PDA

View Full Version : Gallery won't use my name!!!

Rustic Charm
25-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Hi everyone,
Sorry about this being long winded but i hope someone can help me!

i've had my jewellery in a gallery since july and have sold a few bits and got a couple of comissions, but my problem is the owner will not display my name with my jewellery!!
i'm not looking for star billing or anything i just would like my name mentioned on my display. Other things they are displaying have the makers/artists name on, but for some reason i can't!
when i mentioned this in the beginning they said that if people ask they will tell them which is how i have got the comissions but i feel i would like to have this recognition, especially as others now have their names show.Last time i topped up the display i put a very discreet name plaque on the back of my display (as it is in the window) but this has been removed.
How can i over come this without losing my chance to display???????????????

Di Sandland
25-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Well that doesn't sound right! They've given you no reason as to why? Its a tough one because you seem to be getting the commissions. Me? I'd throw a wobbly and tell them to stuff it - but that's not what I suggest you do.

Maybe somebody less pig-headed than me will have a better idea. :X

Emerald
25-09-2009, 05:10 PM
sorry me pig headed to:'(

Petal
25-09-2009, 05:12 PM
I'd suggest you research other galleries and see if they will take your jewellery with your name displayed and then use that as a bargaining tool with gallery no 1. That way, you might get your jewellery into another gallery as well, or if gallery no 1 won't change their mind, you could use gallery 2 to display your jewellery if they agree to it.

The other thing is maybe discreetly approach the other people who do have their names displayed (if you think you can trust them?) and see how they approached the name thing??

The other thing is, is that the gallery owner who said no to you, or the person who 'does' in the gallery? Perhaps you could say you're reviewing the situation with them and you've had offers from elsewhere that will display your name and why won't they? Sometimes a bit of bluffing works, sometimes it doesn't .... so if you research the other galleries you might get lucky with both??

Hope that helps :) let us know how you get on.

The Dragon
25-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Maybe try a different tack and ask them what criteria you need to meet in order to display your own details as other artists do. I know you don't want to loose the opportunity but it's worth remembering that they are getting kudos out of each sale and commission as well, it will be their name that will get mentioned when people comment on one of your pieces. The other suggestion is to find out who their main competitior is, if they have one, and arrange an appointment with them. If they think you are having success then they may be more flexible in offering you a deal to tempt you away.

Try not to let it get you down, your work is selling, you are getting commissions so your are doing somethiing right.

Remember how frustrated you feel now and when you've grown too big for them you can take great pleasure in telling them why they are not good enough to house your work. [[]]

Boo
25-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Do you not have a written agreement with such terms covered?

lesley
25-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Do you mean they won't use any name at all or just a business name?

I have a few pieces in a gallery in Harrogate and they will use my name but not Elel Jewellery. The jewellery in the gallery is also sold through their website and I can see how they don't want to compete with my website.

Rustic Charm
25-09-2009, 06:18 PM
they won't use any name at all!!

Lisa Quinn
25-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Their attitude makes no sense to me at all, surely it would be to their advantage to promote the items as individually handcrafted designer jewellery, I think that you may have to have "diva" moment !

EmmaRose
25-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Thats a bit tough- should be one rule to cover all! You could point out having a designers name is a good selling point. But on the whole I agree with approaches above, they seem dilpomatic. If that doesn't work, send in the Cookson girlz (thats is ladies :D)
Em

agent_44
25-09-2009, 08:28 PM
That's all very odd, have you asked them to explain why they wont use your name but they will for some of their other designers? It'll be easier to argue your case if you understand their reasoning I think!

Rustic Charm
25-09-2009, 08:33 PM
i'm gonna try to go see them in the coming week(when I've plucked up courage) and try and tackle them about it, will let you know if anything changes but please keep the advice coming!!!!!!!!!!!! x x x

Boo
25-09-2009, 09:34 PM
You didn't comment about a written agreement, so maybe you don't have one - it would outline details like this and who insures the items, what happens if one is stolen or damaged etc. Maybe one would be a good idea for your own future protection. There are sample ones on-line you can use as a basis to draw one up. I started a draft one, loosely based on ones I'd seen, but haven't bothered to put any stock out like that, so have never used it. Look for Consignment Agreement - they'll be mainly US based ones, but it will give you some ideas.

I have something similar for other professional arrangements, like stck photography use and design work - which covers things like credits for my work, copyright etc. They can be pretty simple, you don't need a lawyer to draw one up necessarily, but I'd recommend getting some of the arrangements at least confirmed in writing if you haven't already - me insisting on confirming one piece of work in writing (just a letter listing what we'd discussed and agreed), won me the resulting court case. I've had enough legal tussles over the years to habitually put everything in writing now. Or maybe I'm just overly suspicious and un-trusting.

I think you at least deserve an explanation of the disparity is naming other work. Good luck.

Jayne
25-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Boo,
you really do have a post-grad from the University of Life, don't you? ;)

J x

MuranoSilver
25-09-2009, 10:28 PM
I must admit I have a range of other designers in my shop but I don't and won't display a designers name if they sell the same pieces direct.
e.g. I'm trial stocking Penny Warrens work but if you go to her website she has designs and stockists (not direct sales areas).
Nick Hubbard (my favourite designer) sells direct but has a different range for direct sales and exclusives for shops and galleries.

Maybe they have similar concerns and maybe they don't want anyone else stocking you locally too (protecting you their asset ;))
nic x

Boo
25-09-2009, 10:39 PM
you really do have a post-grad from the University of Life, don't you? ;)
I've learned a lot of lessons the hard way. I've been self employed and working alone for 22 years - if I don't look after me, no one else does.

Rustic Charm
26-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Update, i popped in the gallery today and to my surprise and delight my name plaque is now back on my display!!!:dance: i'm sooo happy, i'm proud of my work and i just wanted the recognition, maybe they picked up on "the vibes" of our discussion!!!! any how i don't care why it's happened i'm just glad it has so i don't end up with a confrontation.
thanks everyone for your advice i will refer to it in future i'm sure x x x x:ta:

agent_44
26-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Oh well, there you go then! Maybe they had a think and decided you were being treated unfairly.

lesley
26-09-2009, 04:34 PM
How weird......but great news!

Di Sandland
26-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Brilliant news - I'm sort of sad we didn't have to ride to your rescue tho ;)

Lisa Quinn
26-09-2009, 07:54 PM
That's brilliant, these sort of things fester and eat away at you, so it must be such a relief, I'm really pleased for you, hope you are feeling much better now.

LOL
Lisa x

bustagasket
26-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Oh Bridget I am so pleased for you, I think i would be tickled pink. (Mind you i would be ticked pink if i thought someone was wearing something of mine let alone having it dsplayed in a gallery lol)

Di Sandland
27-09-2009, 02:41 AM
Send me something Su and I'll gladly wear it!