joella
31-10-2019, 09:24 AM
Hi sheen,
I guess it depends just how much they swing, but if it seems too much - maybe if they are attached to the stud via jump ring, then maybe a smaller jump ring, giving a snugger fit would allow less room for movement? Do you have a pic?

CJ57
31-10-2019, 09:45 AM
Many of my customers like movement in their earrings. It depends on the person really, it’s one of those how long is a piece of string moments. I’m not sure there is a right it depends on the woman wearing them.

Dennis
31-10-2019, 10:16 AM
One of my recipients is very animated and watching her on video, giving a talk wearing long swaying earrings, I was struck by how distracting this was.

It made me resolve to reduce the number of joints for danglies, or use an ear hook with no joints at all. As Caroline suggests, ask the recipient what they would like. Dennis.

pearlescence
01-11-2019, 08:51 AM
I personally dislike joined drops in any way shape or form. All our drop earrings are fixed. The articulated drops I see are all full drilled pearls wire wrapped to a hook. That screams hobby maker to me

Sheen
01-11-2019, 09:56 AM
Quick picture. Was travelling yesterday so today i'm rough as a badger's bottom. I'll try and be coherent. Pearlesence, know what you mean about wrapped loops, will bear it in mind ;) are half drilled pearls more expense than fully drilled? I have a feeling they are. Dennis at the moment no recipients to ask as not selling at moment :( so it's purely for the joy of making. I take it when you're talking about ear hooks with no joint it's those one's that are soldered directly into the earring?

Dennis
01-11-2019, 10:40 AM
I take it when you're talking about ear hooks with no joint it's those one's that are soldered directly into the earring?

Yes, below they are at their simplest. These have a fastener out of sight below, but they can have a hinge as well. (original picture done on copier, before I had camera).

I do like your folded ribbons. Dennis

CJ57
01-11-2019, 11:13 AM
I do a fixed wire on on a lot of my earrings. Without fail the concern has been that there wouldn’t be enough movement which there is. Other customers want a ring and a separate fitting on the top so there is swing.Women have very different tastes and it not to do how it looks to other people it’s how they feel when they’re wearing them

Sheen
01-11-2019, 11:51 AM
Yes, below they are at their simplest. These have a fastener out of sight below, but they can have a hinge as well. (original picture done on copier, before I had camera).

I do like your folded ribbons. Dennis

Thankyou, i'm very excited about the ribbon concept :)

Sheen
01-11-2019, 11:52 AM
I do a fixed wire on on a lot of my earrings. Without fail the concern has been that there wouldn’t be enough movement which there is. Other customers want a ring and a separate fitting on the top so there is swing.Women have very different tastes and it not to do how it looks to other people it’s how they feel when they’re wearing them

There's so many ways to do a particular idea, sometimes it's mind mangling :)

china
01-11-2019, 11:55 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, some will like it and some won't, not really any any hard and fast rules

Sheen
01-11-2019, 09:06 PM
Something i've always wondered with stud earrings with an attached dangle is whether you need to take into account clearance for the lobe? Can you have a bulky dangle close to the stud?

CJ57
01-11-2019, 09:40 PM
I think you’re overthinking as put a group of women together of all ages who may have been wearing heavy earrings or just studs since they were young, you’d be amazed at the different lengths of an earlobe! I don’t have pierced ear but if you do I’d suggest it’s worthwhile road testing them, I used to get a friend in but now I just use the sticks you give customers to try them on. I would say the earring should start below the lobe preferably but......!
I also had the problem last year of giving a pr of earrings to a friend then it transpired that one of her ears sat flat against her head and the other sat normally and the earrings hung differently. Matching ears are always useful let alone matching earrings:) she asked me what I could do!

Dennis
01-11-2019, 10:10 PM
Something i've always wondered with stud earrings with an attached dangle is whether you need to take into account clearance for the lobe? Can you have a bulky dangle close to the stud?

This is my most common construction and clearance is is more certain by having the jump ring of the stud edge on and not flat against the ear lobe.
But as Caroline has said, the lobe is so soft that it probably doesn't matter. Dennis.

pearlescence
02-11-2019, 12:00 PM
Quick picture. Was travelling yesterday so today i'm rough as a badger's bottom. I'll try and be coherent. Pearlesence, know what you mean about wrapped loops, will bear it in mind ;) are half drilled pearls more expense than fully drilled? I have a feeling they are. Dennis at the moment no recipients to ask as not selling at moment :( so it's purely for the joy of making. I take it when you're talking about ear hooks with no joint it's those one's that are soldered directly into the earring?

Yes half drilled are more expensive but they are also of much better quality generally - which also shows in hobby v professional.
And the findings are designed and made in one piece

pearlescence
02-11-2019, 12:04 PM

The practical side of me wonders what will happen when the ribbon gets dirty or not so crisp on the edges. It was the same with that craze for necklaces and bracelets fastened with a bow not a clasp. Ribbon only looks crisp and smart for a limited time.

Sheen
02-11-2019, 03:15 PM
The practical side of me wonders what will happen when the ribbon gets dirty or not so crisp on the edges. It was the same with that craze for necklaces and bracelets fastened with a bow not a clasp. Ribbon only looks crisp and smart for a limited time.

I wondered that so the whole earring is designed to be washable. Did ask a jewellery shop too and she wasn't worried about it. They're not going to be something you wear regularly I think ;)

Sheen
02-11-2019, 03:18 PM
This is my most common construction and clearance is is more certain by having the jump ring of the stud edge on and not flat against the ear lobe.
But as Caroline has said, the lobe is so soft that it probably doesn't matter. Dennis.

Ah Dennis that's another thing I've been debating, should a jump ring be flat against the ear, thanks ;) ps great earrings

Sheen
02-11-2019, 03:22 PM
I think you’re overthinking as put a group of women together of all ages who may have been wearing heavy earrings or just studs since they were young, you’d be amazed at the different lengths of an earlobe! I don’t have pierced ear but if you do I’d suggest it’s worthwhile road testing them, I used to get a friend in but now I just use the sticks you give customers to try them on. I would say the earring should start below the lobe preferably but......!
I also had the problem last year of giving a pr of earrings to a friend then it transpired that one of her ears sat flat against her head and the other sat normally and the earrings hung differently. Matching ears are always useful let alone matching earrings:) she asked me what I could do!

Surgery?
I do have pierced ears, but my earlobes are practically non existant, so I have lots of clearance. Overthinking? That's my middle name :)

CJ57
02-11-2019, 03:38 PM
Surgery?
I do have pierced ears, but my earlobes are practically non existant, so I have lots of clearance. Overthinking? That's my middle name :)
I knew here well enough to say there is nothing I can do about the shape of your ear and as she’s heading for 70 they’ve probably been like that a while!

It’s a bit like everything else to do with jewellery, so many physical shapes and sizes of women, their ears, necks and wrists.

Sheen
02-11-2019, 04:16 PM
I knew here well enough to say there is nothing I can do about the shape of your ear and as she’s heading for 70 they’ve probably been like that a while!

It’s a bit like everything else to do with jewellery, so many physical shapes and sizes of women, their ears, necks and wrists.

I find wrist size interesting as it doesn't relate to weight at all. There's lots of big lady's out there with delicate wee wrists

Dennis
02-11-2019, 05:05 PM
The next thing will be ear straightening. Mark my words.

Sheen
02-11-2019, 05:07 PM

They do that with babies now so their ears don't set in a sticking out position ;)

CJ57
02-11-2019, 05:31 PM

I think that’s done with heavy earrings Dennis! With old age I’m finding a lot of things could do with straightening though. Maybe my friend lies on one side more than the other, it wasn’t so much the ear that was different but the lobe had a twist.