PDA

View Full Version : Dial Numbers on old Kerr Kiln

janetb
15-08-2019, 04:56 PM
Hi!

Does anyone perchance know what temperatures the numbers on the dial correspond to on an old Kerr Inlay Furnace (enamelling kiln)? The the dial markings are: Low, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, High. I dug up my kiln but the instructions are elsewhere.… Attaching a photo.

Thanks!

Dennis
15-08-2019, 08:45 PM
Hi Janet,
I think you will find that the primary use for this kiln is to melt dental gold alloys, so you can assume that the top limit is around 1000°C.
In the absence of a manual, I would suggest you put in some sterling scrap in a small crucible at say setting 3. If after about 15 minutes the metal has melted, this will be 800°C, which is also what you require for enamelling.

If not, step it up to 4 and wait, progressing until you have a result. Dennis.

janetb
15-08-2019, 09:29 PM
Hi Janet,
I think you will find that the primary use for this kiln is to melt dental gold alloys, so you can assume that the top limit is around 1000°C.
In the absence of a manual, I would suggest you put in some sterling scrap in a small crucible at say setting 3. If after about 15 minutes the metal has melted, this will be 800°C, which is also what you require for enamelling.

If not, step it up to 4 and wait, progressing until you have a result. Dennis.

It goes up to 2000 F. It has a thermostat and a temperature gauge, so knowing the exact temperature is not an issue....:-)....

Here is a piece I did many, many, many years ago in it:

Each plique-a-jour flower is made individually and riveted.

Dennis
16-08-2019, 09:26 AM
Dear Janet, I'm sorry that I seem to have answered the wrong question, but since you already have all the information you need, as shown by the temperature gauge, I am puzzled to know what you were asking that you could not work out from that. Regards, Dennis.

josef1
16-08-2019, 11:44 AM
You could use Kiln cones (Pyrometric cones) they will tell you an approx temp then mark it up yourself

china
16-08-2019, 12:01 PM
I have a friend in QLD who does some enameling she uses one of these, http://www.thermomart.com/digital-kiln-pyrometer-gauge?product_id=69

janetb
18-08-2019, 05:41 PM
Hi Dennis,

The manual says what temps the numbers stand for--I was hoping someone might have it or be familiar enough with this kiln to know. At the time I got it, it was very popular for enamelling. I assume they didn't put the temps on the dial because the temp gauge shows both centigrade and Farenheit and there wouldn't be room for both. I guess I'll just have to take the time to check out what temp each number gets to.

Thanks for your efforts!
Janet in Jerusalem