PDA

View Full Version : Vibratory walnut polishing issues

Simso
12-09-2019, 10:11 AM
Hi folks, have a vibratory polisher with walnut media, it has a liquid additive to allow it to polish, but it appears to be pretty useless, i ran it for 5 hrs and it made no difference to the parts i placed into the unit.

My goal is to use it to clean small musical instrument parts, that is for example a nickle silver key that is heavily tarnished, if i take it and put it up against a mop with some rouge it comes up like shiny silver.

So my question, should i add some rouge that i use on my mops into the walnut media to help with the polishing or something else.

Steve

josef1
12-09-2019, 10:36 AM
I never add any liguid just rouge powder works fine take a few hours though. Great on tarnished silver.

Dennis
12-09-2019, 10:47 AM
No, it's the walnut that is useless. Get the corrosion off with ceramic media. I'm not well up on this, so you might browse here:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&ei=fiB6XeT-LLCDhbIP9pa98AM&q=media+for+vibratory+jewellery+cleaner+&oq=media+for+vibratory+jewellery+cleaner+&gs_l=psy-ab.12...23959.50686..54496...0.2..0.115.1431.20j1. .....0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j33i160.--NLIqRhx9g&ved=0ahUKEwjktdeSjMvkAhWwQUEAHXZLDz4Q4dUDCAsDennis Dennis.

china
12-09-2019, 11:20 AM
I have never done this with jewellery or musical instruments parts however I have had very good results with fired brass, load the vibrator and start it running then use a grater and grate some tripoli into the mix

Simso
12-09-2019, 02:18 PM
I have never done this with jewellery or musical instruments parts however I have had very good results with fired brass, load the vibrator and start it running then use a grater and grate some tripoli into the mix

Will definetly give that a go before i throw the shell away

Steve