PDA

View Full Version : London sponsors mark assistance please

Cumbria watches
25-10-2019, 02:27 PM
Dear All

I am looking to try and trace the pictured london sponsors mark - The sponsor made some watch cases in the year shown (1999) and someone has damaged the case so i wish to approach them to see if they can make a new case / repair the old one.

Any help most appreciated as GDPR is stopping the officials give me the makers details

The watch is a Geneve swiss watch, the mark appears to be ELU from london

thank you

ps_bond
25-10-2019, 02:36 PM
It's a bone of contention amongst a number that the Assay Offices are taking this approach with GDPR - if you're lucky, someone might recognise it.

Personally, I feel GDPR is a piece of poorly thought out legislation that is being interpreted in ways that were never intended. But that's close to politics...

Cumbria watches
25-10-2019, 03:18 PM
thank you - yes i totally agree in this instance, everyone is so scared of GDPR that it hinders advanced working practices

CJ57
25-10-2019, 04:59 PM
Having said that Edinburgh once told someone I’d made their piece of jewellery and I’d never seen it in my life. It looked quite a bit before my time in style!
Don’t talk to me about GDPR a woman went ballistic at me at the OS a couple of years ago. In the case of the assay office, what is now the point of registering a mark which used to not only be a record for them but also to be recognised by others as the maker, seems a bit pointless now. Surely they could ask the maker if it’s ok and get round it that way.

pearlescence
26-10-2019, 05:58 PM
You could ask the assay office if they have an email on record for the maker and if so would they send a brief email asking the maker to get in touch with you or would they forward one from you with the whole situation?